Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
WWYD? Priority for clients or vacation?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 11:53 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
glad it worked out

maybe this happened because husband is the primary breadwinner and he was able to take off at that time and that was his primary concern and that then they could go away

Its NOT ABOUT THE OP OR HER HUSBAND! its about telling someone you are going to do something and then bailing.

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 1:35 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
A kallahs booking is quite different than any other simcha. I'm sure if op had a kallah booked she wouldn't be asking this question.

That's a nice thought,but once people feel like "commitmentment" is really a "definite maybe if something better doesn't turn up", I would not make that assumption.

People accept emergencies as health crises and deaths in the immediate family. Even if a kallah was not as happy with her makeup due to a last minute substitute, well life (and death happens). Not, surprise vacations happen.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 1:48 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Reschedule your clients. Tell them something unexpected came up and go!!!!!! JUST DO IT. U NEED IT. It is unfair to the clients so what? Nothing will happen.

Actually, it would be a breach of contract.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 1:55 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Actually, it would be a breach of contract.

Correct. For which she provided a remedy. This is real life.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:05 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:

So, let's say that you were planning your son's bar mitzvah. You went to 6 caterers, tasted all of the food, and went with Best Caterer. Less than a week before the simcha, Best gives you a call. Sorry, but I got the chance to go on vacation, so I won't be catering your simcha. I've arranged with Caterer You Didn't Like to provide food.

Do you say WOW, you must be exhausted, catering other people's simchas,. No worries. You go enjoy yourself. I don't mind having food I don't like as much so long as you get a nice vacation.

And when your friends and colleagues say "we're going to use Best," do you say "great choice, food is delicious," or do you say "watch out, they drop you like a hot potato if something better comes up."

Real life is that service professionals do their best to honor commitments. Yes, things happen. Illness. Death in the family. Accidents. But service professionals understand that they are hired for their qualifications, and that they cannot be substituted the way, say, a waiter can be. So they show up absent emergency.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:06 pm
Reschedule? You mean stress and dump and hurt them (yes) if it's a big simcha. Cool.

You can do this. You will have consequences. Your husband doesn't respect you, btw. Because he doesn't value your work.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:09 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
So, let's say that you were planning your son's bar mitzvah. You went to 6 caterers, tasted all of the food, and went with Best Caterer. Less than a week before the simcha, Best gives you a call. Sorry, but I got the chance to go on vacation, so I won't be catering your simcha. I've arranged with Caterer You Didn't Like to provide food.

Do you say WOW, you must be exhausted, catering other people's simchas,. No worries. You go enjoy yourself. I don't mind having food I don't like as much so long as you get a nice vacation.

And when your friends and colleagues say "we're going to use Best," do you say "great choice, food is delicious," or do you say "watch out, they drop you like a hot potato if something better comes up."

Real life is that service professionals do their best to honor commitments. Yes, things happen. Illness. Death in the family. Accidents. But service professionals understand that they are hired for their qualifications, and that they cannot be substituted the way, say, a waiter can be. So they show up absent emergency.

Are you a paid services provider?

You have every right to give your friends an honest review of your experience with a service provider (within Halachic parameters).

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:16 pm

The client technically could have rejected the “remedy”, and
could have sued OP in court, and demanded specific performance as a remedy.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:22 pm
Are you a paid services provider?

You have every right to give your friends an honest review of your experience with a service provider (within Halachic parameters).

Giving your own honest review to someone that asks you is fine.

Saying "I will do everything in my power so she never works again, calling shuls etc...to warn them", no that's not okay.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:23 pm

Yup. Or taken her to the Bais Din.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:44 pm

Specific performance is rarely available for personal services agreements. In any case, it would have been months after the simcha, so not much help at all.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:58 pm
Specific performance is rarely available for personal services agreements. In any case, it would have been months after the simcha, so not much help at all.

OP is taking a professional risk by breaching the contract she had where SHE would be providing make-up for this simcha. That's it. She did the best she could to mitigate that risk by finding a replacement and offering a discount and free trials.

But - she's still taking a risk. She probably has some idea's of her client's character - However she doesn't know if she is dealing with a Honeydew or a Mayflower.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:12 pm
OP is taking a professional risk by breaching the contract she had where SHE would be providing make-up for this simcha. That's it. She did the best she could to mitigate that risk by finding a replacement and offering a discount and free trials.

But - she's still taking a risk. She probably has some idea's of her client's character - However she doesn't know if she is dealing with a Honeydew or a Mayflower.

There were five clients. So even if there were four Mayflowers, all you need is one Honeydew in the bunch to have repercussions. Not to mention, some people who sway Mayflower might be chill if they thought it was something important, but could be put off if they found out that OP actually dropped them to go on vacation.

Sebastian

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:32 pm
OP made up her mind so wtvr.

Personally I would've been really upset at my husband for not consulting me and would've made him reschedule but that's me

anonymrs

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:42 pm
Your husband was dead wrong in scheduling a vacation without consulting your schedule. Its downright selfish, basically telling you that you, and your work, have no real value.

In any case, makeup artists aren't fungible. Each has a particular look. So no, bringing someone else in isn't an option. Nor is not showing up.

I'll be blunt. If you cancelled on me because you decided you had something better to do (ie, go on a vacation), I would do everything in my power to ensure you never worked again. If I ever heard that you had a booking, I would be sure to tell them that you're unreliable, and will cancel with just a few days notice if you feel like doing something else. And I'd be sure that my friends did the same. And I'd alert the staff at shuls and wedding venues. Because no one should be subjected to what you plan to do. And I say this as someone who did her own makeup for her wedding.

Man up and tell your husband that you're busy this weekend, and he needs to reschedule. Or quit your job and stay home being a little doormat saying "yes dear, whatever you want." Because its egregiously wrong to cancel a service at the last minute for anything other than an emergency.

If I'd hear this from someone, I'd just assume that you're just a nasty person and ignore what you have to say. Most people don't do that.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 7:45 pm
My hairdresser canceled a week before my wedding, we had decided on a hairstyle to work with my very difficult hair, I was devastated. I'm a very relaxed person about beauty care, but my wedding is obviously very different. I don't remember why she canceled or if she told me.
I found someone else, but was so nervous until my har was done, BH it was great but was unneeded stress the week of wedding.

amother
White

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:13 pm
I held myself back till now, but here goes, only in “our circles” would someone do it. And if it wasn’t a frum client, she wouldn’t either.

Go ahead op, prove me wrong

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:29 pm
WhatFor wrote:
There were five clients. So even if there were four Mayflowers, all you need is one Honeydew in the bunch to have repercussions. Not to mention, some people who sway Mayflower might be chill if they thought it was something important, but could be put off if they found out that OP actually dropped them to go on vacation.

Right. Its OP's risk to evaluate. I hire service providers to get a job done. My main focus is result of the job - not the provider. If the person I contracted with can't make it - but sees to it that I get the service that I need - I'm cool.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:43 pm
OP-the title of this thread would only be applicable before you booked the services for the clients.

Once you accepted the job you’ve entered into a legal contract.
Your obligation is to fulfill the contract.
That should have been your priority.

(As a side note, I’m surprised you were able to find a replacement on such short notice.
And that your client was amenable to booking another MUA).

singleagain

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 10:06 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
I held myself back till now, but here goes, only in “our circles” would someone do it. And if it wasn’t a frum client, she wouldn’t either.

Go ahead op, prove me wrong

https://www.weddingwire.com/we......html

https://www.reddit.com/r/weddi....._body

https://boards.weddingbee.com/.....lled/

Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics