Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
New "dumb" phone advice Verizon

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 4:20 pm
Is it true what they're telling me that my 3G phone will stop working on Jan 1?
And I have no choice but to get a 4G?

So, I know I can get a regular flip phone, but my current phone has a keyboard and I hate to give that up.

I don't text much, just to my kids, but it's a major pain to do that 222 thing for a C, so I would get a 'smart phone' with a keyboard and have TAG take everything off except for maybe Waze.

So I do want the cheapest, simplest model, I assume... anyone have suggestions?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:10 pm
Do I conclude that every single person here has a smart phone? Or that nobody is interested in this topic?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:15 pm
Sorry I can't help you. I got phones from TAG but since we're not on Verizon, I had to get a more expensive phone. Ultimately, I had to give up my keyboard which was traumatic. I told myself (channeling something Tammy Karmel said in another context), I can serve Hashem with my keyboard phone, and I can serve Him with the new phone. I got used to it.

Is there anything else you want besides texting and Waze? A camera? TorahAnytime? I don't want to corrupt you Twisted Evil but think about it before you get an outside phone TAGged.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:32 pm
It depends where you live. I used to have a phone with a keyboard, and when that broke, they refused to activate a new one for me. I got a flip phone. Texting is a pain, but it does have T9 which makes it somewhat easier. Still a pain.

Dh got a smartphone and had TAG deactivate the browser- after adding email, Torah anytime, waize and some Jewish music. I would still hesitate to get that for myself but dh needed the email for work.

I heard that in Lakewood (I think) they stopped servicing 3G phones but enough people complained so they started again.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it true what they're telling me that my 3G phone will stop working on Jan 1?
And I have no choice but to get a 4G?

So, I know I can get a regular flip phone, but my current phone has a keyboard and I hate to give that up.

I don't text much, just to my kids, but it's a major pain to do that 222 thing for a C, so I would get a 'smart phone' with a keyboard and have TAG take everything off except for maybe Waze.

So I do want the cheapest, simplest model, I assume... anyone have suggestions?

AIUI, January 1, 2021, not 2020. But you won' be able to transfer service between accounts. https://www.lightreading.com/m.....53147

https://www.keloland.com/kelol.....2020/

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:39 pm
http://tagflatbush.com/4g-lte-basic-phones/

There are phones they recommend for each service. My husband uses the LG Exalt, listed on the link.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:46 pm
Oh, wow, thank you, Orchid. That's a big relief. I mamash thought I had to go today, was sure I'd have to wait in a long line, and couldn't face it. You gave me great news!

Quote:
Is there anything else you want besides texting and Waze? A camera? TorahAnytime? I don't want to corrupt you Twisted Evil but think about it before you get an outside phone TAGged.
Camera Yes. I don't need Torah Anytime, because I just download to my computer & save to an MP3, which I listen to around the kitchen & in the car. I would not be "wearing" my phone.

What I know I must avoid is having something like email on my phone because I would be too tempted to use it in the bedroom instead of going to sleep... bad enough I check for texts (which are anyhow almost all from my kids)

mommyW

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:46 pm
I have a Kyocera flip phone to which I changed recently cause my 3g phone stopped to work. It's a real good and strong phone. At first it was hard to be without a keyboard but I got used to using t9 and works very good for me. Verizon service.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 9:37 am
You don't need to have a keyboard to text. If you get a regular flip phone and set it to T9 input instead of abc it will figure out the work you are trying to type, so you type Hi you would just press 44 and it would figure out that you meant "Hi" and not "gg". They can show you how it works at the verizion store.

shmosmom

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 11:23 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
You don't need to have a keyboard to text. If you get a regular flip phone and set it to T9 input instead of abc it will figure out the work you are trying to type, so you type Hi you would just press 44 and it would figure out that you meant "Hi" and not "gg". They can show you how it works at the verizion store.

Right but people who have keyboards don't want to give it up. Keyboards are way more convenient, esp if that's what you're used to.
I'm a smartphone user, but just curious, the phones with the slideout keyboard won't work anymore?

penguin

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 3:23 pm
Quote:
I'm a smartphone user, but just curious, the phones with the slideout keyboard won't work anymore?
When they pry my phone out of my cold... never mind

Yeah, when they force us out of 3G we can either buy a 4G flip or a smart phone.

Anyhow I doubt T9 has a Yeshivish vocabulary, KWIM?

groisamomma

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 4:42 pm
penguin wrote:
Quote:
When they pry my phone out of my cold... never mind

Yeah, when they force us out of 3G we can either buy a 4G flip or a smart phone.

Anyhow I doubt T9 has a Yeshivish vocabulary, KWIM?

I just switched dh to the LG exalt that the whole world uses because his 3G slideout keyboard phone stopped working. T9 can get real yeshivish real fast if you add words to the dictionary as they come up.

OP, check in your area if there are any promotions now. We got the LG flip for free from Verizon because of the switch. The other alternative was the cheapest smartphone ($7.87/month for installments or $180 up front to pay it off). Dh chose the flip phone but do look around before you make the switch.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:56 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
AIUI, January 1, 2021, not 2020. But you won' be able to transfer service between accounts. https://www.lightreading.com/m.....53147

https://www.keloland.com/kelol.....2020/

My mother has Verizon old phone and they told her it will stop working at midnight tonight. Hope she hasn't been panicking for nothing.
What does that mean can't transfer service between accounts?

thanks

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 11:12 pm
Tag can only block certain models. Speak to them before you buy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics