Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Is it worth it
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:02 am
I lived in Brooklyn and got my bachelor's in special ed. I got married and moved to nj. Bh. I was told that I shouldn't bother continuing on to get a master's bc there's no special ed in Lakewood and you don't need your masters to get a job . My friend had her master's moved to Lakewood and she wasn't even able to use it she said it was a waste of time and money is this true ??? Should I not continue .

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:20 am
Lakewood is free of children with special needs? How did they accomplish that? Or kids with special needs have to leave the city limits for school? Come on and do your research. There are very well known special education centers in Lakewood. I think your friend means the services provided by the state/city is not the same as it is in NYC - but the same can be said about most other cities in the US. NYC seems to spend more than anywhere else on free services.

I promise you, there are jobs to be had in sped in Lakewood. Just not the hourly SEIT jobs like in NYC. Take a look through the job wanted section of papers, job sites, etc. I just did a quick google and found at least 10 open at this moment.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:30 am
watergirl wrote:
Lakewood is free of children with special needs? How did they accomplish that? Or kids with special needs have to leave the city limits for school? Come on and do your research. There are very well known special education centers in Lakewood. I think your friend means the services provided by the state/city is not the same as it is in NYC - but the same can be said about most other cities in the US. NYC seems to spend more than anywhere else on free services.

I promise you, there are jobs to be had in sped in Lakewood. Just not the hourly SEIT jobs like in NYC. Take a look through the job wanted section of papers, job sites, etc. I just did a quick google and found at least 10 open at this moment.

I think she means that the market is flooded and the pay is not as good as in New York.

There are always special ed jobs available, but they may not be the salary or hours that she is looking for.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:36 am
I'm not saying that why are u so fast to.jump down my back. I'm saying thay u can work special ed jobs in Lakewood without a degree anyways so what's the point of getting my degree if I'm gonna get paid the same as let's say my sister in law who doesn't even have a bachelors. I wouldn't spend the money on a master's degree if I'm not gonna make the money back quick .

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:37 am
No one is working as a special educator without the degree.

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I lived in Brooklyn and got my bachelor's in special ed. I got married and moved to nj. Bh. I was told that I shouldn't bother continuing on to get a master's bc there's no special ed in Lakewood and you don't need your masters to get a job . My friend had her master's moved to Lakewood and she wasn't even able to use it she said it was a waste of time and money is this true ??? Should I not continue .

I must have misunderstood...

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not saying that why are u so fast to.jump down my back. I'm saying thay u can work special ed jobs in Lakewood without a degree anyways so what's the point of getting my degree if I'm gonna get paid the same as let's say my sister in law who doesn't even have a bachelors. I wouldn't spend the money on a master's degree if I'm not gonna make the money back quick .

I think that you can, technically, work in some jobs without a degree, but I would imagine the pay would be much better with a degree, and you would also have more options in the type of job available.

I'm not in the special ed field, though, so I'll let someone else chime in here.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:01 am
watergirl wrote:

Oh, wow, she did say that.

Sure, there is tons of special education needed in Lakewood, unfortunately...

sub

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:26 am
ABA providers are paid more than SEIT providers. So if you are going for your masters, make sure you have ABA certification.

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:29 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Oh, wow, she did say that.

Sure, there is tons of special education needed in Lakewood, unfortunately...

Yup. I didn't make it up. If she meant something different, she should have written what she meant. We can only react to what is written.

21young

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:32 am
It’s absolutely true that Special Ed jobs in Lakewood pay the same as someone working in an office without a degree, and someone starting out will often get only afternoons or other hours that nobody wants. Just look at the thread about pay in Lakewood offices. Really the way to make money with special ed in Lakewood is as an ABA or BCBA.

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:54 am
21young wrote:
It’s absolutely true that Special Ed jobs in Lakewood pay the same as someone working in an office without a degree, and someone starting out will often get only afternoons or other hours that nobody wants. Just look at the thread about pay in Lakewood offices. Really the way to make money with special ed in Lakewood is as an ABA or BCBA.

Sped pays low everywhere. Jewish or secular. The office pay in Lakewood is abnormally high. Sped is a passion driven occupation (or should be), not an occupation one enters to make big bucks.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:59 am
Catapult pays $30k a year for hours 11-4. This is why I didn’t go for my degree Sad

Chayalle

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 12:00 pm
Yup. The reason my DD didn't go for her degree (yet) is because she can make more doing medical billing without having student loans.....

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 4:28 pm
watergirl wrote:
Sped pays low everywhere. Jewish or secular. The office pay in Lakewood is abnormally high. Sped is a passion driven occupation (or should be), not an occupation one enters to make big bucks.

I have special ed certification and will be making $100K in a few years, just as a gen ed teacher does in the NYC public school system. No difference.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 8:40 pm
I ment there's no special ed in Lakewood as in the government paying jobs like seit and p3 not that there's no need for it . No need to hold my letters
watergirl wrote:

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 9:36 pm
I recently met a young lady who has an associates degree or maybe just so many credits. She says she gets paid decently in Lkwd Spec ed programs & not worth her while to go further.

I have a relative sho has post-masters' training in special ad and is now working in an office.

Another relative has a masters & worked in special ed for a few years. I think she got decent pay but once she had a few kids, afternoon hours were too difficult. She's now babysitting.

You really do need to do your research.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:08 pm
I would make a good $15,000 less than I do now if I wouldn't have a master's. I can't be a teacher in the place I work now (special Ed, in Lakewood) without my masters

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 2:11 am
If I was a parent in Lakewood with a child needing special services, I would hope that the people hired by the school to help them had some knowledge of what they are doing. How can someone be working in special ed without a degree?! As an educator, why would you want to put yourself in a position trying to help kids in such important ways without gaining the tools and knowledge you need to actually help them?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 11:40 am
I live in lakewood, I know what she means, from my friends in special ed, the opportunities and money is much better in NY. Even with the same degree.you can work in a school as a tutor, p3 and catapult get paid better in NY. NJ jewish schools or the providers take a big percentage from the salary.There are no SEIT. Working with special children is a harder job. For part time hours I have friends that do early intervention and that also pays less in NJ. To make the bigger salary my friend works in a public school. but she works full time and her hours are hard for a jewish family. On these short fridays she comes home right before shabbos. You can say life in NY is more expensive. NJ you get more for your buck on houses but overall weighing it all in I find it pretty even. but thats a topic for another discusion
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries