Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Melatonin safe to put kids to sleep?
1  2  Next

Beingreal

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 9:00 pm
I have been hearing melatonin works winders for kids to fall asleep...Is it?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 9:07 pm
Sleep is very important for a child's well being and development. If does not get sleep, then speak to your doctor about melatonin.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 9:08 pm
Melatonin is safe for once in a while use, not for long term. If it takes a long time for your child to fall asleep every night, to talk your doctor about causes and options.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 9:13 pm
Our pediatrician said no, our columbia neurologist laughed when I said I slice up the 1mg chewable and give her 1/6th, she said I can just give her the whole thing. (we give 1/4mg, she doesn't need more than that).

There are some other supplements you can try before resorting to melatonin if you are worried. lots and lots of magnesium throughout the day. We find magnesium threonate and magnesium taurate especially calming. GABA, tryptophan, 5htp, l theanine, tyrosine, glycine, Lemon balm, valerian root.

just me!!

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 9:24 pm
I once read a long article about all the pros and cons
bottom line was that's not bad but when taken for a long time might not be able to fall asleep anymore at all without taking it....

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 9:24 pm
ITs amazing and miraculous but I only use it for transatlantic flights (when she wouldn’t sleep without it but needs to)

Beingreal

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 9:26 pm
My son gets carsick and refuses to take dramanine. I was looking into options...

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 9:32 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Our pediatrician said no, our columbia neurologist laughed when I said I slice up the 1mg chewable and give her 1/6th, she said I can just give her the whole thing. (we give 1/4mg, she doesn't need more than that).

There are some other supplements you can try before resorting to melatonin if you are worried. lots and lots of magnesium throughout the day. We find magnesium threonate and magnesium taurate especially calming. GABA, tryptophan, 5htp, l theanine, tyrosine, glycine, Lemon balm, valerian root.

Is GABA safer than melatonin ?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 9:33 pm
Beingreal wrote:
My son gets carsick and refuses to take dramanine. I was looking into options...

Bonine. It comes in chewable form as well. It does not make me drowsy, unlike dramamine. It was a lifesaver for me as a kid.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 9:40 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Is GABA safer than melatonin ?

have you heard otherwise? I don't know of any risks associated with taking supplemental gaba

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 9:50 pm
Beingreal wrote:

Please discuss this with your pediatrician.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 10:00 pm
Magnesium is safer long term. Speak to a pediatrician to make sure long term is safe for your kid. I use it for my kids.

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 10:03 pm
How much magnesium do you give during the day, and what age kid?

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 10:18 pm
I use magnesium and melatonin. I used to think this vitamin stuff was nonsense until I saw it working. Look up the dose by weight. I use maxi health magnesium powder.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 10:26 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
have you heard otherwise? I don't know of any risks associated with taking supplemental gaba

I haven’t heard of any Known risks associated with GABA or melatonin. You said melatonin was a last resort so I was just wondering if GABA is known to be a safer option. I have used both.

lora

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 10:27 pm
daily calcium and magnesium help as well, if a child is low in calcium it makes it hard for them to fall asleep and magnesium works to balance the calcium.
melatonin is not a daily option just once in a while like after yom tov to get back on schedule.
also a well balanced meal an hour or two before bed helps, lots of protein and enough carbs so they feel nice and full.
exercise a few hours before bed can help to, like jumping on a trampoline right after school, gets them tired.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 10:28 pm
It gives me nightmares. Works for some ppl tho

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 10:44 pm
andrea levy wrote:
It gives me nightmares. Works for some ppl tho

Have you tried a smaller dose? Nightmares/ strange dreams often happen when the dosage is too high. I take 1/3 mg and give my kids the same (used for them around 2-3 times a year). We all react well to that dosage. I can't figure out why they almost always come in much higher dosages and need to be cut.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 10:52 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Bonine. It comes in chewable form as well. It does not make me drowsy, unlike dramamine. It was a lifesaver for me as a kid.

I second Bonamine

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 11:01 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I haven’t heard of any Known risks associated with GABA or melatonin. You said melatonin was a last resort so I was just wondering if GABA is known to be a safer option. I have used both.
I didn't say it was a last resort. I consider both safe. I know some people out there are wary of melatonin but somehow gaba doesn't have that same bad rap. How do you find they compare?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics