Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Egg boxes at Evergreen and Wesley Kosher now cost 50 cents
Previous  1  2  3  4

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:30 pm
Consider it part of your grocery shop. How many boxes do you use - 4? That’s $2.
Or they can raise their prices to get more than $2 a different way.

Some groceries have extra delivery boxes or used boxes on the side for free and only new boxes cost.
But I’ve seen people pack 4 things in a box because they’re moving and want to stock up. I have also seen people dump perfectly good brand new barely used boxes in the garbage.

We have to recycle and appreciate what we have. Not on the groceries dime.

I really don’t find the charge a big deal. Then again where I grew up they charged even for paper bags for years already.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
So the specific issue is that Jewish grocery stores in Monsey use "new" boxes which are branded with their name to make deliveries.

These branded boxes used to be free and now there is a charge of 50 cents per box?

The answer is fairly obvious as their costs for delivery have gone up and so this is a way of recouping the delivery costs so they don't have to raise prices. If they raise prices, people who don't use delivery and don't need boxes would be hit with the higher prices. By charging for boxes, they are only raising prices for the specific service that people are using for and are willing to pay for.

This is the way most businesses determine their business model. Which way makes the most sense to cover their rising costs - labor, utilities and other overhead items. These stores are using a targeted price increase which impacts only those people who want the boxes.

I have no idea what these boxes look like but I would assume they are more like moving boxes than boxes which are free at Costco.

In monsey we pay for delivery already.
Also besides that monsey is very expensive in groceries so now there is another added on fee!

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I go to the grocery once a week and my order is $450 average reusable bags not really an option so if I would have to walk home with a few items fine buying one bag for .10 or bringing a reusable bag but not feasible for much more.

You insulted people who responded to your post but your post is actually quite confusing because you are talking about reusable versus non reusable BAGS.

Nowhere do you state that you don't use bags at all when you shop because you have your order DELIVERED IN BOXES LOL LOL

What you are griping about is that stores are now charging for each box. This has nothing to do with environmental impact although obviously boxes create waste and use resources to manufacturer. It has to do with how much it costs the business to supply boxes.

Maybe people should see if the stores will accept RETURNS on these boxes so they can be used multiple times. When something is delivered, maybe the boxes could be returned for a credit of 50 cents.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:32 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
Consider it part of your grocery shop. How many boxes do you use - 4? That’s $2.
Or they can raise their prices to get more than $2 a different way.

Some groceries have extra delivery boxes or used boxes on the side for free and only new boxes cost.
But I’ve seen people pack 4 things in a box because they’re moving and want to stock up. I have also seen people dump perfectly good brand new barely used boxes in the garbage.

We have to recycle and appreciate what we have. Not on the groceries dime.

I really don’t find the charge a big deal. Then again where I grew up they charged even for paper bags for years already.

We don’t use just 4 boxes it’s way more. You don’t understand it cause you don’t live in monsey! They do not have the option of used boxes.

Monsey grocery prices are exorbitant

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:32 pm
estreya wrote:
Consider yourselves lucky -- we have been paying for plastic bags (in Canada) for quite a while now.

The cartons for eggs? That's a new one. Hope they don't do that here.

Egg carton.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:34 pm
In monsey we pay for delivery already.
Also besides that monsey is very expensive in groceries so now there is another added on fee!

You are missing the point.

The grocery store has to charge for boxes somehow - they are NEVER just giving away boxes or bags.

If they charge for the boxes, people who don't use them won't have to pay for them.

If they don't charge for them, they will raise prices and people who don't use boxes will pay for them by paying more for all their groceries.

Also charging for them will make people more thoughtful about using them - how many they use etc.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:35 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Egg carton.

They just happen to be using boxes that could have been used for eggs to pack groceries.

But these are NEW boxes - is that correct?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:35 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
You insulted people who responded to your post but your post is actually quite confusing because you are talking about reusable versus non reusable BAGS.

Nowhere do you state that you don't use bags at all when you shop because you have your order DELIVERED IN BOXES LOL LOL

What you are griping about is that stores are now charging for each box. This has nothing to do with environmental impact although obviously boxes create waste and use resources to manufacturer. It has to do with how much it costs the business to supply boxes.

Maybe people should see if the stores will accept RETURNS on these boxes so they can be used multiple times. When something is delivered, maybe the boxes could be returned for a credit of 50 cents.

I commented on the bags and boxes separately!! They will not be accepting returns in boxes I asked them yesterday. But also how do I return it if I don’t drive? They are taking advantage of us.
I also said nothing about environmental impact. It’s about how everything is now a charge and shlepping your own bags in monsey ain’t gonna work so easy.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:36 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
They just happen to be using boxes that could have been used for eggs to pack groceries.

But these are NEW boxes - is that correct?

Yes they are new boxes

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:38 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
You are missing the point.

The grocery store has to charge for boxes somehow - they are NEVER just giving away boxes or bags.

If they charge for the boxes, people who don't use them won't have to pay for them.

If they don't charge for them, they will raise prices and people who don't use boxes will pay for them by paying more for all their groceries.

Also charging for them will make people more thoughtful about using them - how many they use etc.

The store has its own packers we don’t pack the boxes!!

But to have delivery there’s a charge per box which is a new thing! They used to sell u boxes if u wanted for moving etc but now to have order delivered there’s no choice.

And you must not be from monsey that you have no clue how the system works here

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:40 pm
I didn’t read the entire thread , but I just received my grocery order. They delivered three boxes. One of the egg boxes contained 3 items and the rest was empty. The other egg box had some vegetables and they left the rest of the box empty. They could have totally combined the two and just sent two instead of three boxes. None of the boxes were heavy. Are they going to start doing this on purpose so they can send and charge for more boxes? Or is this just a coincidence and someone that doesn’t know how to pack properly?

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:41 pm
We don’t use just 4 boxes it’s way more. You don’t understand it cause you don’t live in monsey! They do not have the option of used boxes.

Monsey grocery prices are exorbitant

Even $5 for 10 boxes.... I really don’t see the big deal and yes I do pay for bags and boxes if I use them but again it’s part of the shopping cost.

And as another poster mentioned why up all the grocery prices because delivery went up. It’s not fair to everyone else.
I get that Monsey is expensive in regards to food but I stil don’t get why having to pay for something you’re using is a big deal.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:42 pm

But to have delivery there’s a charge per box which is a new thing! They used to sell u boxes if u wanted for moving etc but now to have order delivered there’s no choice.

I understand perfectly.

They have certain costs to deliver groceries and they need to figure out how to charge enough to COVER THE COSTS because costs have been rising - labor, cost for boxes, utilities, overhead.

They either charge for boxes or find a way to charge in some other way.

They determined it made the most sense to charge FOR THE BOXES so that those people using the boxes
are the ones who are paying directly. This will probably cut down on people using boxes just because they thought they were "free".

They were NEVER FREE but costs went up in other areas enough so that they had to figure out a way to recapture the rising expenses.

Again, they could raise prices on ALL grocery items but this would impact people who don't use boxes so charging for boxes makes those using the items the ones who pay.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:47 pm

Has anybody asked - If I bring in my own bags, will you pack those?

estreya

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:48 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Egg carton.

thanks, Amother Wheat. I had a good laugh LOL .

I kind of figured after I posted that it was the BOX that cartons were shipped in. I thought it sounded strange they would charge for an egg carton itself Banging head these days, who knows what's next....

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:50 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I didn’t read the entire thread , but I just received my grocery order. They delivered three boxes. One of the egg boxes contained 3 items and the rest was empty. The other egg box had some vegetables and they left the rest of the box empty. They could have totally combined the two and just sent two instead of three boxes. None of the boxes were heavy. Are they going to start doing this on purpose so they can send and charge for more boxes? Or is this just a coincidence and someone that doesn’t know how to pack properly?

How much profit do you estimate they are taking on a box they charge 50 cents for?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:52 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
How much profit do you estimate they are taking on a box they charge 50 cents for?

Based on how much boxes cost in the box store, I would say not much, if any. Very Happy

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:11 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

The grocery business is a penny profit business to begin with. The small numbers add up pretty nicely.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:21 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
The grocery business is a penny profit business to begin with. The small numbers add up pretty nicely.

I think the 50 cents doesn't even recoup their cost.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 11:51 pm
The way delivery works in a supermarket is

The packer costs over $600
The driver costs another $600

The boxes costs upwards of .75 per box
The plain brown bags are about .15 each

Let's not forget the guy who packs your order, rings up your order etc
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics