Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Sibling wedding an paying for gowns etc
Previous  1  2

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 7:49 pm
Round of applause for you being responsible and non-kvetchy!!! Bravo!
You are 100000% right on this one. I hope your kids treasure this lesson you're teaching them (that you work hard to be able to afford what you need, and not be irresponsible with money, and to not make a big fuss).

You are not here to please anyone but yourself. Mazel tov!

sub

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 8:00 pm
I wore the same gown to two of my children’s wedding. And I might wear it again. It looks good on me and I like it. I told all children to wear whatever they want. I wanted everyone to be happy and enjoy themselves.

ROFL

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 8:13 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
You're renting a gown. You're just renting it from a friend, for free, instead of giving money to a stranger.

Unless the gown is Gunne Sax from 1974, I'm not seeing the issue here. Do people really buy clothes to wear only once, and its declasse to re-wear? Even teh British royals wear their clothes more than once!

Mazel tov. Go. Enjoy.

I still have my Gunne Sax dress. They will only fit on one of my limbs Smile

Woman of Valor

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:28 pm
I am curious why it is even the business of your siblings where u got the gowns and the cost?
of course you are right to live within your means!
hold your head high and enjoy the wedding!
next time dont overshare - then they cant give you a hard time

catinthehat

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:26 am
kudos to OP! Stand firm and do whats right!!!
OT: I dont completely "get" the wedding gowns for married sibs. Ppl easily spend 2K for one dress for one night! My bro is getting married soon and my parents are in no situation to give the marrieds money for the wedding. Babysitting will cost me at least 200, sheva brachos about 300, makeup 120, (I have only boys so no kids gowns). I would like to look nice at the wedding, and I have a pretty good financial situation. However, I cannot bring myself to shell out more than 300 for a gown. So far I have not come up w anything.... I assume I might submit to the pressure and pay to rent something half nice. However, in a perfect world, a normal party dress that can be worn to cousins/ friends events shouldve sufficed.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics