Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kosher Marzipan?

Mandolin

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:22 am
Anyone know of a brand of kosher marzipan? The kind that can be rolled out and used to cover a cake. If not, does anyone have a PROVEN recipe for making this kind of marzipan? Thank you.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:46 am
I believe you are looking for fondant and not marzipan.

Marzipan has a somewhat grainy texture while fondant is the very smooth stuff that is rolled and used to cover the fanciest kinds of cakes. I know that marzipan is generally sculpted into lovely decorations but I am more familiar with fondant being rolled out to cover the cake layers which are then decorated with the smaller types of decorations.

Mandolin

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:48 am
No, I hate fondant. You can get marzipan that can be rolled out for cakes. It is slightly grainy. For reference I want to make a Battenberg cake. 🙂

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:56 am
Fondant is a chocolate cake. Marzipan is neither chocolate nor cake. I buy it done

nylon

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:57 am
Solo brand is kosher. I don't always see it in my store but you can order it online. Quick image search says the hechsher is Kof-K (I knew it was kosher because I've used it but couldn't remember the hechsher!) if that matters to you.

If you can only get the almond paste you can make marzipan from it--there are recipes online. You need almond paste, confectioners sugar, and corn syrup.

nylon

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:59 am
Ruchel - in English fondant means a type of icing. I can't remember the equivalent in French for the rolled kind used to cover cakes, but the poured version is the shiny icing on petits-fours or mille-feuilles (Napoleons in English).

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:59 am
OooH I'd not call it fondant lol. #foodie

Mandolin

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:00 am
nylon wrote:
Solo brand is kosher. I don't always see it in my store but you can order it online. Quick image search says the hechsher is Kof-K (I knew it was kosher because I've used it but couldn't remember the hechsher!) if that matters to you.

If you can only get the almond paste you can make marzipan from it--there are recipes online. You need almond paste, confectioners sugar, and corn syrup.

Thank you. I googled “Kosher marzipan” but I didn’t have any luck.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:01 am
Check peppermill.com if they have. Or if you live in Brooklyn, you can check in store.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:05 am
Mandolin wrote:
No, I hate fondant. You can get marzipan that can be rolled out for cakes. It is slightly grainy. For reference I want to make a Battenberg cake. 🙂

Understand - Fondant is pretty but horrible tasting. Marzipan is delicious and I could eat it plain.

There is a cookie I make with three colored layers of essentially marzipan dough.

Battenberg cake is specific to the marzipan frosting. As others have posted, it is theoretically easy to make and I suspect much less expensive than purchasing a large enough quantity to cover a cake Very Happy

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 11:55 am
Mandolin wrote:
No, I hate fondant.

I recently found out that there is actually a subreddit dedicated to the hatred of fondant.

egam

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:07 pm
You can make your own, which probably would be much cheaper. Solo marzipan is not cheap.

Rolled Marzipan

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:24 pm
You can make your own with ground almonds. If you are in the uk you can buy SOME supermarket own brands.

Mayflower

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 1:12 pm
Renshaw marzipan is kosher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen