Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What to do if 19 month old won’t eat

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 6:49 pm
He’s usually a decent eater but for a few days already he’s been tasting and spitting out food that he usually eats or not even willing to try. I’m sure he’s hungry. Am I supposed to make him other foods that he may or may not eat or just offer him what I have and let him go hungry?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 6:52 pm
Dont let your baby 'go hungry'
Maybe hes getting molars, maybe his throat hurts, maybe he under the weather and the food tastes weird.
Give me him simple things you know he eats.

He relies on you. Please just feed him what he will eat as well as serve him the things hes not so into...

ectomorph

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:13 pm
Are you seriously asking if you should starve a baby?

Take him to the doctor. Maybe he has strep. Maybe he has a stomach virus. Is he getting calories any other way? Is he making wet and dirty diapers?

Flip Flops

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:16 pm
op, I get you!!!! My baby isn't eating anything either. I put him in the highchair, try to give him the world but he spits it all out. B"H he is behaving normally and I'm just waiting for this stage to pass. We are not bad mothers who are trying to starve our kids!!
I would tell you to speak to a doctor just to rule out anything that may be causing him not to eat.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:37 pm
No, I’m not asking if I should starve my child. I’m asking how many different options I should offer when I’m giving him things I normally would and he usually eats nicely and suddenly he’s not eating anything.

I took him to the doctor twice already and he didn’t see anything. I thought maybe he has a funny taste because of a cold he has but he literally spits it out before it gets into his mouth fully. I don’t think he’s teething either because as far as I see he has all teeth.

Boy, being a parent is hard. I wish I knew the right thing to do all the time.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, I’m not asking if I should starve my child. I’m asking how many different options I should offer when I’m giving him things I normally would and he usually eats nicely and suddenly he’s not eating anything.

I took him to the doctor twice already and he didn’t see anything. I thought maybe he has a funny taste because of a cold he has but he literally spits it out before it gets into his mouth fully. I don’t think he’s teething either because as far as I see he has all teeth.

Boy, being a parent is hard. I wish I knew the right thing to do all the time.

Being a parent is hard! Just feed him what he wants, it may be a phase.
You're doing great!
Hes his own person Nd is having an off week. Some weeks I'm not as hungry or my appetite isnt that strong. Others (most) I love eating lol

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:56 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Being a parent is hard! Just feed him what he wants, it may be a phase.
You're doing great!
Hes his own person Nd is having an off week. Some weeks I'm not as hungry or my appetite isnt that strong. Others (most) I love eating lol

Thing is I don’t know what he wants. I’m giving him food he usually eats happily and he won’t touch it. I feel bad that he’s probably hungry... unless I give him chocolate and chips, that he’ll still eat Can't Believe It

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thing is I don’t know what he wants. I’m giving him food he usually eats happily and he won’t touch it. I feel bad that he’s probably hungry... unless I give him chocolate and chips, that he’ll still eat Can't Believe It

Is it possible that hes filling up on snacks? Thinking if he passes up on real food you'll just give him snacks instead?

With my child Ive never given a snack till after mealtime. So that kind of set the rules. Also his snacks are mostly healthy so he'll have some fruits or like corn cake with cashew butter so its still a win.

Additionally- my kid loves to be involved in feeding. He finger feeds and will attempt to use utensils. Perhaps try to give him a kiddie spoon or fork for himself. Sing songs about the food/make it fun.

Also- switch up the textures.
Gl!

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He’s usually a decent eater but for a few days already he’s been tasting and spitting out food that he usually eats or not even willing to try. I’m sure he’s hungry. Am I supposed to make him other foods that he may or may not eat or just offer him what I have and let him go hungry?

At this age I believe thier appetite starts to naturally slow down because they don't need as many calories. Their growth is starting to level off. You took him to the dr. 2x already so it doesn't sound like he is ill. Let his appetite be the guide to how much or what he wants to eat. He may also want to feel a sense of control over his food intake. So normal for this age. You sound like such an amazing, caring mom!

losingweight

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 1:01 am
It's winter. Can be strep.

tichellady

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 1:14 am
This is relatable. It’s so stressful. I try to trust that my baby will eat if she’s hungry but sometimes it’s really hard to tell what’s going on

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:10 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Is it possible that hes filling up on snacks? Thinking if he passes up on real food you'll just give him snacks instead?

With my child Ive never given a snack till after mealtime. So that kind of set the rules. Also his snacks are mostly healthy so he'll have some fruits or like corn cake with cashew butter so its still a win.

Additionally- my kid loves to be involved in feeding. He finger feeds and will attempt to use utensils. Perhaps try to give him a kiddie spoon or fork for himself. Sing songs about the food/make it fun.

Also- switch up the textures.
Gl!

No, I don’t give him snacks during mealtime. He just points to the pantry and begs for it. I make sure he’s hungry before feeding him.

I also sing, read, play to try to distract him so he’ll eat and that has worked in the past but his gate is sealed these days and he just won’t eat.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:10 am
losingweight wrote:
It's winter. Can be strep.

Doctor checked for it.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:31 am
If it's only been a few days I would wait it out and see if he goes back to himself within a couple more days. Try to offer him a variety, but no, chocolate and chips shouldn't be options Smile

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:52 am
You didn't answer. Is he making up a normal amount of calories? If he's actually losing weight that is very concerning.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 9:00 am
Oh, I forgot to add: did the doctor check for any sores/ blisters/ injuries in the mouth? That would be a very common cause for the behavior you're describing. Also, is your baby drinking normally from a sippy cup/ bottle? That's important information as well. If so, try offering a healthy smoothie with a straw. If not, that's another clue that something physical is going on.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 10:05 am
He threw up this morning after coughing a little. Back to the doctor we go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics