Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is this stealing?
Previous  1  2

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 2:37 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
If the artist themselves posted the video or audio on YouTube, then their assumption may have been to profit from the advertising revenue (minimal as it may be on a frum song that is considered a big hit if it gets 2M views), and downloading deprives them of that.

Well many people (like me!) have ad blocker. So they don't get ad money from me anyways.
I asked and was told downloading any music from the internet that is public such as youtube is fine.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 2:42 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Well many people (like me!) have ad blocker. So they don't get ad money from me anyways.
I asked and was told downloading any music from the internet that is public such as youtube is fine.

I'm assuming you asked a question and were told that using an adblocker is ok.

goforit

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:05 am
How do I get a ad blocker?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 6:27 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I'm assuming you asked a question and were told that using an adblocker is ok.

I personally feel that an adblocker should be a chiyuv for any frum person using the internet.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:01 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I personally feel that an adblocker should be a chiyuv for any frum person using the internet.

This. I've been told this too.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:02 am
goforit wrote:
How do I get a ad blocker?

For youtube or for your internet? What device do you use and which browser do you use?

goforit

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:09 am
LovesHashem wrote:
For youtube or for your internet? What device do you use and which browser do you use?

For youtube on a android. Thanks

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:55 am
I think this is stealing. The singer possibly posted it on YouTube with the intention of profiting from it. Even if it’s only cents per view, which is not always the case btw, that can still be a nice amount of money. At a penny per view and a million views they’ve already earned 10k.

Using ad blockers does prevent them from earning anything, and I think that should be a question as well as to whether or not you should be allowed to use it..

Regardless, the singer put out his music onto the internet, yes, but on platforms of his choosing. If he also has ways for you to get the song downloaded or offline that requires you to pay for it, like buying a CD, on iTunes, etc. then I think it’s 100% stealing for you to do it on your own and avoid paying money that would go into the singers pocket, and contribute to his income. This is all a part of how he makes a living

Also, just because someone puts something out there and there is the possibility of it being pirated, does not make it ok. It’s wrong and usually illegal.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:51 am
What about non-Jewish music videos on youtube that were posted not by the original singer/band but by third parties? Is it permitted to watch them without downloading? Or is that already considered stealing because the third party most likely had no permission to post it?
What about those cases where third parties have created their own videos and combined them with the music of a given band or singer? Some people have really artistic combinations out there.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:02 am
When you watch a video on YouTube, you are renting it, in return for advertising revenues, or at the very least as a form of advertising their product to induce people to buy it. When you download it, you’re taking it as your own.

Sort of like renting a car. You pay to rent it for a few days. You can’t then turn around and say well, you let me have it for a few days, so it’s mine now.

It is unquestionably a copyright violation under US law (making a copy without authorization), and therefore unquestionably theft.

If you like the music, please support the artist by purchasing her music.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions