Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Top loader vs front loader
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:16 pm
I am in the market for a new washing machine. Which one do you ladies recommend, and why. Top loader or front loader?

Thanks

Esheschayil18

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:18 pm
Do you have the space for a front loader? You need more space since you can’t stack them.

lilies

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:23 pm
Front loader can get moldy on the gasket. Officially, it should be wiped down after each load, and door always left open.

yellow roses

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:23 pm
Space is not an issue here.

mfb

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:24 pm
Esheschayil18 wrote:
Do you have the space for a front loader? You need more space since you can’t stack them.

You can stack front loaders. Please don’t be misinformed op.
I like that I can do blankets/pillows in my front loader but not as well in the top loader.

gande

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:26 pm
IMO front loader washes better. Also is better for short people to unload.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:28 pm
I have a top-loader and I'm happy with it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:29 pm
I've had both. Front loaders are easier on the clothes. If you have lots of room you can put them on pedestals for a better height.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:30 pm
The front loaders are made better than the top loaders available today.
There are many units available that have a connection add on piece to make the 2 machines stackable.
You will need to keep the door to the front loaders slightly adjar to keep mold away. I haven't found this to be an issue.
I am very happy with my LG. When we got it we bought the connecting piece and had it stacked in a laundry closet. When we moved, we set them up side by side

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cookiegirl

gande wrote:

I haven't found a major difference in washing results, but I hate my front loader (stacked) because it is hard to unload- you really have to get down on the floor to get that last sock off the back wall. (I am taller than average).

The moldy smell factor if the door is left closed by mistake is also a big problem, IME. I regret getting the front loader, and will probably try to reconfigure my laundry area when these machines expire...

Rutabaga

I don't like front loaders. I'm always forgetting one item and I like the ability to pause the cycle and throw it in. I also like to soak really dirty things with bodily fluids (kids, you know) until I have enough to run a proper load.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:34 pm
Esheschayil18 wrote:

Mine are stacked.

4pom

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:34 pm
Regret my front loader because of major mold issues. And I keep the door open.

I do know the top loaders aren't made as well as they used to be. But because mold is no joke I wouldn’t risk it.
Ive been to people who dont even notice the mold on the inner rim of the front loader.

mfb

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:35 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I don't like front loaders. I'm always forgetting one item and I like the ability to pause the cycle and throw it in. I also like to soak really dirty things with bodily fluids (kids, you know) until I have enough to run a proper load.

My front loader can be paused and you can add items.
And really dirty things I wash on a quick wash cycle right away.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:35 pm
gande wrote:

As a tall person it’s hard for me to load and unload the machine. I stack mine so at least the dryer is tall enough that I don’t have to hurt my back. The bending very low is what’s actually hard for me.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:36 pm
I would not buy a top loader without an agitator. Check that before you buy.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:37 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
I haven't found a major difference in washing results, but I hate my front loader (stacked) because it is hard to unload- you really have to get down on the floor to get that last sock off the back wall. (I am taller than average).

The moldy smell factor if the door is left closed by mistake is also a big problem, IME. I regret getting the front loader, and will probably try to reconfigure my laundry area when these machines expire...

Yes. These are my issues too.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 6:00 pm
I'm actually short & can't really reach stacked front loaders properly. However I have a top loader w no agitator & I hate it. Never again.
Had so many problems since 6 months & Lg & retailer were no help.
Oily stains, doesn't use enough water, very harsh on clothes- so many holes in new clothes, and takes sooo long to wash & dry, the bottom plate (which replaces the agitator) fell off & needed to be replaced- but the part was no longer manufactured, etc etc.

Esheschayil18

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 6:04 pm
The agitator gets you better results

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 6:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The front loaders are made better than the top loaders available today.
There are many units available that have a connection add on piece to make the 2 machines stackable.
You will need to keep the door to the front loaders slightly adjar to keep mold away. I haven't found this to be an issue.
I am very happy with my LG. When we got it we bought the connecting piece and had it stacked in a laundry closet. When we moved, we set them up side by side

I agree with this. I like my front loader and I think it's gentler on the clothes than my old good old fashioned washing machine was. The current machines do have their drawbacks, but this has nothing to do with front loaders or top loaders and everything to do with - and I really hate to get political, but those are the facts - Obama's rules about washing machines using too much water.

I personally would recommend you get the best machine that you can afford; it does make a difference. I also have an LG and I'm really happy with it, b'h.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry