Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I want a career where I can make 90,000$
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 7:48 am
I'm smart, good at whatever I try ba"h, hard-working. I can go to college. Advice please? thanks so much

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 7:51 am
So would I!

How did you come up with this amount? What are your interests? I would go on glassdoor and look up careers that you are interested in, see what the median pay is, and go from there.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 7:54 am
I am a healthcare recruiter. If your interested in healthcare careers I can give you some suggestions.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 7:55 am
App developer
Pharmacist
Audiologist
Dermatologist
Podiatrist
Lawyer (big law)
CPA (big 4)
Psychiatrist

Do you like math or science? How many years do you want to spend in school? What type of hours do you want to work?

It also depends where you live special ed or speech can earn a lot in ny but a lot less in Baltimore

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:01 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
App developer
Pharmacist
Audiologist
Dermatologist
Podiatrist
Lawyer (big law)
CPA (big 4)
Psychiatrist

Do you like math or science? How many years do you want to spend in school? What type of hours do you want to work?

It also depends where you live special ed or speech can earn a lot in ny but a lot less in Baltimore

A lot of times salaries in NY are higher than out of town because the cost of living is much higher there so it’s possible that the money a special ed teacher gets in NY goes just as far as the lower salary one in Baltimore gets. Just a thought.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:22 am
watergirl wrote:
So would I!

How did you come up with this amount? What are your interests? I would go on glassdoor and look up careers that you are interested in, see what the median pay is, and go from there.
im wondering if glassdoor is accurate - in terms of this- I tried the salary calculator for fun. My job which I left (now looking for new job) was paying me 38,000$ and when I did the salary calculator it said I should've been paid 49, 800$...the place where I was working refused to pay me any more although they were very happy with me...just wondering for the future, is it accurate, like were they really majorly underpaying me? ( I left for different reasons, although now I want to work towards a career with more pay)

hodeez

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:24 am
Go for programming

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:25 am
Therapist

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:27 am
I just did glassdoor for myself and I come out a few grand ahead of what they say I should get paid. I think overall its pretty accurate.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:28 am
mha3484 wrote:
I just did glassdoor for myself and I come out a few grand ahead of what they say I should get paid. I think overall its pretty accurate.

What's glassdoor?

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:30 am
90K for a professional is not very much.

Any field where you advance should get you a salary in that range. Aside from specific fields which are known to make less.

If you are looking for that much as a starting salary then you will have to become a PA, NP, lawyer, pharmacist, administrator for nursing home, specialized therapist, etc

You will probably need a bachelors and a masters which is at least a five year commitment.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
im wondering if glassdoor is accurate - in terms of this- I tried the salary calculator for fun. My job which I left (now looking for new job) was paying me 38,000$ and when I did the salary calculator it said I should've been paid 49, 800$...the place where I was working refused to pay me any more although they were very happy with me...just wondering for the future, is it accurate, like were they really majorly underpaying me? ( I left for different reasons, although now I want to work towards a career with more pay)

Did you assume 40 hours.

I make 92,000 working 32 hours/week. Glassdoor said 112,000 assuming 40 hours. In that sense I was coming out very slightly ahead.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Glass door relies on people in specific jobs to report their salaries. I’m a school counselor (with some career counseling training background from my masters) and just looked up my job on glass door and I make almost $20,000 more than the highest salary they report. But I looked at the top of the page and the info was only from 14 people reporting their salaries which is not good data. A website with actual good data is O-net. I remember learning about in my career counseling course in grad school. It’s developed under the sponsorship of US Department of Labor/Employment and Training Administration. It gives you tons of good information on jobs and evidence-based assessments to find a career that suits your interests. It also includes good data about salaries and you can be specific about seeing the salary info for your state. Here’s the link: https://www.onetonline.org/

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You have to search for the right state and hours, as others have said.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:50 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Did you assume 40 hours.

I make 92,000 working 32 hours/week. Glassdoor said 112,000 assuming 40 hours. In that sense I was coming out very slightly ahead.
do you mind sharing what you do? well I hit the full time option-do they assume full time means 40 hours? I also worked 32 hours

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
do you mind sharing what you do? well I hit the full time option-do they assume full time means 40 hours? I also worked 32 hours

Full time is 40 hours. My salary is adjusted for 32 hours.

Software. I actually thought it would be higher for my experience. But I work from home with flex time and passed on advancement to manager positions - which means I’m not really getting a higher salary unless I’m willing to be more flexible.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:55 am
Where do you live?
Ot/pt/speech can make that in NY

SisterSix

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:55 am
mha3484 wrote:
I am a healthcare recruiter. If your interested in healthcare careers I can give you some suggestions.

Please don’t go into healthcare if you’re just in it for the money. Besides being terrible for your patients, it’s not good for you either.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:56 am
SisterSix wrote:
Please don’t go into healthcare if you’re just in it for the money. Besides being terrible for your patients, it’s not good for you either.

Same advice for any job that involves working with people. Teaching, babysitting, etc.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 9:04 am
SisterSix wrote:

Most healthy people have altruistic and humanistic compassionate tendencies, and enjoy helping other people. They just have to be practical and think of how they're going to make ends meet first.

That being said, becoming a doctor or similar is grueling (not to mention expensive) schooling and starting hours and takes a lot of passion and dedication. If you're not 110% into it, you'll get burnt out pretty quickly.

You can make a decent salary as a software engineer, IT analyst, systems manager, CPA, quantitative analyst, or a myriad of other white color jobs with zero passion required.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics