Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Should I get a cabinet garbage and warming drawer?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 11:13 am
I am building a new kitchen and am on the fence about the garbage inside a cabinet and whether to get a warming drawer.

People say that garbage smells and needs to be changed all the time. Would you say to go ahead with it or skip it?

And what do you use your warming drawer for and are you happy you got it?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 11:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am building a new kitchen and am on the fence about the garbage inside a cabinet and whether to get a warming drawer.

People say that garbage smells and needs to be changed all the time. Would you say to go ahead with it or skip it?

And what do you use your warming drawer for and are you happy you got it?

I don't agree that the garbage smells. If you are a person who throws out the garbage regularly and wipes down spills as they happen, you'll enjoy it. If your garbage smells regularly because you don't get around to taking care of it then I can see why the cabinet would start to absorb the smells.
We love our hidden garbage can. Make sure to get a good size can. My MILs is very small and she has a hard time with it.

meme6

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 11:43 am
A warmer drawer is the best thing go for it!!!

Regarding garbage drawer I have one and hate it so my garbage is always out of it I would rather make a designated open spot for it

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't agree that the garbage smells. If you are a person who throws out the garbage regularly and wipes down spills as they happen, you'll enjoy it. If your garbage smells regularly because you don't get around to taking care of it then I can see why the cabinet would start to absorb the smells.
We love our hidden garbage can. Make sure to get a good size can. My MILs is very small and she has a hard time with it.

what size is a good size?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:14 pm
meme6 wrote:
A warmer drawer is the best thing go for it!!!

Regarding garbage drawer I have one and hate it so my garbage is always out of it I would rather make a designated open spot for it

what size garbage drawer do you have?

and tell me what you use the warmer drawer for?

oneofakind

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:21 pm
Love garbage in cabinet. So neat.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:22 pm
I love love my warming drawers. I never had them before and after over 35 years of marriage got them and I love them. I did not put cabinet garbages in my new kitchen and I am regretting it. I had them in my previous kitchen. One of the reasons I regret not putting them in is that having garbage pails in the kitchen, no matter how attractive they is that they are ruining the lines in my kitchen. If you have to have them try and find a place for them that doesn't catch the eye.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:26 pm
My warming drawer is also a slow cooker
I love it
Food comes out perfect on Shabbat
I put it in raw on low and it’s ready for lunch
Or
If it’s cooked I put it on warmer

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 1:42 pm
Garbage cabinet makes your kitchen look super organized, BUT many times it is very small. Most people I know who have it, always have their garbage spilling out of the drawer.

meme6

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 1:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
what size garbage drawer do you have?

and tell me what you use the warmer drawer for?

I use it Yom Tov a lot stick in frozen food before shul it heats it evenly And delicious. If my husband or a kid will be late for supper I stick in the portion doesn’t dry it out. Shabbos I put the meat and kugel etc in for the meal.

Not sure size of garbage thing it’s not big

amother
Green

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:03 pm
Just redid my kitchen and had the same question regarding garbage. I ended up making a empty space for a very large size garbage spot in the middle of my island, on the side that you can't see when walking into kitchen. It has worked out perfectly. No smely cabinet or unsightly garbage can. Just a huge garbage that fits a large black bag!

amother
Red

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:07 pm
I don't use

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:10 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I don't use

don't use what?

anonymrs

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:12 pm
I chose not to do a garbage cabinet. I find their annoying, break easily, and eventually start to smell even if you change the garbage frequently and clean spills right away. I left one cabinet out of the island on the back part of the island. It's like a hole in the cabinets and I keep my garbage there. It's out of sight but easy access and doesn't get stinky.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:23 pm
I move my garbage around. Like next to the table to wipe the mess right in. You can’t do that with a cabinet. Also I prefer a large garbage that could handle the waste we produce. I opted for not building in a garbage. I actually keep my kitchen recyclables in the drawer under the sink. It gets emptied about once a week.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 3:40 pm
I made a cabinet with side hinges and roll out this garbage can. You don't use the cover. As someone suggested you can put in Island or inconspicuous place. I love it!

happyone

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 3:51 pm
I am super happy with both. we use warming drawer Friday night and garbage does not smell.

happyone

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 3:54 pm
I forgot to mention I use the warming drawer every day. When dinner is ready I transfer to the warming drawer until the children all come home. It keeps it at a ready-to-serve temperature.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 3:57 pm
I can't imagine not having garbage that rolls out under the cabinet. Mine fits the standard tall kitchen garbage bags.

I don't know why it would smell more than any other kind of garbage container. Smelly stuff would be taken out wherever it was.

Mine is relatively simple as the cabinet maker installed a roll out that holds a large hard plastic trash bin which I line with the standard plastic bag. If it ever became dirty, it would be very easy to clean the plastic bin out but that hasn't been necessary. And of course, I could just replace the plastic bin if it came to that.

I have a small kitchen so I just have the one garbage container under my sink cabinet. My friend has a larger kitchen and so she has separate kitchen bins for recyclables etc.

If you prep far away from the garbage use a "garbage bowl" where you are prepping. It is just a bowl that you put your peelings or whatever in and then bring the bowl over to your large trash container for disposal.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 4:18 pm
I don't like cabinet garbage cans. Guests need to ask where the garbage can is, and I don't think that the garbate deserves a cabinet.
Warming drawers are nice.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics