Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
WWYD? Priority for clients or vacation?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:08 am
The only reason to ever cancel a client, is for a medical or family EMERGENCY. If you're serious about your business and care about your reputation, you don't cancel a week before the event because you want to go on vacation, that's very unfair and unprofessional. I'm sure your husband know's you're a makeup artist, he should've checked your schedule before.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:11 am
I think it would be ok to cancel IF you arrange a suitable substitute and give a deep discount (if you're paying the substitute). I think it also depends if this possibility is implied (I mean, if you had the flu, I assume you would arrange a substitute.) Things do come up.

I would be very upset if my dh would make such a "surprise".

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:11 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Reschedule your clients. Tell them something unexpected came up and go!!!!!! JUST DO IT. U NEED IT. It is unfair to the clients so what? Nothing will happen.

Why don’t you say the truth” I’m going to Florida for vacation “

Most of us “need” a vacation, we all work very hard.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:15 am
Amother taupe, you don't choose to get sick. You do choose to go on vacation. A professional does not cancel clients to go on vacation. It's not a valid reason at all.

watergirl

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:16 am
Reschedule your clients. Tell them something unexpected came up and go!!!!!! JUST DO IT. U NEED IT. It is unfair to the clients so what? Nothing will happen.

Reschedule the clients? They should change the dates of their simchas? That's not a thing. What do you mean nothing will happen if she cancels? Something big will happen. The people who need makeup will not have it. If its a kallah, she will not have makeup at her wedding. That's nothing? I dont understand you at all.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:21 am
By my sister's wedding, we booked a makeup artist that we heard great things about.on the day of the wedding, she found out that someone she was close to, actually another makeup artist, passed away. She came, but she came a little bit late and then that have time for everyone. She was amazing, and arrange for another person to come with her at the same time to do some of the faces. That person was really really good also. And we were all very happy. If the substitute has a reputation like you, and is also very good but I don't know if it's such a big deal.

happyone

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:27 am
if you find a sub you trust I think it's ok. I had a MUA cancel on me 2 days before a wedding with the excuse she has a bris. a bris she knew 8 days before , why did she wait for two days prior . plus she did not offer to help find sub. needless to say I'd never book her again or recommend her to anyone . if you give enough time and assist with finding a replacement I think anyone understands that life happens and sometimes schedules can change . as long as you do the responsible thing and find someone to cover without her feeling like you left her stranded.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:38 am
I'm not going to tell you whether you should cancel your clients or not. However, if you do decide to cancel, I think you should be the one to find an alternative competent MUA, and make sure your clients are comfortable with the replacement. They don't need the extra headache a few days before the simcha to make hundreds of calls. Besides, it's only fair that it becomes your responsibility.

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:48 am

Is this just to rile people up? I hope so

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 9:16 am
imasinger wrote:
How easy is it for you to find a good sub to do their makeup?

How easygoing is this client?

If it were me who had hired you, I'd want you to contact me, tell me the dilemma and that you had confidence in the substitute. It might smooth ruffled feathers if you offer a discount to make up for backing out (you'd pay the difference to the sub).

Then, if it were me, I'd tell you to go, and not to worry.

This is a very reasonable solution IMO.

abound

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 9:20 am
where are you located, we may have someone that is good and available the same night.........?

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 9:43 am
abound wrote:
where are you located, we may have someone that is good and available the same night.........?

People often book makeup artists for a specific look or a specific person. I wouldn't necessarily be ok with a substitute if there wasn't a REALLY good reason. And no, a vacation is not a REALLY good reason.
If you really need a vacation then schedule one and don't take clients on those days.

If my makeup artist cancelled on me for a vacation she would never get a rec from me. In a business that relies heavily on word of mouth and personal attention its a really bad idea business wise (besides for really not the right thing to do. You committed to something and you should follow through)

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:13 am
I get that life is stressful
And your husband is always working
And you need a vacatjon, I’ve been in all those boats.

That said, you are working. This is your livelihood. Your dh should have checked your schedule before booking a non refundable flight - it’s common sense. I would change the return flight to be back on time. Clients are your business - it’s your work, your deadline, cancelling is not an option imo.

essie14

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:19 am
Your husband knows that you are usually booked on Sundays if you are a make up artist. IMO, he was very wrong to "surprise" you with this. This is your livelihood and your reputation.
If I had an important project at work and couldn't take off, I would never be able to just leave my colleagues high and dry to jet off to Florida.

He should try to get a few days off when it's not your busy season and you can block off the time.

I would be extremely mad if I had booked you for my wedding and you canceled for a non emergency this close to the date. And word will most definitely spread and you may lose clients.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:25 am
The makeup artist also cancelled for my daughter's wedding about a week before. She was only hired for 2 faces but still, one was the bride. She offered a friend as an option, which we took, but it was not the same. Offering a "friend" was better than nothing, but I was not impressed with the makeup (we were looking for a natural look and it wasn't.)

As a client who spent thousands on photography, it is a real shame when the bridal makeup is not done as expected/discussed because the makeup artist was a last minute replacement we had never heard of before.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 11:01 am
If you choose to cancel, you can expect word to get around. It will have an effect on future business. You need to decide if this is worth it.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 11:16 am
I had a make up artist cancel on me with no recommendations before a close wedding. It was a little turnoff. I did go back to her for convenience but I now have a back up in back of my head in case she decides to do that again. I think you should try to move the tickets for Monday if you can.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 11:35 am
How much in advance were you booked? For what occasion? Are you a 'brand name' Artist? TBH, I would cancel clients if it was booked recently or if its not bride/mother-of-bride. Thought as a client I would be maaad!
I could live with a few clients being mad at me. I cant live with a disappointed DH.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 4:54 pm
I may have someone who can do the makeup for your clients. DM me if your interested.
Going on vacation is a big deal. I would speak to the clients fist if they would be willing to have someone else do their makeup.
Also a good idea to offer them a discount.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 5:12 pm
Your husband was dead wrong in scheduling a vacation without consulting your schedule. Its downright selfish, basically telling you that you, and your work, have no real value.

In any case, makeup artists aren't fungible. Each has a particular look. So no, bringing someone else in isn't an option. Nor is not showing up.

I'll be blunt. If you cancelled on me because you decided you had something better to do (ie, go on a vacation), I would do everything in my power to ensure you never worked again. If I ever heard that you had a booking, I would be sure to tell them that you're unreliable, and will cancel with just a few days notice if you feel like doing something else. And I'd be sure that my friends did the same. And I'd alert the staff at shuls and wedding venues. Because no one should be subjected to what you plan to do. And I say this as someone who did her own makeup for her wedding.

Man up and tell your husband that you're busy this weekend, and he needs to reschedule. Or quit your job and stay home being a little doormat saying "yes dear, whatever you want." Because its egregiously wrong to cancel a service at the last minute for anything other than an emergency.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics