Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Buying in a thrift shop that possibly supports a church

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:15 am
I frequently shop in a certain thrift shop. I just came to the realization that the proceeds possibly go to the church. Is that halachically a problem? I buy clothing and sell online.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:00 am
Ask your Rabbi.

And do share with us what your told, I’m really curious.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 12:02 pm
I was told the ones that are clearly and directly supporting a church are problematic and best not to shop in. If it's a charity that could benefit jews then it's fine, such as ones supporting health issues, researching heart disease or other diseases, or any other issues etc. It comes from the halachos regarding giving gifts etc to non-jews. But ask your LOR.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 12:29 pm
What about a store like “out of the closet”
It supports a lifestyle that is not supported by the Torah.

Do we need to worry where the profits go at stores we shop?

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 2:04 pm
Some churches proceeds go to the homeless etc

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 3:05 pm
My father who is my Rav does not allow us to shop at the church thrift store or rummage sales. Idk what dh Rav would say but my fathrr is def a meikel.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 3:45 pm
I asked my Rav and was told I can’t buy from a shop that is run to benefit a nonJewish religious organization. So “Salivating Army”
or “Saint Bupkes” thrift shops are out. IIRC there may have been something about it’s ok if the shop benefits ONLY the Saint Bupkes Hospital, which does not engage in any religious activities, and no other Saint Bupkes institutions or programs. But don’t quote me because I could be misremembering that part. AYLOR.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 3:49 pm
My thrift shop supports a cat adoption shelter.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:37 pm
Goodwill is a thrift shop that claims it has handicapped workers and helps the handicapped I read the owner is a
Multimillionaire the clothing cost ten dollars and up they have a senior discount certain days different clothing tags are half price they have many locations

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 6:58 pm
Goodwill isn’t “owned” by anyone. It’s a not-for-profit. It hires not only physically/ mentally handicapped people but people who have a hard time finding a job for lack of skills or lack of knowing how to be a dependable worker and trains them to be able to work in retail. Prices vary from store to store and in many stores things can be had for less than $10.

The CEO of Goodwill Industries in NY makes about $315,000 a year. This is in line with the salaries of many other well-known charity CEOs. The executive VP of Agudah makes about $219,000. CEO of City Harvest, which collects surplus food and redistributes it to the needy, makes about $480,000. CEO of Citymeals on Wheels makes about $296,000. The executive director of Dorot makes close to $300,000. The CEO of UJA Federation of NY makes $552,000 and its CIO a whopping $877,000.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:03 pm
zaq wrote:
Goodwill isn’t “owned” by anyone. It’s a not-for-profit. It hires not only physically/ mentally handicapped people but people who have a hard time finding a job for lack of skills or lack of knowing how to be a dependable worker and trains them to be able to work in retail. Prices vary from store to store and in many stores things can be had for less than $10.

The CEO of Goodwill Industries in NY makes about $315,000 a year. This is in line with the salaries of many other well-known charity CEOs. The executive VP of Agudah makes about $219,000. CEO of City Harvest, which collects surplus food and redistributes it to the needy, makes about $480,000. CEO of Citymeals on Wheels makes about $296,000. The executive director of Dorot makes close to $300,000. The CEO of UJA Federation of NY makes $552,000 and its CIO a whopping $877,000.

Good grief, can we get back to the threads about professions and parnassa and education and whatnot and figure out what it takes to get those jobs?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics