Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Del
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:03 pm
Del

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:04 pm
8 is a bit young for this....
I would tell you to mention it to the principle to hear his opinion.

trixx

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:06 pm
If he can't be bothered to learn the kids names he shouldn't be a teacher.
If his memory is bad, he has any other illness or any other dlkz reason you could possibly think of, he shouldn't be a teacher.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:06 pm
I would ask the Rebbe what this is about to make sure you are getting an accurate picture.
Is it just for numbering the test so it's more objective?
But then wouldn't he learn the numbers which correlate to the name anyway?
On the face of it sure does not sound like something I would be okay with.
Dehumanizing.
Really not a Jewish thing. People's essence is in their Hebrew name. We have had experience with being numbered R"L Sad

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:07 pm
Oy this is absolutely awful for kids of any age. Every person deserves to be called by their name. I would bring it up to the principal and not let that matter go till it's taken care of. How it is even possible to be a good teacher if he can't be bothered to call students by their names?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:08 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I would ask the Rebbe what this is about to make sure you are getting an accurate picture.
Is it just for numbering the test so it's more objective?
But then wouldn't he learn the numbers which correlate to the name anyway?
On the face of it sure does not sound like something I would be okay with.
Dehumanizing.

No. He calls them up in class by number too.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:10 pm
It just makes me think of the number branded into my grandmother's (may she live till 120) arm.

trixx

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It just makes me think of the number branded into my grandmother's (may she live till 120) arm.

This was my first thought too. And if he's a rebbi in a chassidish cheder he should be all the more sensitive to this.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:18 pm
When I went to Bais Yaakov Highschool I once complained to a mechaneches how painful it was to go to school and the teachers didn’t even know us by name. It was a very large school and they taught hundreds of students . I remember telling her it feels like our school is factory and we are just numbered items on an assembly line. It took away that feeling of being human.
Please discuss this with the rebbe and explain how painful this can be to a child. If he doesn’t “hear” you, then take it up with the menahel. But speak up.

singleagain

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:21 pm
I had a teacher I'm high school who gave you a five pound Hershey kiss if he didn't know your name at the end of the year.

I also had a teacher in college who asked us to sit in the same seat and took a Polaroid of us to lable with our names, to help him learn them.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:24 pm
In high school we all had a little sign with our names sitting on our desks till the teachers knew our names.

gingertop

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:26 pm
Really weird and off-putting. Raises a lot of red flags for me.

There are people who have a hard time with faces but I can't imagine how using numbers would help?

singleagain

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:31 pm
gingertop wrote:
Really weird and off-putting. Raises a lot of red flags for me.

There are people who have a hard time with faces but I can't imagine how using numbers would help?

This... It's still matching a face to a name.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:33 pm
Right - its all good to be DKLZ but this does not sound tolerable. Id speak up. Id speak to other mothers in the class and DH then the Rebbe and menahel if it does not change.
Is the Rebbe old? young/new?
Regardless not okay.
There are other ways like signs if he needs help remembering names.

s c

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:41 pm
I have a terange daughter in a bais yakov high school . They have a Rebbe who is very highly thought of in the outside world who has been teaching them for a long while now. He once told them matter of factly that he cant be bothered to learn who they all are and didnt see anything at all wrong with that. As a result a lot of the girls lost respect for him as a person.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:46 pm
I think a call to the rebbi is in order!
Let him explain it himself!

nchr

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 1:51 pm
Some people do this because other individuals corrext their tests..

trixx

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 2:03 pm
s c wrote:
I have a terange daughter in a bais yakov high school . They have a Rebbe who is very highly thought of in the outside world who has been teaching them for a long while now. He once told them matter of factly that he cant be bothered to learn who they all are and didnt see anything at all wrong with that. As a result a lot of the girls lost respect for him as a person.

I can easily be dlkz this - a prominent rabbi doesn't want the intimacy of knowing his teenage female students names.

This is not the case with 8 year old boys and a male teacher - they should specifically be developing a strong mentor/father like relationship with him. That's basically the job description at this age. What they learn is not as important as who they learn it from.

singleagain

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 2:06 pm
trixx wrote:
I can easily be dlkz this - a prominent rabbi doesn't want the intimacy of knowing his teenage female students names.

This is not the case with 8 year old boys and a male teacher - they should specifically be developing a strong mentor/father like relationship with him. That's basically the job description at this age. What they learn is not as important as who they learn it from.

At least, miss lastname, if first name is to intimate.

pbandjelly

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 2:08 pm
This requires immediate attention! What happens when you call the teacher and say I am so and so's parent..he won't even know who you are talking about unless you say your son's number!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics