Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Leather tefillin bags - with strap or not?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:01 pm
DS 12 is set on getting a leather tefillin bag. (Just for one set of tefillin, no tallis).
Some of them come with a strap so you can just wear it without putting it inside another plastic tote. I think it's a nice look.
Now DS tells me that he wants to carry a siddur also but is worried it will get tangled with the tefillin, he is thinking maybe to get a plastic outer tote bag so he can put the siddur outside the leather bag.
So - what do people do with their siddur or other accessories if they use a leather tefillin bag? Do you get the kind without the strap and put it in a tote? Is that better anyway because then it's really waterproof? What is the average bar mitzvah kid doing these days?
And is there some other way to store the siddur? Scratching Head

Thank you wise Imamothers in advance. Just thinking about the amount of collective bar mitzvahs we have all made together gives me hope!

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:25 pm
My son does have Tallis. We got the strap. And he likes carrying it that way.

But I see it’s not even a year old and edges are already wearing out
And yesterday he got splashed with water walking next to street and bag got wet. He now wants a plastic carrying bag and I think it’s a good idea.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 2:06 pm
when we were ordering for my son there were 2 sizes of the leather bags-- the smaller one I think was too small for a siddur but I think the big one would work.. so that is also a factor

in our family most have plastic carrying bags; one doesn't. but if your son cares about fitting in then the most important thing is to find out what the boys in his school do.

mazel tov on the bar mitzva!!

Kumphort

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 3:08 pm
For sure get the shoulder strap and a bag large enough for a small siddur. If you are getting real leather it should hold up fine.
My boys take their tefillin back and forth to school everyday one less thing to hold and worry about losing. Wouldn’t want to stuff it in a knapsack
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics