Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
What do you serve for wedding main course and save money
Previous  1  2

lifesagift

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:23 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
DH is a vegetarian and we had no meat at all at our wedding and everyone enjoyed the food.

Seriously the caterers serve too much anyway, nobody's too hungry when it comes to main. if ur vegetarian u can fill up on other things within the 5 course meal. Unless vegetarian option brings the price down or a huge chunk of the crowd is vegetarian, I don't think it's necessary

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:29 pm
watergirl wrote:
Entree is the main course. I think you mean appetizer.

I'm quibbling and it's off topic but it's important because I've been misunderstood over this before and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

"Entree" is a French word. It's a little like the word "Entry". In countries outside the US , it means a first small course before the main course. What Americans call an Appetizer. Only in the US does it mean main course.

OP don't feel fight with the machatonim it's not worth it. Try to persuade then not to do spicy because some people won't like it, that's all.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:34 pm
lifesagift wrote:
Seriously the caterers serve too much anyway, nobody's too hungry when it comes to main. if ur vegetarian u can fill up on other things within the 5 course meal. Unless vegetarian option brings the price down or a huge chunk of the crowd is vegetarian, I don't think it's necessary

At a meal where the waiter comes around with plates for everyone with the main course - its not so nice to just be sitting there with no plate because you don't eat meat.

librarygirl

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:38 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
At a meal where the waiter comes around with plates for everyone with the main course - its not so nice to just be sitting there with no plate because you don't eat meat.

I love your amother color LOL

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:41 pm
watergirl wrote:
Entree is the main course. I think you mean appetizer.

In American English. In British English, entree is an appetizer.

ETA: Sorry, just finished reading the thread and I see someone mentioned that already.

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

oneofakind

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:41 pm
You can have the caterer have fish for the vegetarians.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:43 pm
at the plain wedding we went to they just took the meat and chicken off the plate and served
the side veggies
at the fancy wedding they had an option for people who do not eat meat it was eggplant
both times the meal was served quickly .

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:44 pm
oneofakind wrote:
You can have the caterer have fish for the vegetarians.

Vegetarians don't eat fish.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:49 pm
lifesagift wrote:

It's a moral matter, some people don't want to kill animals to eat ( I'm not a vegetarian btw).
And most people do eat vegetarian mains, plus you can have dairy as main which is delicious! Very Happy

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:51 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
at the plain wedding we went to they just took the meat and chicken off the plate and served
the side veggies
at the fancy wedding they had an option for people who do not eat meat it was eggplant
both times the meal was served quickly .

I don't think vegetarians would like to eat their veggies with meat juices!

shmosmom

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:57 pm
We offered two types of chicken at our wedding (no meat cuz $$$) and the caterer prepared about 20 fish portions for people who didn't wanna eat meat.
Honestly, if you were there for the whole wedding you probably ate some at reception, and if you didn't then you ate at home.
There's also an app and soup.
Wouldn't fight with mechatunim- new family- over this.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 10:00 pm
Amother grey, Jews being vegetarian because they don't like animals being killed is not a jewish way of thinking. Hashem created animals so we should have what to eat. The vegetarians I know are vegetarian for health reasons.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 11:01 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Amother grey, Jews being vegetarian because they don't like animals being killed is not a jewish way of thinking. Hashem created animals so we should have what to eat. The vegetarians I know are vegetarian for health reasons.

It depends. Rav Kook was vegetarian and anyone who would be willing to eat from the Pesach sacrifice when the time comes, it doesn't interfere with halacha. There are times when one must eat meat for halacha reasons, but it does not apply to simchot.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 11:25 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
There shouldn't be any real difference in price between sweet chicken and spicy chicken. The caterer said it would cost more to have a choice?

Of course. It’s more work and you need extra of each type because you don’t know what ppl will choose.

When I made a bar mitzvah - for $28 menu - it was $2 extra per person to offer a choice. I’d assume the cost goes up based on the cost of the menu.

I always lean toward shalom. You have 3 choices. But please only go with 2 for peace of new couple.
1. Pay for the choice. If it is just $2-3 per person.
2. Just smile and allow other side to choose the main for the sake of peace.
3. Make a big deal about it and force them to take your choice.

(If a catere has a choice on his menu I’d assume it is geared to a wide range of palettes)

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 11:27 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:

You can ask them to bring you a plate with just veggies and potatoes and leave off the meat. My sil does that all the time. The waiters are happy to accommodate and load up the plate with non meat food.
Many tines there is a few pieces of fish in the kitchen for those that request.

essie14

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 3:17 am
librarygirl wrote:
I love your amother color LOL

OMG, how perfect LOL

I can't remember a wedding where there wasn't a fish option or potato bureka for vegetarians. Of course as the baal simcha you should make sure this is available. Maybe I am more aware because we always had vegetarians in our family so since I was a child my mother always served vegetarian options at our home smachot and of course at catered events.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 4:38 am
If spicy is so important to some of the people there, why not offer a choice of gravy to each person - spicy or classic - that they can pour over the food themselves?

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 7:56 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Vegetarians don't eat fish.

Many do. People dont always differentiate between being a vegetarian and a pescatarian and sometimes even vegan. Also, many pescatatians refer to themselves as vegetarians because its just easier.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:09 am
watergirl wrote:
Many do. People dont always differentiate between being a vegetarian and a pescatarian and sometimes even vegan. Also, many pescatatians refer to themselves as vegetarians because its just easier.

Sorry but pescatarians who call themselves vegetarians are misusing the term vegetarian( maybe to sound more pious?)

Vegetarians eat vegetables and some eat animal derived food like milk and eggs. This doesn't involve killing animals.

Fish is an animal, vegetarians don't eat animals.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics