Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
WWYD? Priority for clients or vacation?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:38 am
imasinger wrote:
How easy is it for you to find a good sub to do their makeup?

How easygoing is this client?

If it were me who had hired you, I'd want you to contact me, tell me the dilemma and that you had confidence in the substitute. It might smooth ruffled feathers if you offer a discount to make up for backing out (you'd pay the difference to the sub).

Then, if it were me, I'd tell you to go, and not to worry.

I echo imasinger.

If you'd find me anyone decent, I'd go with them for any event, even my own wedding, so that you can go on your surprise vacation.

I already had makeup artists call me up to explain their situatuonan and I was fine with it.

Some people ride the waves of life better than others, and your client(s) may be one of them.

I hope it works out for you.

P.s. it may be a good idea to keep a shared calendar on your phone so that hubby can surprise you better next time.

Good luck!

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:59 am
P.S. Clients who are overly obsessed and poring over Instagram, agonizing for months over which MUA to book are usually not happy with anyone they end up choosing.
It's a personality type.
I work in the beauty industry and I've seen it IRL many times over.
(Besides the fact that almost all makeup looks on Instagram are quite edited.)

Op I think you handled it well.
Amother Honeydew I understand your angst but your reaction isn't justified and is unnecessarily harsh.

heidi

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 1:20 am
My manicurist cancelled on me a week before my son's wedding and I almost had a stroke. And that was a manicure. I think OP handled it well, but I do wonder her husband's motivation in making non refundable tickets without checking with her first. Especially since the nature of her profession is to work Sundays.
To me his childish and selfish behavior is really problematic.

essie14

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:59 am
heidi wrote:
My manicurist cancelled on me a week before my son's wedding and I almost had a stroke. And that was a manicure. I think OP handled it well, but I do wonder her husband's motivation in making non refundable tickets without checking with her first. Especially since the nature of her profession is to work Sundays.
To me his childish and selfish behavior is really problematic.

I honed in on that as well. It's not as if she's a SAHM. She presumably works most Sundays. Truthfully even if she is a SAHM, I sometimes have doctor's appointments scheduled months in advance for a doctor with a long waiting list. I would be pretty angry if my husband expected me to cancel that without asking me. I know people think it's cute and romantic to do "surprises" like this, but IMO it's really selfish.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 3:32 am
To those calling DH selfish:

If this is the first time it happened, and she explains herself, he may be more clueless than selfish.

If he does this repeatedly, despite her pointing out the issue, then yes, you have a problem.

But a single mistake, even a big one, does not a selfish brat make.

Mayflower

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 4:21 am
Wow, people have such strong feelings about make-up!

Heidi, you almost had a stroke because of a cancelled manicure? Honeydew would want to ruin a MUA's career because she dared to cancel on a customer (offering a very valid alternative)?

I guess I am just very relaxed and not so fussy - I really do not see any problem in the way OP handled the situation - sounds fine to me.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:26 am
Mayflower wrote:
Wow, people have such strong feelings about make-up!

Heidi, you almost had a stroke because of a cancelled manicure? Honeydew would want to ruin a MUA's career because she dared to cancel on a customer (offering a very valid alternative)?

I guess I am just very relaxed and not so fussy - I really do not see any problem in the way OP handled the situation - sounds fine to me.

I think people have strong feelings about people not keeping their word or their commitments for not important reasons. Not necessarily about makeup.

amother
White

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 7:49 am
In general, I don’t wear makeup. At my sons bar mitzvahs sometimes I had a mua and sometimes not.
So I’m really not into it, dont do the Instagram thing or spend months looking for someone.

But when I do, I want a very specific type of artist and I want HER to show up.

Op, would dh just drop his job if you surprised him with tickets? Or would he say that he can’t because of work.
And how much more so when it involves time sensitive clients. Which doesn’t seem like dh has.

happyone

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:06 am
I'm so happy it worked out for you OP. That was handled very well without the advice of anonymous imamother. Enjoy your vacation !

Last edited by happyone on Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:10 am
happyone wrote:
I'm so happy it worker out for you OP. That was handled very well without the advice of anonymous imamother. Enjoy your vacation !

Except we don't know if the client likes the new makeup artist.
Especially since OP told her that "something came up" so the client probably assumes something to do with health or, you know, something important, not that she is leaving them in the lurch to go on a vacation

keym

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:12 am
Until recently, I would have felt Parve about it
When my brother got married, I hired a hair dresser to do my 13 yr old daughter's hair. My daughter spent weeks planning how she'd wear her hair, looking at friends pictures, etc.
The morning of the wedding, the hair dresser cancelled, no excuse, she found a replacement who was more expensive, "but if it's a really big issue, ask her to charge you the price I quoted".

End result, my daughter was miserable. She didn't look how she wanted, she looked"weird". She refuses to look at pictures now.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:15 am
I'm just so shocked by how casually people take commitments and responsibilities.

Yes, you have to take care of yourself but you can't just bail on people. Its really selfish and not right.

Especially since you can take a vacation on a day when you didn't commit to someone.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:52 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I think people have strong feelings about people not keeping their word or their commitments for not important reasons. Not necessarily about makeup.

This exactly. I totally understand saying something like makeup isn't that important for yourself. I don't understand making that decision for someone else you've committed to.

Mayflower

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 9:06 am
I hear you, but I still think that life happens and provided she offers and arranges an alternative, that should be fine.

Keeping one's word is important, but having one's priorities straight is important as well, and building a marriage should take precedence IMO.

When I have to make a difficult decision, I always try to think: in a year from now, what will have the greatest impact?

I know several posters stated they were traumatized by being stood up by a MUA, but these were cases where they weren't left in good hands. IMO, if she found a good other MUA to replace here, in a year from now, the clients (hopefully) will have forgotten, but her husband might still resent it if she refused to go on the trip with him. The memories created by a much needed getaway outlive the short term awkwardness of having a cancel on a client, or so I would think.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 9:10 am
WhatFor wrote:
This exactly. I totally understand saying something like makeup isn't that important for yourself. I don't understand making that decision for someone else you've committed to.

Its about communication.

I don't think it would have been so praise worthy if OP had flat out told her husband "no way" without consulting with her client first.

heidi

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 9:15 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:

Thanks for saying this.
When I plan a simcha everything is arranged in advance down to the last detail. Having to find new people to do makeup and yes, manicures, a week before the simcha can be an added stressor during an already stressful time.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 9:25 am
Op you don't have to share, but you didn't say why your dh booked without checking your schedule.
If he knows you're a working MUA the likelihood of you not being available is much higher.
Perhaps you're not a very booked mua and this is more of a hobby and dh wasn't expecting you to be booked? Perhaps you don't usually work on Sundays and this was an exception?
I'm trying to understand why he would do such a thing.

If this was just an innocent mistake (and not indicative of a dh that's a jerk) perhaps having a synced calendar can avoid such confusion in the future.

busy mommy

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 11:23 am
I am a very laid back person but...
I had my mua cancel on me the week before my wedding. she called and was very nice about it even offering to help find a replacement. I found someone willing to take me but it is something that I (who is not very into these things) will not forget because every time I look at my wedding pictures I remember. I envisioned a different style of makeup which my original mua was known for. again, I don't begrudge her or think she did anything wrong but for those who say who cares...this is the other side of the coin. (I hope to have only one wedding day!)

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 11:30 am
glad it worked out

maybe this happened because husband is the primary breadwinner and he was able to take off at that time and that was his primary concern and that then they could go away

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 11:33 am
busy mommy wrote:
I am a very laid back person but...
I had my mua cancel on me the week before my wedding. she called and was very nice about it even offering to help find a replacement. I found someone willing to take me but it is something that I (who is not very into these things) will not forget because every time I look at my wedding pictures I remember. I envisioned a different style of makeup which my original mua was known for. again, I don't begrudge her or think she did anything wrong but for those who say who cares...this is the other side of the coin. (I hope to have only one wedding day!)

A kallahs booking is quite different than any other simcha. I'm sure if op had a kallah booked she wouldn't be asking this question.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics