Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Nose picker
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 6:19 pm
Any suggestions?

My 4yr constantly has his finger in his nose!

I've tried everything.

Looking for an idea I may have missed.

(He bites his nails too)

healthymom1

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 6:19 pm
My 3 yr old too. I think it's normal, just keep reminding him not to pick his nose (at least in public)

oneofakind

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 7:07 pm
Put vaseline in his nose-it gets very dry in there and tempting to pick. Sounds a little anxious. Give him squish balls, fidgety kind of toys and chatchkes to keep his hands busy.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 7:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any suggestions?

My 4yr constantly has his finger in his nose!

I've tried everything.

Looking for an idea I may have missed.

(He bites his nails too)

It’s better than your dh doing it which is a problem some people I know have. Yich.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:46 pm
Best is to ignore..a while after I stopped reminding dc stopped on his own. When in public I'd take away his hand from his face.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:48 pm
It's very age appropriate to do this.
I put vaseline wnd it usually helps.

Dolly1

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:47 pm
Very age appropriate. Older kids also do it... And sadly adults sometimes do it too:%
I feel that if u tell them they cant pick their noses it’s not gonna keep them from doing it. I always tell my kids it’s ok to pick their nose but there r two rules that go along with it: (1) they MUST use a tissue and NOT their clothing or the walls etc🤮 (2) they must find a corner out of view, where nobody sees them.
It works most of the time although I sometimes need to remind them but that’s ok. They r kids after all🤗

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 5:51 am
I'd remind they can make themselves bleed and it's not clean

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:56 am
Compulsive nail biting and nose picking are body focused repetitive behaviors, they fall under the same category as trichotillomania and excoria. NAC has been proven to help. It may be a symptom of chronic parasites.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 9:07 am
I used the no bite nail polish for DS when he was that age and it worked within two days. Completely stopped picking his nose permanently (will help with the nail biting too)
https://www.amazon.com/Bariell.....r=8-8
I had a different DS that always chewed his tzitzis so I put this on the strings and it worked for that too!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I used the no bite nail polish for DS when he was that age and it worked within two days. Completely stopped picking his nose permanently (will help with the nail biting too)
https://www.amazon.com/Bariell.....r=8-8
I had a different DS that always chewed his tzitzis so I put this on the strings and it worked for that too!

Thank you. It worked for a day, and then he bit and picked right through it.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 9:27 am
Quote:
Thank you. It worked for a day, and then he bit and picked right through it.

Maybe try applying it to the whole tip of the finger, not just the nail, and put it on again every morning so the taste doesn't wear off
Just an idea - good luck!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 9:27 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Compulsive nail biting and nose picking are body focused repetitive behaviors, they fall under the same category as trichotillomania and excoria. NAC has been proven to help. It may be a symptom of chronic parasites.

Thank you. B"h he's not pulling his hair or scratching himself, but I understand that compulsive nail biting/nose picking both fall under the same category as the above mentioned.

What is NAC? I googled it... It said it's a cough medicine to prevent asthma....??? So not so sure Google resulted the right thing for me. I'd love to hear more about it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 9:32 am
Please don't turn this thread into an OCD/anxiety in children thread.

I am looking for practical solutions for those who have successful experience with the nose picking aspect.

Stars

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 9:35 am
Vaseline in the nose for 3 days got rid of the problem for us. Reapply a few times a day. You can also use A&D ointment.

Dolly1

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 1:56 pm
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter
It seems like the majority of humanity can b diagnosed with OCD etc if we take nose-picking to the next level Laugh

lilies

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 5:47 pm
Tell him it can only be done in the bathroom. Keep sending him, he might decide it doesn't pay to go. It worked with my kid.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:47 pm
Dolly1 wrote:
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter
It seems like the majority of humanity can b diagnosed with OCD etc if we take nose-picking to the next level Laugh
I think it's important to make the distinction because for the kids that it is truly compulsive, no attempts at behavior modification will work. No threats or bribes or bad tasting stuff. It's not about motivation or willpower or bad habits. It's an honest to goodness compulsion and needs to be viewed through that lens.

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 9:29 pm
Lack of humidity is the most likely culprit, so a small humidifier in the bedroom may help along with the Vaseline that other posters mentioned. However, excessive mucus production may also be associated with chronic sinus irritation or mild allergies to dust, etc.

No need to make yourself crazy looking for some underlying pathology, but worth keeping in mind if other symptoms develop.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 9:31 pm
Fox wrote:
Lack of humidity is the most likely culprit, so a small humidifier in the bedroom may help along with the Vaseline that other posters mentioned. However, excessive mucus production may also be associated with chronic sinus irritation or mild allergies to dust, etc.

No need to make yourself crazy looking for some underlying pathology, but worth keeping in mind if other symptoms develop.
Lack of humidity would not explain the nail biting.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics