Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Credit-Card
1  2  Next

Do you use to much your Credit-Card?
No  
 68%  [ 22 ]
Yes,few times  
 31%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 32

amother

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 6:53 am
Are you also in the moment using to much your credit-card.
Do you live of your Credit-Card?

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 6:58 am
Nope. We use money we have. Once in a while I use the credit card if I need something on the spot and know I will be able to pay it off in the next few months. I think it's mostly an American thing to overuse credit cards.

justanothermother

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 7:06 am
We put everything on our credit cards to rack up the rewards and pay the balance in full every month.

MrsS

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 7:10 am
We dont belive in Credit-Card.We spend like this only the money we`ve got and dont come in problems.But few times it is hard because you cant buy everything by phone or internet with out it.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
Are you also in the moment using to much your credit-card.
Do you live of your Credit-Card?

I all the time use credit card, but do not too much think me. Credit card is debit card so no bills , no worry.

mommy24

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 7:54 am
justanothermother wrote:
We put everything on our credit cards to rack up the rewards and pay the balance in full every month.

exactly what we do, we use our credit cards for everything, we get the rewards for each of the cards, but still pay all the balances in full each month.

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 7:57 am
mainy only cash, fro food we will use the card for paying bills...saves time at the postoffice, and if I or the kids need something. very rarely wil we buy o line.
but for regulare expenses such as food I prefer cash..

Starhavah

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 1:56 pm
mommy24 wrote:
justanothermother wrote:

exactly what we do, we use our credit cards for everything, we get the rewards for each of the cards, but still pay all the balances in full each month.

This is what I did before I was married. When I married DH the only debt I had was my student loans. DH had tons of debt and never knew how much he was spending. Until we bought our first house I insisted on seperate bank accounts and completely seperate credit so he would not ruin my credit score.

After 9.5 years of marriage our credit is all tied together, I never know how much money we are spending veruses making and our bills are out of control. On top of that DH make 3-4 times what I do so most of the money comes in from him. We also have no savings.

I know it is terrible to say but when someone dies and we get some inhertance I will be able to pay down the debts and stop worring so much.

Star Havah

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 3:05 pm
I use credit cards to my advantage but treat them as if they are cash. With every purchase, I make an entry in my financial program, which automatically deducts the amount from my checking, as if it was already spent. This way, I can see my balance depleting and there are no surprises at the end of the month. I have worked this way for close to 25 years, have made a lot of rebate money, airline miles and hotel points (all free) and have never gotten into trouble.

MrsLeo

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 5:45 pm
My husband's job is seasonal. He does video production so the months that all the organizations are making their dinners and parties he can make up to $5000 a month but during the off season we barely scrap together rent so we really rely on the credit cards during that time. I think thats what credit cards are there for.
For those of you that are saying that you need credit cards to shop online, most bank cards are debit cards are are visa or mastercard and are just the same as a credit card when shopping online. And they are just as safe as credit cards. If someone steals your number and spends your money most banks will refund it.

ange

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 12:59 pm
We use our credit card almost exclusively - who wants to carry around cash...it just seems to disappear? I just got $125 cash back from all the points. Smile

We also are very makpid on ALWAYS paying the balance in full each month.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 2:27 pm
The only time I ever use cash is when I go to the mikvah. Other then that, I always use credit cards. Credit cards are better because charges can be disputed, you're not screwed if you lose your purse, and if you lose your receipt, you can still return most purchases. It's also an effective way of tracking your spending.

littles

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 3:18 pm
My husband and I are very anti-credit cards. You are much more likely to purchase something you cannot truly afford because you don't have to pay for it at the moment and when you use credit-cards statistically people spend 12% more than when they use cash.

If you don't want to carry around cash you can use a debit card with a Visa/Mastercard logo. This way you can track purchases, dispute purchases, and you will never pay interest or annual fees.

Has any ever heard of Dave Ramsey? He is a financial consultant who has both a radio and TV show and he encourages people to live debt-free. My husband and I follow his guidelines and have been able to make major changes in our life both in terms of saving and spending by getting out of debt (except for our mortgage) and never using credit-cards. It is great that so many of you say you pay off your balance in full each month (the majority of people, however, do not), but the problem is really in the habit and the behavior.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 3:22 pm
I guess I've never really seen a credit card as having money that I don't have. I'm much worse with cash than I am with credit cards. To me, credit card is real money, while cash is more easily thrown away.

cassandra

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 3:47 pm
me too. I've never put more money on a cc than I have to spend. In fact, now I have a charge card which has no limit but requires payment in full each month.

Yakira

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 3:49 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I guess I've never really seen a credit card as having money that I don't have. I'm much worse with cash than I am with credit cards. To me, credit card is real money, while cash is more easily thrown away.

Yes, I agree. I will much sooner buy myself a snack or drink that I don't really need if I have cash on hand.

I'm not a big spender, so I think the things I do buy are needed and it's way easier (and safer IMHO) to pay with a couple of new outfits with a credit card than to start pulling out hundreds from my wallet.

gigi

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 5:22 pm
Always cash.
credit cards are evil Twisted Evil Exploding anger

amother

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 5:28 pm
credit cards are evil ? depends for whom,
we purchase everything with credit cards, I'm married 9 years and always paid the balance in full, its just really conveniant way of budgeting finances.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 5:31 pm
I agree. I budget much better with credit cards. It's a better way to track spending because I get an itemized bill every month and can analyze my spending and figure out what to cut out in the future.

Also, if I'm going to spend money, I might as well get rewarded for doing so.

batya_d

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 5:34 pm
If you PAY YOUR BALANCE IN FULL every month, there's nothing evil about credit cards. People who can't either 1) pay it off in full OR 2) manage the balance very carefully, shouldn't use them. Credit card companies call customers who pay their balance in full every month "dead weight". The company only makes money on people who carry a balance.

I have been using a credit card since I was in HS, but I was taught to always pay the bill in full every month, no matter what. I didn't even know until I was older what the "credit" part meant, that you could spend and not pay it back that month. I thought it was just easier to carry around than cash and you get rewards! I'm proud to be "dead weight".
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics