Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Yeast only bubbled a little....

SingALong

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 11:26 am
so I made my yeast mixture like usual, with water and a bit of sugar a covered it. it barely bubbled. threw it out and opened a new pack. did mixture. only bubbled a little bit after 20 minutes. ( usually after 10 minutes I find that it bubbles so much its twice the size). I had no patience to go to the grocery to buy more yeast. I mixed it into my dough. I'm hoping challah will still rise ok. anyone else ever have this and the dough and challah still rose nicely?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 11:54 am
How warm is your kitchen? Mine always goes a lot slower in the winter. It gets there in the end.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:06 pm
Also, if you didn't throw it out yet, check the expiry date on the package of yeast. As a living organism, it can die if left too long or stored in the wrong conditions.

I should add how impressed I am with anyone being organised enough to make challahs on Tuesday!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 1:47 pm
Usually even old yeast will work, but you need to give it time. Instead of 1.5 hours rise time, give it 3 or more hours. If it doesn’t work after a few hours, try heating your oven till it’s 100 degrees. Turn the oven off, then put the dough in. If that still doesn’t work, it will probably work overnight.

For next time: don’t use those expensive packets. Buy a 1 lb block of SAF instant yeast. Put it in several containers in the freezer. Take a container out when you make challah, measure out the required amount of yeast (around half a teaspoon per cup of flour), and put the container back in the freezer again. Use as usual; no need to proof. The equivalent of a quarter ounce packet is under 15 cents, as opposed to the 60 cents or more that individual packets cost. And the yeast is a better quality.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:05 pm
Age and temperature. Older yeast is slower than new (so who isn’t?) but given enough time will rise to the occasion. In cold weather even new yeast needs more time or warmer water.

If you use active dry, store it in the freezer and it stays good for years. Literally. A 2-lb. bag lasts me 2 or 3 years and it’s good to the last grain You do need to let it warm up longer as it ages. When very fresh it bubbles straight from the freezer in warm water but over time it pays to measure it into a container and leave it out to come to room temp before you start baking.

Having once or twice killed my yeast with water that was too hot, I now use water that’s barely warm. I just give it more time or put it in a warmer place to proof.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads