Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What are some signs of walking pneumonia in babies?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 10:26 am
My one year old has been sick all week. Coughing and sneezing, not eating or sleeping, throwing up (mucus related). No fever. He looks pale and not acting himself. We’ve been to the doctor a few times this week and he said he’s not concerned. I am.

What should I look out for as symptoms that something more is brewing?

iluvy

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 10:32 am
Hugs. This looks like an informative website: https://www.medicalnewstoday.c.....6.php

Doctors have told me signs of danger are: any blueness around the lips, fast-shallow breathing, if their breathing is so hard for them you can see the bottom of their ribs

Refuah shleimah

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 10:45 am
My baby had no symptoms. He refused to eat and was weak. I "sensed" something was wrong. The third visit to the doctor he had pneumonia.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 10:53 am
ectomorph wrote:
My baby had no symptoms. He refused to eat and was weak. I "sensed" something was wrong. The third visit to the doctor he had pneumonia.

the doctor caught it? I had him checked twice yesterday and both doctors didn't hear anything in his lungs. I'm still worried.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 10:58 am
Unfortunately doctors can’t hear pneumonia until it gets bad. It doesn’t mean it’s not there.
Usually there would be fever though.
You can get an ultrasound or xray to be sure.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Unfortunately doctors can’t hear pneumonia until it gets bad. It doesn’t mean it’s not there.
Usually there would be fever though.
You can get an ultrasound or xray to be sure.

He had a brief fever and it went away. But I took him to dr anyway. It was double pneumonia. And my doctor is a pulmonologist and a good one. Sometimes you just have to keep on insisting...

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:02 am
He may or may not have pneumonia. As a nurse, I would be more concerned about his intake/hydration status. Not acting himself for so long and not eating/drinking well would be enough of a concern to consider fluid administration. Try Pedialyte popsicles (or any popsicle) and see if he'll take it. If he doesn't, I would go to ED. He may not need admission- but just a bolus to help him get over this bump

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:05 am
Not eating 24 hours under 25 pounds I always take to ER if pediatrician not immediately available. Over 25 lbs under 6 years old I would take after 2 days not eating or 1 day not drinking.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:26 am
He’s drinking. He just doesn’t have an appetite and is eating minimally. He also threw up 4-5 times yesterday so even what he ate came up.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He’s drinking. He just doesn’t have an appetite and is eating minimally. He also threw up 4-5 times yesterday so even what he ate came up.

I would take to ER at that point honestly. He sounds really sick.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:30 am
Is he making wet diapers?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:42 am
ectomorph wrote:
Is he making wet diapers?

Yes. And very loose smelly dirty.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:34 pm
How many?

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:55 pm
When my younger sister was a toddler she also wasn't feeling well for a few days. Low grade to no temperature but acting very lethargic and not ok.
Finally after a few visits the Dr diagnosed her with pneumonia. She told my mom it's extremely hard to catch. Especially with no to low fever. But she said it's all about how the baby is acting. My sister was acting miserable which made her suspect that.
It wasn't an easy ride. She was hospitalized for 2 weeks and had to have surgery to drain her lung. (This was almost 20 years ago. )

Op trust your gut. Keep on going back.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 1:49 pm
How bad is the cough?

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 2:58 pm
There is something about a mothers intuition that you should never ignore (unless you are super anxious about everything)

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 3:02 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
There is something about a mothers intuition that you should never ignore (unless you are super anxious about everything)
doctors thought I was super anxious about everything. Turned out my kid had a systemic issue.

pizzapie

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 3:24 pm
I would insist on a chest x ray. Pneumonia can be very difficult to diagnose in babies by just listening with a stethoscope. Trust your gut as a mom, if it doesn't feel right you need to insist on more testing.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 3:31 pm
Cough is sporadic, he didn’t throw up today. Breathing seems normal. He only ate less than one egg today but drank normally. Seems weak and pale but that is probably from a week of not eating. Does it sound like he’s on the mend? Shabbos is coming in so I kind of feel helpless in that I have to wait until after to do further testing.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 3:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Cough is sporadic, he didn’t throw up today. Breathing seems normal. He only ate less than one egg today but drank normally. Seems weak and pale but that is probably from a week of not eating. Does it sound like he’s on the mend? Shabbos is coming in so I kind of feel helpless in that I have to wait until after to do further testing.

No. I would take to ER personally and insist on x Ray/ultrasound and blood work. A week of not eating is too long. Take an uber now and get help for your kids.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics