Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
17 months positive home strep test

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 5:45 pm
Would you treat?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 5:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would you treat?

Please take YOUR pediatricians advice, not the advice of random women on the internet....

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 5:59 pm
You took a strept culture at home and it's positive. You're asking some cyber strangers if you should treat it??? Are you a pediatrician? Are we a pediatrician?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 6:00 pm
I assume she's asking because a lot of pediatricians don't treat strep under age 3.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 6:01 pm
Under the age of 2 there is no risk of rheumatic fever, so often children are not treated for strep. However, it depends on how sick your kid is, and if you have recurring strep in the home in your older kids (this kid could be passing it on). You have to weigh those as well when determining whether to treat.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 6:02 pm
Ectomorph, So she should follow her pediatrician's advice. Because I would or wouldn't treat, it doesn't mean that she should do the same. It's not something to decide on your own. She anyways needs to go to the doctor if she wants antibiotics.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 6:03 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Under the age of 2 there is no risk of rheumatic fever, so often children are not treated for strep. However, it depends on how sick your kid is, and if you have recurring strep in the home in your older kids (this kid could be passing it on). You have to weigh those as well when determining whether to treat.

Thank you, this was helpful.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 6:04 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Ectomorph, So she should follow her pediatrician's advice. Because I would or wouldn't treat, it doesn't mean that she should do the same. It's not something to decide on your own. She anyways needs to go to the doctor if she wants antibiotics.

Agreed. She did it at home. Op, ask your doctor.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 6:04 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I assume she's asking because a lot of pediatricians don't treat strep under age 3.

She should follow her pediatricians advice. She should call her pediatrician, tell him/her she got a positive, and ask their advice.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:29 pm
Is there a family history of rheumatic fever or other autoimmune reactions to strep? that would make a big difference to me. either way I would try to treat herbally and with blisk12 probiotics and reswab in a week or 2.

bnm

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:38 pm
You obviously tested for a reason and not just a random 'line up all the kids on the block and lets see if this testing kit really works'. Also, call the pediatrician.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics