Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
$500G cash that you cant afford to risk, where to put it?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:13 pm
We dont know for sure, no one does, but hopefully we wont need much of it for about 5 years.

Besides Tzedaka which we give, whats considered the most risk free way to invest that kind of money, besides CDs that are FDIC insured?

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:21 pm
U need a financial planner. Not random women online.

U probably want to diversify over a bunch of relatively safe mutual funds.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:22 pm
Financial adviser
Safe Mutual funds like vanguard

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:22 pm
It's not FDIC insured beyond $250,000 unless you have different ownership.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:33 pm
😂😂😂

Woman with half a million to invest wants random imamothers to tell her what to do with it.

Well, sequoia's fund is still active.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:35 pm
In the Mattress

polka dots

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:42 pm
What is G? Do you mean 500k?

avrahamama

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:49 pm
Maybe she's looking for new and creative ideas. Maybe someone here did something unusual but it worked out nicely. Buy an apt in Israel. That's what I would do.

Or just stuff your mattress.

Wife1

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:51 pm
Buy a lembargini

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:53 pm
Government Bonds.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:53 pm
Vanguard. Low fees, use their mutual funds. Ask their representatives for help choosing

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 2:01 pm
If you want diversify you can also Invest in large real estate purchases. You own a portion of building. Get dividends paid out quarterly (approx 8-10% annually). And then cut full money back when building is refinanced plus own portion of building.
This is not insuranced or guarantee. Need to go with someone who has years of experience and proven track record.
Most experienced ppl require 100-250 k minimum

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 2:04 pm
My bank account!!

What is this money for?

I would tell you to put it in a trust fund for your kids or retirement fund for yourself or something similar but will assume that you have those accounts set up and fully funded already. Is that right? If so then this is extra money that you can just invest it in different ways like buying property which you can rent for income then sell when you need the money and still make a profit out of it.

happyone

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 2:19 pm
I would say property, if this were me, but im not a financial adviser, and neither are most anonymous people responding. He/she would best answer your question.
I wouldn't trust an online anonymous financial advisor either.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 2:22 pm
Property is not money that "you can't afford to risk". Only when the op speaks to someone irl can someone determine what that means.

No risk means fdic insured, split into different banking institutions to cover the $500,000.
Everything else has some risk. I'm not saying that no risk is the best option, sometimes a very small risk is okay but I can't believe anyone is saying property=no risk.

malki2

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 2:29 pm
צרות של עשירים

polka dots

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 2:32 pm
polka dots wrote:
What is G? Do you mean 500k?

I’m guessing you mean 500 grand. I’m a little late but eventually I get it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 2:51 pm
polka dots wrote:
I’m guessing you mean 500 grand. I’m a little late but eventually I get it.

Yes, I googled it and see the term $500G is used.

https://www.foxnews.com/entert.....fires

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 2:55 pm
malki2 wrote:
צרות של עשירים

B"H Im sure there are many here who have way way more, that make me poor by comparison.

Thats what you need for a down payment in Brooklyn or the 5 Towns.

Thats also what it takes to take your family to Israel for Sukkos or Pesach 5 times, which many do in addition to other large yearly expenditures.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 3:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
B"H Im sure there are many here who have way way more, that make me poor by comparison.

Thats what you need for a down payment in Brooklyn or the 5 Towns.

Thats also what it takes to take your family to Israel for Sukkos or Pesach 5 times, which many do in addition to other large yearly expenditures.

There are people here who don't know where the next rent payment is coming from, or how they're going to feed their kids. Having a half a million dollars in disposable assets is by any measure rich. Wanting to purchase a $2.5 million dollar home ($500,000 / .2) is by any measure rich. And I seriously doubt that anyone spends $100,000 on a Sukkot or Pesach vacation.

I honestly don't care. But acting like its not a lot of money is in very poor taste.

As others have said, its absurd to ask random women online what your should do with half a million dollars. Go to a financial adviser, discuss your goals, and come up with a plan. If you're risk averse, I'd go with a mix of T bills, T notes and mutual funds (which have volatility, but less so than individual stocks). I'd also max my IRA every year, although I assume that you're already well on your way to a fully funded retirement.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics