Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can't handle diapers!!!

amother

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 10:50 pm
Hi, I'm a new Mommy. I come from a big family B"H, so I figured I'd have no problem adjusting to life with a new baby. Well, I was right... almost. Painful nursing? OK, that will pass. Interesting night schedules? I can deal with that. Surprisingly, what's driving me CRAZY is the diaper situation!!!

I know how to change a diaper, and have dealt with many interesting specimens over the years. That's not the issue. But why can't he keep it inside the diaper? Rolling Eyes Either he sprays himself and the couch, bed, floor, changing pad... or he waits till the exact moment between diapers to decide that he wasn't finished making (or if he's being nice, till I get the next one on, so each changing is a 3-diaper experience)...

I know about putting a blanket over, but that doesn't help when he waits till the next diaper is ALMOST on, spraying a bit less than when there's nothing around, but destroying that diaper and whatever surface he's on!

And the LEAKS! How am I supposed to enjoy cuddling with a baby who's constantly got these big wet patches, or worse, yellow stains?

Every time I hear him making (here he goes again!) I groan- I don't know what's going to be in store for me in the next diaper change. I want to push it off indefinitely, but that's not nice to my baby.

What am I supposed to do?!? Is there any time before or after feeding that he's more likely to be "done"? Any unusual changing tips to make this bearable? I love him dearly, but this is definitely my Waterloo...

All Chizuk and advice accepted, please direct all criticisms to a new thread in the Controversy section... Wink

[Posted anonymously for identifying info and because I'm embarrassed that such a small thing is such a big deal for me.]

shoy18

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 10:55 pm
First what brand of diapers are you using, you mention its a boy, I have one also and I found pampers were horrible, they leaked all the time, I use huggies supreme and he never leaks.
Second if you see he is making try and wait an extra 10 min after he stops to make sure he is finished
Last when a boy is going to pish he usually is erect so if you open his diaper and see it stadningg up he will probably pish on you so close the diaper and wait a little longer

Hope this help

1stimer

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 3:12 am
I second what shoy writes, try different brands of diapers. My son ALWAYS leaked with huggies. I had to change his clothes at every diaper change. With pampers he hardly ever leaks.

Also when you're putting on a clean diaper, make sure his 'tool' is pointing downwards. If it isn't it will go everywhere (but the diaper!)

When you're changing him have everything you need ready, new diaper open and ready to be put on. And try to be as fast as possible.

Also we do get used to it. I'm not saying it to be callous but from experience! My husband at first refused to change diapers but I insisted (rightly or wrongly Wink ) that he did, and it got to a stage where he was better at it than me.

Last, a sense of humor helps Wink Like the time my ds decided to go during a change... and it wasn't urine... It went EVERYWHERE! Curtains, my glasses, you name it he got it. All I could do was laugh!

elisecohen

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 7:48 am
I also found with all my kids that it gets better when they get a little bigger and they wear a larger diaper--the teeny tiny size 1s just don't hold much no matter how well they fit. No matter what brand we used, from bargain to premium our newborns always leaked (it was better with cloth, but only marginally) until they got to a size 2 at least. Sorry--some may just be a matter of time. I know how icky it is to pick up a baby and realize his back is soaked--worse yet when it means your bed is too. It WILL get better and cuddlier.

lucky

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 8:52 am
As for kids who go while you change their diapers, I've heard that the tempature change,(when u open the diaper and their wet skin is exposed to the air)causes them to go again.

ElTam

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 9:04 am
It does get better! As he ages, he'll go less often.

I don't have as much experience with changing boys, as we tend to have lots of girls in my family, but I do agree that changing diaper brands may help.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 2:54 pm
A good idea is to put the new diaper under the old one, and then pull out the dirty one, and quickly close the new one.
it will get better.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 10:13 pm
yes, as they get older they "make" less and it leaks MUCH less often. I found at the beginning my son always had leaky diapers. Then when he was learning to sit, the #2 would go UP the back! But usually they're fine. And yes, it's worse with boys -- the temperature change....
good luck and just try to change him over the changing pad or table -- not on the couch or carpetting!

RedVines

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 10:16 pm
I second what Malks said... I have done that since the begining it really works!!!

Also huggies always leaked with my boy for some reason, change your brand!

Milk Munch

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 11:10 am
Whenever I put my babies down I would try and put a cloth diaper under thier tushy so if they leaked it would go on that. It's no big deal because if I was holding them I had the cloth diaper over my shoulder anyways and I dont' care how dirty those get.

Kumphort

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 11:18 am
besides for all the practical advise which I think is great, I just wanted to validate your feelings of being overwhelmed, I too am the largest of a big family, but the truth is you've never dealth with a newborn on your own before, you've never dealt with the hormonol issues of having a new born baby.

I think it's completely normal and healthy to be feeling overwhelmed, but rest assured, you learn what works for you and what doesnt, and you'll see how rewarding the aggervation can be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics