Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How often is it the norm to change linen?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:37 am
Oh my. I guess I'm doing the linen today

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:38 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I’m surprised that weekly changes aren’t the norm.

Even when there were no washing machines, laundry was done once a week - on Monday with Tuesday being ironing day.

Historically it was one of the first house chores that was outsourced with professional laundries springing up in the late nineteenth century and people hiring laundresses to wash even if they couldn’t afford any other kind of help. A laundress was considered to be the worst kind of work because washing clothes before mechanical washers was so brutally hard.

Even if laundry was historically done once a week, that doesn't mean that all the beds were stripped every week. In fact, I highly doubt they were. Laundry was a grueling ordeal, and I doubt that in a family with 5 kids they scrubbed 7 sets of linen by hand every week. Especially not in the winter, where there was no where to dry them.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:06 am
I’m surprised that weekly changes aren’t the norm.

Even when there were no washing machines, laundry was done once a week - on Monday with Tuesday being ironing day.

Historically it was one of the first house chores that was outsourced with professional laundries springing up in the late nineteenth century and people hiring laundresses to wash even if they couldn’t afford any other kind of help. A laundress was considered to be the worst kind of work because washing clothes before mechanical washers was so brutally hard.

lol no laundry wasn't once a week - read Germinal, look up the word sheets

also, you said it, people did often hire

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:04 am
I used to do it religiously weekly. Then as the family grew every two weeks. Now BH with a large family and help only once a week, I change the linens maybe monthly or longer unless there's a specific need.
My kids take showers daily..
Now waiting for the abuse you are all going to send my way;)

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:15 am
People love to quote how many cups/quarts/gallons we are all sweating out each day/week and getting absorbed.
But, isn't it mostly getting absorbed into pajamas and socks?
In my house pillowcases and pajamas are washed more often than sheets.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:01 am
Seems as though the ability to provide hygienic linen for family should be considered in determining family size. Is this considering managing well?

While I don’t think every nicety needs to be observed, I am shocked that sheets are left unchanged for such long periods of time because there isn’t enough time to change and do laundry.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:09 am
Yes, but the debate is what is considered "hygienic linen"? I think we can all agree once a season is not enough, but I think Oprah, or was it Jackie O had her linens changed nightly or every other night? That, barring some kind of illness, is overkill for someone's time, your sheets, and the environment.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:31 pm
Seems as though the ability to provide hygienic linen for family should be considered in determining family size. Is this considering managing well?

While I don’t think every nicety needs to be observed, I am shocked that sheets are left unchanged for such long periods of time because there isn’t enough time to change and do laundry.

If I thought it was unhygenic, I would make the time to do it more frequently. But going to the laundramat is a hassle, and I don't think changing the sheets every week is necessary.
I guarantee that you are giving up something else in order to wash your linenes more often. That's cool, because, as with everything else in life, we all have to balance life according to our priorities. That means our individual household priorities - you balance yours, and I'll balance mine. And I promise not to criticize you for being obsessive about the sheets if you don't criticize me for not washing my sheets enough:)

gold21

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:33 pm

What exactly are the potential problems with washing linens every two weeks? Please list actual risks.

gold21

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:35 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I used to do it religiously weekly. Then as the family grew every two weeks. Now BH with a large family and help only once a week, I change the linens maybe monthly or longer unless there's a specific need.
My kids take showers daily..
Now waiting for the abuse you are all going to send my way;)

No abuse from me.

You're smart to put linens lower down on the priority list.

You can't prioritize everything. If something has to give, washing linens a little less frequently sounds good to me.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:38 pm
As op specifically mentioned teens there is no reason they shouldn't take responsibility with this. Or help out with changing linen for younger sibs.
If someone relies on a laundromat to do their laundry it is understandably quite cumbersome. But if you have a washer/dryer, teens can take responsibility for doing washing linen.
Good training for adulthood if nothing else.
Aside from things already mentioned, clean linen helps keep bedrooms smelling fresh.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:42 pm
I'm in the "just hanging in there" category in life.
I can't change the linen as often as I'd like.
Are there any proven health risks?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:43 pm
I've never encountered any other instance of people quoting how much sweat etc - who cares? as long as it feels and smells ok

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:43 pm
Dust mites are a concern.
Plus not good for very allergic people (regular dust and dead skin cells flaking off), it can aggravate their breathing.
But every 2 weeks is still ok.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:47 pm
Am I the only one that does not change linen that often?
I am generally a neat and clean person.
linen is on my lowest priority list...
Neither me or dh cares. When I want my linen to be fresh I clean it...
Linen is such a hassle.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:49 pm
As I've gotten older, ive developed allergies. Dusting my bedroom frequently and changing linen regularly definitely makes a difference.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:52 pm

If ability to change linen weekly is the make it or break it for you to have kids, you probably should be on BC.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:54 pm
LMAO so you think humans shouldn't be born because mom has a bad back? okayyy

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 12:45 am
Seems as though the ability to provide hygienic linen for family should be considered in determining family size. Is this considering managing well? .

Yeah totally. Im glad someone finally said this. In the world of imamother if you can't change linen often often you should not be having kids. Dont u know?? ( tons of sarcasm intended)

I come here for entertainment. It doesn't get more comical.

Doing linen often is a bigger priority over having more kids in this forum.

U need a break from having kids? Sure no problem. All imas support that decision

U don't change linen every week?? That's terrible. ( lots of sarcasm)

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:34 am
Ok, I am clearly dysfunctional TMI TMI
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children