Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Using a public bathroom with baby
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 7:23 pm
I've had this issue a couple of times and was just thingking: there's gotta be some smart imas out there!
I was in a mall / department store and needed the bathroom. Had my little baby in the stroller. The handicap bathroom was unusable (as were half of the other bathrooms Laugh ) so I couldn't bring her stroller in with me.
How can I watch my baby while using the bathroom? Strangers are coming and going.
WWYD?

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 7:30 pm
Carry her in. Do everything one-handed. Not worth the risk.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 7:32 pm
Rappel wrote:
Carry her in. Do everything one-handed. Not worth the risk.

Haha this is what I specialize in

teachkids

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 7:47 pm
I just take the handicapped stall. There's gotta be an available handicap or separate bathroom somewhere. Ask staff if you need to. Worst case, I bring baby in and have her stand in front of me with her hands in my hands clapping hands or something while I go.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 7:48 pm
Maybe pack a baby carrier just in case.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 7:52 pm
I would ask someone washing their hands if they had a 30 seconds to watch the stroller while I peed.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 7:57 pm
would never ask a stranger to do that

id go to the handicapped stall

or even pull stroller in and leave door somewhat open but blocked no one can see

or take baby out and hold baby on my lap with stroller pulled under stall as much as possible

sometimes there is a "family" bathroom large enough to pull stroller into

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 7:58 pm
I always had a sling or other carrier with me for these reasons, even if I was using a stroller.

Also, most malls now have family restrooms, which is a large single-toilet room. Ask about it next time.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:41 pm
Asking a stranger is actually pretty safe because you can profile and even if chas v'shalom they are not trustworthy, you are right there and in case of an emergency could rush out and deal with the situation.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:44 pm
Asking a stranger to watch your baby is the worst idea anyone could have, especially nowadays with everything that is going on.

If you wouldn't give your wallet to a stranger, you certainly shouldn't give your baby!!

Carry your baby with you, leave the stroller out.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:47 pm
The only stores & shopping center's I've had a problem taking in a stroller, are the local jewish shopping centers. At the malls there are family & handicap bathrooms. Maybe once I didn't find a bigger bathroom and I held my baby while I went.

Dolly1

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:00 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Asking a stranger to watch your baby is the worst idea anyone could have, especially nowadays with everything that is going on.

If you wouldn't give your wallet to a stranger, you certainly shouldn't give your baby!!

Carry your baby with you, leave the stroller out.

100%!!
We once visited an amusement park near lake george (the name slipped my mind) and they had the most genius “baby seats” in every bathroom! Basically what it was...: a small seat attached to the wall. If mom comes in with baby she unfolds the bottom part of the seat, sits baby in and straps her just like some kind of high chair. Baby is safe while mom uses the bathroom. I LOVED the idea and cudnt stop wondering why none of the malls or airports ever imitated it!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:05 pm

Studies show that's pretty safe too, although there are more thieves in the world than there are people who would harm a child.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:07 pm
Dolly1 wrote:
100%!!
We once visited an amusement park near lake george (the name slipped my mind) and they had the most genius “baby seats” in every bathroom! Basically what it was...: a small seat attached to the wall. If mom comes in with baby she unfolds the bottom part of the seat, sits baby in and straps her just like some kind of high chair. Baby is safe while mom uses the bathroom. I LOVED the idea and cudnt stop wondering why none of the malls or airports ever imitated it!

That's genius!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:10 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Studies show that's pretty safe too, although there are more thieves in the world than there are people who would harm a child.

Pretty safe is not enough when it concerns your baby, plus it's a minor inconvenience to have to being him in with you.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:11 pm
Pretty safe is not enough when it concerns your baby, plus it's a minor inconvenience to have to being him in with you.

It's not safe to have him in there either.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:20 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
It's not safe to have him in there either.

Better than being outside with some stranger.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:23 pm
Thanks for the replies.
She doesn't stand so bringing her in would mean holding her... guess I don't have enough mom experience yet to figure out how to use the bathroom while holding a baby!!

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
She doesn't stand so bringing her in would mean holding her... guess I don't have enough mom experience yet to figure out how to use the bathroom while holding a baby!!

The truth is I don't remember being out for long enough that I'd need to use the bathroom all on my own with a baby that young. I either planned my trips to be shorter and used the bathroom before I left, or went with Dh or another friend or family member, or went to places where I knew I'd find good accommodations (I.e. Nordstrom- they have a place where I can nurse my baby!).

shanarishona

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 11:54 pm
I have this in one office building I go to.

Handicapped bathroom is locked

One time I had todo the one hand thing

Not easy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics