Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
SEIT and P3
Previous  1  2

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:50 am
mra01385 wrote:
Amelia bedelia, what do you do now? Are you still in the special ed field?

No

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:53 am
mom24.7 wrote:
This is very interesting to me. True, I live in Brooklyn but every person I know that is willing to invest themselves got a full caseload of seit or Pendancy at the beginning of the year. I do know one person that was extremely specific with what type of cases and location that only got filled halfway (10 hrs a week). I am graduated three years and have my initial and got full caseloads starting with my transb. Post rate ranging from 65-72. Again this is in Brooklyn but im extremely surprised to hear ppl are having a hard time getting cases here.

That was about 6-7 years ago. Possibly same period seeker was referring to. If I'd still be in the field today, maybe I would've filled up right away if it's in fact easier to find work.
I actually found the job very unstimulating and boring. That's part of the reason why I left. I hope it's a job you will enjoy. Don't just do it for the money.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 9:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

thank you

thanks, messaged you.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 10:00 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
thanks, messaged you.

Thank you. I got your first message and I"m very interested in hearing more. If you sent me a second message, I did not receive it yet.

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 10:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you everyone for your comments!

Is it really hard to pass the nys certification exams?? Is it easier on any level? (B-2 or 1-6?)

How much does P3 pay per hour through an agency, for groups? average/range

Do P3's need to work every day, or could it be twice a week, in the afternoons?
What is the schedule typically like for P3?
can it be done, for example, two or three days a week, from 11am to 4pm?

Do SEIT's generally work with kids with behavioral issues?
or is it easy to get a job with a kid that doesn't have behavioral issues?
SEIT is every day?
You mentioned starting salary for SEIT, but it goes up...
How high do the SEIT jobs pay, average range?

Don't know about current exams, I took mine long ago and they were no big deal if you'd paid attention in classes.

Through agency it's been a while since I asked but really peanuts. Think 30-40 at most. Unless enhanced rate, which is a different kettle of fish but not common.

Working every day - you do get some flexibility in making your schedule but if you want to make a living you'll have to be consistent. You're not going to pay back loans and feed your family on two afternoons a week. P3 is a little more variable but SEIT generally needs to be spread evenly over the week.

If you're not interested in dealing with kids' behaviors, then don't go into education, period. Just not a good shidduch, even if you happen to get caseloads of angelic kids with purely cognitive needs.

How high - I would take anything exciting with a grain of salt because the DOE keeps cutting corners. They are making it harder for agencies to get paid and therefore agencies can't keep giving the raises they used to. If you're bilingual then you can get a higher rate, other than that if you're starting now you really shouldn't expect to get more than 65 at best.

mra01385

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 10:24 am
Agree with everything seeker mentioned.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. I got your first message and I"m very interested in hearing more. If you sent me a second message, I did not receive it yet.

emailed you Smile

bigmomma

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 10:19 pm
edweb.net has free ed webinars. If you need to renew your certification, you may need 75 hours.You can take them free of charge on this site!
Tests are hard especially if you have not been in school recently. and there are at least a few tests to retake. There is one place in Manhattan that offers good tips and a class for the math portion of one of the tests, if anyone finds math difficult.
Even if one renews their certification after their initial expires and after it is extended, which is expensive as far as testing and test prepping. the Initial Reissuance is only good for five additional years, so you do need to get your 3 years teaching experience if you ever want to get Professional certification, which is permanent.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 10:58 pm
bigmomma wrote:
edweb.net has free ed webinars. If you need to renew your certification, you may need 75 hours.You can take them free of charge on this site!
Tests are hard especially if you have not been in school recently. and there are at least a few tests to retake. There is one place in Manhattan that offers good tips and a class for the math portion of one of the tests, if anyone finds math difficult.
Even if one renews their certification after their initial expires and after it is extended, which is expensive as far as testing and test prepping. the Initial Reissuance is only good for five additional years, so you do need to get your 3 years teaching experience if you ever want to get Professional certification, which is permanent.

Thanks so much for this information!!!!
I need PD hours and started worrying how on earth I will do it...

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 4:15 pm
Hi,
I do seit and p3. I can’t help with loan info because I have old certification from 15 year ago , but you are welcome to pm me for other info.
Seit IS slow in sept. Even for veterans. I got 14 hrs when full is 20 or so. By feb easier to get cases.
P3 is easier to get. ESP if willing to go to homes in afternoon/evening . Agency pay is less but can still be decent if they get you a group. I work in a school.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics