Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
One free day in Israel, ideas please!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 6:13 am
We have one day to tour. We've already done Rosh Hanikra, Tzfat, the Dead Sea, Masada, Ein Gedi, Chevron, the Old City/Ir Dovid- I would love ideas of a new area/activity to explore! TIA for all ideas!!

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 6:17 am
Shomron area

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 6:23 am
How about Caesarea? They have good exhibits on the history of the area, both ancient and modern, and there is a Roman aqueduct to explore.

It's a few years since I was there, but I remember it was a good day out.

If the weather is good enough there is a nice beach to either play or walk along the sea front.

Apart from that, your visit seems to have been focused on the centre and north. You might want to see if anything in the south appeals to you.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 6:46 am
Shiloh

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 10:21 am
Following
keep ideas coming

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 10:39 am
Which section of Israel?
South-what about snorkeling or something like that?
Or hike the red mountains or whatever.
North-really cool hikes, roam the streets of Tzfat

madys

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 10:41 am
Haifa - bahai gardens

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 10:56 am
Where in Israel will you be based when you have this free day?
What time of year?

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 11:11 am
We really loved the Golan area, if you're already up in the North. Lots of cool stuff to do there - Nimrod's castle, Har Bental, the Banias, Tel Dan, Katzrin wine and oil factory tours

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:37 pm
DrMom wrote:
Where in Israel will you be based when you have this free day?
What time of year?

Near Be'er Sheva on Pesach, thanks!

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ohhh, then visit ancient Susya! You'll literally see the Talmud's descriptions of the layout of a Jewish town before your eyes, the ruins are beautiful, and they built tunnels between the houses and Beit Knesset to stay safe from Christian marauders, which you can go into and explore! (Bring headlamps - only the main path is lit.) Tourists haven't really found it yet, and it's just north of Beer Sheva. And the gift shop has really well priced beauty products Wink (I think I got a liter of jojoba oil there for 60 shek.)

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Machtesh Ramon. Beautuful nature reserve.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:28 pm
Rappel wrote:
Ohhh, then visit ancient Susya! You'll literally see the Talmud's descriptions of the layout of a Jewish town before your eyes, the ruins are beautiful, and they built tunnels between the houses and Beit Knesset to stay safe from Christian marauders, which you can go into and explore! (Bring headlamps - only the main path is lit.) Tourists haven't really found it yet, and it's just north of Beer Sheva. And the gift shop has really well priced beauty products Wink (I think I got a liter of jojoba oil there for 60 shek.)

Sounds really interesting. Did you take a tour guide? How long did you spend there?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:29 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Machtesh Ramon. Beautuful nature reserve.

What did you do there?

banana123

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:31 pm
Be'er Avraham
Mamshit

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 4:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sounds really interesting. Did you take a tour guide? How long did you spend there?

DH is just finishing getting his your guide license, so he took us. I'm sure you can get an English tour there though, of you call in ahead.

You can definitely work the site at several levels. If you have lots of kids, climbing and exploring would be the name of the game, with cool facts thrown in. If your group is a little older, then you'll have more time to associate the architectural, archeological, historical and Talmudic aspects of the site. I know there's also an explanatory film, but we've never taken the time to see it. Our trips there usually last around 4 hours, and are only cut short by the needs of our toddlers.

Only one thing: if someone in your group can't do stairs, then they probably won't enjoy the visit. There is handicap access to the main areas of the site, but there's very little shade in those parts, and you can't get up close and into the buildings and mikvaot without going on any stairs at all.

And again, if you are an agile group - the escape tunnels are amazing Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics