Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Transitional b certification

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:38 pm
have any of you, or anyone you know, ever had transitional b certification?

can we get it after enrolling in one or two courses, or it needs to be four courses?

can a person work for multiple schools and agencies under trans b?

can a person bill doe directly for p3 with multiple students under trans b?

rockstar

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:58 pm
Every person that completed their masters in special education has it. You need four courses and you need to take cst tests. There’s three of them art and science, literature (I think), and math. You also need to pass the eas test.
What you mean can they work under multiple agencies. Why wld that be an issue? Not always can one agency fill you up all the hours your looking for.
If your doing private p3 you can bill doe directly. It’s a bit of a complicated process but many ppl do it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 8:00 am
Thank you very much for your reply.

According to my understanding, Traditional masters programs do not include transitional b but rather they have internship certification, which is different.

I am looking into different college programs which have different types of temporary certification (internship versus transitional b) and I am trying to determine the differences prior to enrolling.

http://www.highered.nysed.gov/......html

http://www.highered.nysed.gov/......html

As you can see, the details are slightly different.

For trans b, the description says "The Transitional B certificate is tied to the school placement."

I'm not sure what they mean when they say it's tied to the school placement. does that mean you can only work in that specific school? or maybe it means the college you're attending? that you can't switch colleges? what if you start working in one school for a few months or a summer, and then you want to switch to a different school? Is it only valid when you are still working for the first school?

I'm thinking of going part time to college after getting my certificate, do I need to work for the same school for all 3 years in order to keep it valid? or can I work in different schools each year?

note: in some masters programs you can only get the internship certificate and not the trans b. in some masters programs you can only get the trans b and not the internship certificate.

the internship certificate is after completing 50% of the program and it's valid for two years. it doesn't say whether the initial certification is retroactive for that?

the trans b certificate is valid for 3 years and the initial certificate is retroactive. but I'm trying to determine if this certificate is more limited, and how.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 9:43 am
Not true that "everyone who has a masters does it."
Pretty sure SETSS etc you can bill DOE as long as you have any certification, but you should talk to agencies to make sure. You don't have to take a job with that agency.
3 years experience for going from first/temporary to professional certification does not need to be all in the same school. Not sure about separate requirements for trans b.
Re trans b vs initial it seems to me that the people who know what they're doing (TTI and Sarah Schenirer) all go with trans b.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 10:16 am
seeker wrote:
Not true that "everyone who has a masters does it."
Pretty sure SETSS etc you can bill DOE as long as you have any certification, but you should talk to agencies to make sure. You don't have to take a job with that agency.
3 years experience for going from first/temporary to professional certification does not need to be all in the same school. Not sure about separate requirements for trans b.
Re trans b vs initial it seems to me that the people who know what they're doing (TTI and Sarah Schenirer) all go with trans b.

Thank you for your reply.

It seems to me that Sara Schenirer does not do trans b but rather they do the internship certification, as per their website. "Students are eligible for Internship Certification, I.e., P3’s etc., after completing 50% of the program."

Internship certification is not the same as trans b, and they are both before initial, and initial is before professional.

So TTI and Sara Schenirer use different types of temporary certification while in college. prior to the initial certification.

I am trying to determine which type of certification is better to have in college, prior to getting initial.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 11:05 am
Ah, I am apparently out of date. Sorry for misinformation. In the past they did trans b. I'm sure the admissions advisors at either college can help you understand the options even if you don't end up in that college.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics