Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Chynka

momof2+?

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:14 pm
Pronounced cheenka with a ches.
Do you know where the name comes from and what it means? Any more common names with the same meaning?

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:28 pm
Just don't. Please.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:36 pm
I could be wrong but I thought it was a diminutive of Chana.

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:47 pm
Isn’t there a wedding hall called Ateres Chynka? I’ve also wondered the origins of the name. I actually like it embarrassed

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:09 pm
Actually I think it comes from the word "chen" (charm). I know somebody whose grandmother was chynka and all the grandchildren named after her were either called "adina" or if they named chynka they added a name.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:09 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I could be wrong but I thought it was a diminutive of Chana.

I think I heard this too. It's the Yiddish version. I actually know someone with the name Chinka, and I find it to be a very nice name.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:31 pm
diminutive of Chana, per the encyclopedia of ashkenazic given names.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:36 pm
You didn't ask but since a PP already said "don't, please" I will add my plea to hers. Chinky practically begs to be called Stinky. And non-Yiddishists will think it's a slur on people of Chinese descent. Call her Hannah, Anna, Channah, or look up the Encyclopedia of Ashkenazic Given Names and find some other one of the many, many variation of Channah listed therein.

bsy

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:01 pm
Pretty sure I heard that ateres chynka (in brooklyn ny)was named after someone because they didn't want their children to use the name.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 1:51 am
Omg.
If u wanna use the name and will raise a confident daughter, use it.

Kids will always find a reason to bully. Jusy because a name rhymes with something is no reason not to name it.
Do we skip eli because it rhymes with smelly? Pessy because it rhymes with messy? The list is endless.

My nephew is now being teased because his last name is Gross. Should I tell him to change it for his children?

Some will argue that it puts the child at a disadvantage, but I don't agree (and yes, I do have an uncommon Yiddish name myself). I know super popular Shprintzys and Glickels and very bullied Devoras and Chanies.

Metukah

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 3:40 am
bsy wrote:
Pretty sure I heard that ateres chynka (in brooklyn ny)was named after someone because they didn't want their children to use the name.

I heard this from a family member.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names