Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Siyum HaShas- what struck you?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

keym

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:07 pm
http://hefkervelt.blogspot.com.....l?m=1

Here I found a replay of the full MetLife event.

1) R Shmuel Kamenetzky's voice and comments during the hadran. Made me bawl.
2) like someone else said, the survivors. We have so few left. Can you imagine the feeling to see this after witnessing the destruction.
3) for some reason, I cried every time they showed the stream in Lublin, Poland. I mean that's where it all began- daf yomi, 90 years ago.
4) during the salute to those learning the Daf. I mean these are just ordinary people with ordinary capabilities. If you actually think about what they accomplished- mind-blowing. And what that means for me in anything.

Chaya123

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:10 pm
I cried over everything, it was so emotional, especially as was my first time ever attending.
The huge crowds of all types and stripes all so pleasant, polite and well behaved, all heading in same direction for same purpose. The woman standing behind me at security check who offered me her 2nd closed water bottle, when mine had to be confiscated due to all being opened. The awesome sight once I reached my seat of the huge crowd KAH, and I just thought to myself and davened to Hashem, please make all these yidden live and be healthy until 120 and not get sick or attacked ch'v!
The sick child and his proud look on his face, the man with ALS (is he the one from Monsey whose wife speaks at all Bikur cholim events?), the singing and dancing again of all types of yidden together out in the freezing cold, the kel malei rachamim and watching those holocaust survivors, especially the one crying and thinking of my own grandparents who recently passed away and were survivors and seeing those holocaust pictures and just trying to fathom for one minute what these poor kedoshim went thru.
Davening and saying tehillim with such a mass crowd, in the company of such gedolim, all the eis ratzon of each speaker, where I just cried for everyone I know who needs a refuah and yeshua. May Hashem answer all our tefillos l'tova!
All in all, was tremendous inspiration and pride, especially as dh's first time completing daf yomi and my first time attending.
Mi Keamcha Yisroel and I'm sure we made a huge kiddush Hashem!

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:10 pm
How incredibly behaved that crowd was!!!! Can you imagine any other type of gathering in that stadium of 93,000 ppl for any event (not of the Jewish kind), behaving this respectfully and appropriately? It was amazing!!!

Chaya123

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:16 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
How incredibly behaved that crowd was!!!! Can you imagine any other type of gathering in that stadium of 93,000 ppl for any event (not of the Jewish kind), behaving this respectfully and appropriately? It was amazing!!!

yes, that's what the woman sitting next to me on bus way home said. She has never been to any ball games but can only imagine the cursing, drinking and misbehavior that must go on. And look at us! Mi Kemacha Yisroel!

yidishmamma

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:16 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

Yes kept stressing that point to my children

crystal

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:14 pm
[quote="keym"]http://hefkervelt.blogspot.com/2020/01/video-replay-of-siyum-hashas.html?m=1

Thanks! Anybody know at approximately what point should it be? I'm referring to the man with ALS. A general time frame is fine, within first hour, after rabbi frand etc?

Chaya123

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:21 pm
[quote="crystal"]
keym wrote:
http://hefkervelt.blogspot.com/2020/01/video-replay-of-siyum-hashas.html?m=1

Thanks! Anybody know at approximately what point should it be? I'm referring to the man with ALS. A general time frame is fine, within first hour, after rabbi frand etc?

https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c.....25378
2:25:12
Rabbi Shlomo Farhi speaking about him.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:25 pm
[quote="crystal"]
keym wrote:
http://hefkervelt.blogspot.com/2020/01/video-replay-of-siyum-hashas.html?m=1

There is also an article about him in the magazine they gave out at the siyum, if you can get your hands on one. Not sure if it's available online.

mazelandbracha

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:18 pm
After Rabbi Krohn spoke, when the whole stadium was singing Ani Maamin. I looked at the women around me, all swaying, and most with tears rolling down their cheeks. It was absolutely breathtaking.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:31 pm
DS9 was impressed by the man with ALS and the son who bargained his father into learning daf yomi.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:32 pm
I was struck by the holocaust survivors getting emotional about experiencing this massive gathering - this is what they survived the war for... a Nekama for H****r yemach shmo... (if you're rewatching it's at about 2:50 or so)

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:52 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
When Reb Leibish Lish called out the boy going through cancer treatments I was bawling. Crying Crying Crying

me too!! anyone know at what point in the recording I can find this?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:59 pm
I liked the tail gaters

UQT

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 10:07 pm
I only watched bits and pieces as I couldn't go, but what struck me was the fact that we don't just learn for the sake of knowledge. Torah has the power to change a person by the mere fact that they study it. As a mother of mesivta age boys who sometimes struggle to learn it was a powerful takeaway. The studying is the goal, by just learning and plugging you can be a hero. It's not like the Secular studies where you are only rewarded if you excel (I.e. pass the bar, medical school).

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 10:09 pm
I am a tough nut to crack.
I seldom get moved by speeches, rabbanim, and I tend to not even bother listening, because it's blah, blah blah...in short, I'm not interested.
But somehow, something in me broke. I cried. I bawled. I talked to Hashem.

I didn't even go, I watched it from home, and as Rabbi Mandel screamed the שיר המעלות and said it was an עת רצון, I bawled my eyes out, for my DC who needs a shidduch. I begged. I pleaded. I screamed. I cried. Something in me connected in a way Ive never connected before, watching each and every person cry to hashem for his/ her own personal yeshuah.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 10:52 pm
Guy with als lives in Flatbush

aimhabanim

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 10:56 pm
I didn't watch yesterday but all these beautiful and moving responses have inspired me. Am I still able to see it? Where?

b.chadash

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:13 am
aimhabanim wrote:
I didn't watch yesterday but all these beautiful and moving responses have inspired me. Am I still able to see it? Where?

The entire recording can be viewed online. Just type in siyum hashas.

b.chadash

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:18 am
I just wanted to share something I just read:
True story happened this morning, January 2.
A yid was driving on GS parkway. He was pulled over by a state trooper for weaving in and out of traffic. The trooper looked at him and said, I have one question for you, did you do your page yet today? He answered that he didn't do it yet. The trooper said, I'll let you off if you promise to do the page later today. The trooper, who was at the Siyum said he was most impressed by having seen thousands of people celebrating and no- one drunk!

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:09 am
Dh was pretty high up in the safety operations department regarding planning and implementing the security and safety measures that were needed.

Since the event, he has been inundated with messages from many different branches and departments about how impressed everyone was while working with this unique crowd.

They were especially impressed by the professionalism of our agencies and the cooperation of the crowds. They also said, they have never been showered with as much gratitude for providing safety to a crowd as they were during the event. They were extremely impressed and bh it was a proud moment for dh!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days