Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Is subzero worth the $$$?

ilovegod

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 1:56 am
I need a new fridge/freezer. I have the space, is subzero worth it? Or the lesser brands good enough something with space to keep everything

Plonis

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 2:26 am
https://blog.yaleappliance.com.....rices
https://www.houzz.com/discussi.....th-it

meme6

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 2:52 am
The copy sub zero people are having major issues with them!

thanks

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 7:54 am
meme6 wrote:
The copy sub zero people are having major issues with them!

I have the Frigidaire fridge and freezer. It's great. Lots of room and counter depth. No issues. Very happy with it. And it has shabbos mode too.

cbg

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 8:02 am
I have the Electrolux similar to the Frigidaire mentioned above
I love it
The only thing I don’t like is that it didn’t come panel ready
If you are looking for a seamless look (not sure what it’s called) where you can’t tell where the refrigerator is because it looks like the cabinets then go with SUB-ZERO
If not, then it’s not worth it

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 9:49 am
It depends on what your budget is - what your house is worth and what your needs are.

The Subzero is going to last many many years longer than almost any refrigerator on the market. My friend's SZ is still working fine after 30 years and she is just starting to think about replacing it.

If you are planning to spend this much on a refrigerator, then the SZ is the only one to consider as it is higher quality than the other built in brands.

The SZ has a separate compressor and other stuff that theoretically make it a "better" refrigerator than standard models. I generally have had no issues with my KA regular refrigerators which seem to keep foods for a reasonable period of time but you can probably learn about this functionality when you make a decision.

The only way to get the really expensive built in look is with an integrated refrigerator and for that look you need the Subzero or one of the other expensive models. An integrated refrigerator looks completely built in and the doors are hinged so that they can open even flush with the counters and cabinets. A so-called counter depth refrigerator will still protrude a bit because the doors need clearance. You can fake a more integrated look somewhat which is something I did with my KA counter depth for my recent remodel.

A paneled integrated SZ refrigerator is gorgeous - there is no doubt about that. I am not neat enough to even consider a glass fronted refrigerator but that is also a trend.

If you home is above a certain price point, buyers will expect a SZ refrigerator. I am not familiar with homes in Monsey but in LA this is true as an upscale kitchen will be expected to have a SZ refrigerator.

In the end, it comes down to your budget and somewhat the value of your home. A SZ is not something that most "middle income" people would install in their middle class homes. It is not installed solely because it is a "better" refrigerator because the price is too high. If you can afford it - why not. The people who I know who have one really like them and the person I know who is thinking of purchasing a new replacement is going to replace the 30 year old SZ with a new SZ.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

ilovegod

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:48 am
I was thinking to get the cheaper route of Electrolux or Frigidaire. But they have a very commercial look to it. Subzero is way more than triple the cost of others. Thanks all for your input. How about gas/oven. Would u spend on that for higher end look? Size? Or regular standard will just do the job?

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:02 am
ilovegod wrote:
I was thinking to get the cheaper route of Electrolux or Frigidaire. But they have a very commercial look to it. Subzero is way more than triple the cost of others. Thanks all for your input. How about gas/oven. Would u spend on that for higher end look? Size? Or regular standard will just do the job?

Are you asking about a gas oven or a gas range or a gas cooktop with separate wall ovens.

Most people do not want a gas oven.

There are a lot more excellent choices for very high end cooking appliances versus refrigerators where the SUbzero is the clear choice. You would have to state what your cooking objectives are to get meaningful advice.

Of course in the ultra high end there is nothing as beautiful as a Lacanche at least to me if you have the budget. Very Happy Aga are also gorgeous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars