Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Romi Cohn hypospadias bris

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:55 am
Has anyone here used Rabbi Romi Cohn from Boro Park for a hypospadias bris?
I’d be really grateful if you could give me some feedback.

Dalia

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:13 am
He's a top mohel with loads of experience. I would trust him for any complicated case.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:32 am
Dalia wrote:
He's a top mohel with loads of experience. I would trust him for any complicated case.

Thank you for saying this. Do you know anyone who used him for hypospadias or even a different complicated bris?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 2:14 am
Bump. Anyone?

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 3:39 am
I don't know how up to date this info is but just a PSA.
My close relative had a complicated bris with Romi Cohen many years ago. He (my relative) was one of the cases who had the rare occurrence of severe bleeding hours later which he almost died from. It was not specifically the mohel's fault for how the actual circumcision was done but perhaps we weren't clear enough on the importance of monitoring after to check for bleeding. Romi seemed to boast that he did so many complicated brisim and there was nothing at all to worry about. I think he should have cautioned us more on the risks involved and the necessary precautions needed afterwards because it was a complicated bris situation. After bris complications can occurr with the most top experienced mohelim too, and I think it was wrong of Romi to give the impression that there was zero chance of complications.
We were also upset that the mohel left the baby afterwards with two diapers so that prevented us from catching the bleeding sooner. In a small infant even filling one diaper with blood before it leaks out can be a dangerous amount of bleeding. We were told from others after the story that due to the complicated nature of the bris he should have been put on only one diaper with holes ripped in it so that bleeding should be evident faster, and that we should have woken up and and checked the baby's wound frequently after the bris. We only caught that something wasn't right because the baby's skin color looked bad (we thought he was just sleeping) and the baby was unresponsive. Thankfully emergency EMS responders saved his life by getting him the emergency care he needed very quickly. In truth we believe the baby should have had the bris done under medical hospital supervision and post-bris care.
I would caution you to get medical advice from a urologist as well if you haven't already done so.
Mazel tov.
May you have a healthy and safe bris experience and much nachas!

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 4:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bump. Anyone?

Hi op
I have two boys with hypospadias. The mohel I used for my first (who was great) moved and so for my next one I used Rabbi Balsam. He was in touch with our urologist and he was really great! I highly recommend. Post here if you want/need his info. Or any other questions...

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 4:47 am
Just to add-my baby is seeing a urologist obviously and right now we are not doing surgery. So he sees him every 4 months to monitor bec it’s not so severe bh. He commented on what a beautiful job the mohel did... Rabbi balsam explained everything to us so clearly, how he was going to use scissors and not a knife and how it would take longer than normal bris but we shouldn’t worry etc.. and my baby bh had a very smooth recovery!
I hope you saw a urologist. The hospital told me my baby couldn’t have a bris bec was so severe. Turns out that was not the case...bh!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 5:20 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Hi op
I have two boys with hypospadias. The mohel I used for my first (who was great) moved and so for my next one I used Rabbi Balsam. He was in touch with our urologist and he was really great! I highly recommend. Post here if you want/need his info. Or any other questions...

Thanks! Which city are you in?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 5:28 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I don't know how up to date this info is but just a PSA.
My close relative had a complicated bris with Romi Cohen many years ago. He (my relative) was one of the cases who had the rare occurrence of severe bleeding hours later which he almost died from. It was not specifically the mohel's fault for how the actual circumcision was done but perhaps we weren't clear enough on the importance of monitoring after to check for bleeding. Romi seemed to boast that he did so many complicated brisim and there was nothing at all to worry about. I think he should have cautioned us more on the risks involved and the necessary precautions needed afterwards because it was a complicated bris situation. After bris complications can occurr with the most top experienced mohelim too, and I think it was wrong of Romi to give the impression that there was zero chance of complications.
We were also upset that the mohel left the baby afterwards with two diapers so that prevented us from catching the bleeding sooner. In a small infant even filling one diaper with blood before it leaks out can be a dangerous amount of bleeding. We were told from others after the story that due to the complicated nature of the bris he should have been put on only one diaper with holes ripped in it so that bleeding should be evident faster, and that we should have woken up and and checked the baby's wound frequently after the bris. We only caught that something wasn't right because the baby's skin color looked bad (we thought he was just sleeping) and the baby was unresponsive. Thankfully emergency EMS responders saved his life by getting him the emergency care he needed very quickly. In truth we believe the baby should have had the bris done under medical hospital supervision and post-bris care.
I would caution you to get medical advice from a urologist as well if you haven't already done so.
Mazel tov.
May you have a healthy and safe bris experience and much nachas!

Amen, thanks for the good wishes:)

This story is terrifying. BH all ended well.... Continued miracles for all of us, beH.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 5:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! Which city are you in?

I live in queens. But Rabbi Balsam is located in Brooklyn and he traveled. Which is why we didn’t originally use him bec someone local and very experienced did my first sons bris. My first son had much more severe hypospadias and he needed two surgeries to correct. We only confirmed he would be having a bris about 15 hours before... the mohel took enough blood to make a Brachah and give a name... it was extremely stressful. Where are you located op?We use Dr Steven Friedman as a urologist and we are very happy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics