Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Having baby at 42 - what baby gear must I buy?
1  2  Next

queen

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:07 pm
Having baby at 42.

This is not my first. There's a huge gap since my other kids were born and we don't own much baby gear anymore. Also don't want to buy more than I really need.

Trying to figure out which baby items are worthwhile investing in -- keeping in mind that most likely items will only be used for 1 child, so prefer to only purchase the IMPORTANT items.

I'm thinking to purchase these items:
car seat, stroller, high chair, baby monitor.

Am I missing anything important?

bargainlover

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:08 pm
Baby bouncer or swing

happy12

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:08 pm
You can try to get stuff secondhand from friends or family.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:09 pm
A swing is good to have.
Maybe a mobile or playmat as well.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:14 pm
Besha'a tova!

Aside for the car seat and stroller, everything else really depends on your parenting style and baby's temperament.

Bouncers, swings, activity mats, jumpers, etc. are all useful baby holders if your baby needs to be put down and a blanket on the floor isn't cutting it. If you can borrow one before committing to buying that's always best. For most of my kids I didn't have any, and tbh there were only a handful of times I wished for one.

There are alternatives to highchairs if you don't really want one, baby monitors depends on your house layout, etc.

I'd have a hard time without my swaddles, and there are always more than a few times where I NEED my carriers. But I wouldn't call them basics, and you can always pick some out, stick them in an amazon wishlist, and only buy them if you decide you actually do need them.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:18 pm
Somewhere to put the baby down in the house- an infant seat, bouncer, or swing m.

Woman of Valor

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:18 pm
crib or bassinet

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:37 pm
You really just need a carseat, stroller and a place for baby to sleep. Everything else you can figure out as you go along and order on prime or borrow from a friend. I wouldn't pay for or store a bouncer or swing if I didn't have to. I would just borrow from a friend for those few months it's useful. And I lend my things out as well.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:41 pm
avrahamama wrote:
You really just need a carseat, stroller and a place for baby to sleep. Everything else you can figure out as you go along and order on prime or borrow from a friend. I wouldn't pay for or store a bouncer or swing if I didn't have to. I would just borrow from a friend for those few months it's useful. And I lend my things out as well.

Definitely agree with this. I ended up having people ask me what gift they can buy within a certain budget, so it was helpful to have some things picked on Amazon: a play mat, a diaper bag, baby carrier, swaddlers. But those are smaller items that I could have bought on my own when they were needed, not necessary from birth. I never bought or used a bouncer, swing, jumparoo, exersaucer.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:44 pm
Dont get a swing. My baby hated it as well as many of my friends babies
My baby loved the play mat
A bouncer is also a great thing to have
exersaucer takes up a ton of space and they get bored very quickly in it

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:51 pm
What’s this q got to do with your age?

You’d need whatever any new mama needs plus a lot more patience with post partum recovery

Bshah tova

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 11:03 pm
My babies only like to use:
1.Car seat
2.Stroller
3.floor/rug, if I’m on it otherwise my arms.
4. Paper towel rolls and scrunched up tissues as toys. Other toys are not interesting enough.
That’s it. Everything else they just like to look at.
Once they’re old enough for solids they sit in a $30 booster type of seat that connects to our kitchen chairs, it has a strap. I like that it’s part of the table....
I wish I could give you my swing, playmat, bouncer, cradle, all stuffing up my garage.
I gave away the high chair a long time ago.
Bshaa Tova !

happyone

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 1:32 am
the mamaroo is amazing for a busy mom. it really relaxes the baby and helps free you up a bit.

happyone

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 1:34 am
bshaa tova..
I would just stock up on alot of strength, patience and emotional energy.

the rest are just items.

queen

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 1:58 am
these are all awesome advice, thank you to all that took the moment to respond.

Crib, playmat and bouncy chair we actually still have.
will look into borrowing swing if possible.

Age specifically mentioned in original post as indicator that most likely items will only be used for one child.

Thank you for all the well wishes - and yes, davening for strength and rest (well, I'll take the strength. not sure I'll actually get the rest!!!!)

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 2:16 am
blankets for swaddling/sleeping/house. snowsuit. burp cloths. onesies. hats for home and street. stretchies. pacis/paci clips. bottles/bottle brush. bottle warmer or perculator for bottles. formula or nursing pump. cover up for nursing. carriage bunting or warm blanket for street. rain shield for carriage. baby wipes/balmex. nail clipper. bodywash/shampoo/lotion. hooded towel/ wash cloths/bathtub optional.

Toys for hands/crib/carriage optional

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 2:34 am
bibs small ones for newborns & larger ones for eating

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:48 am
Nothing to add to the ideas that were mentioned Lready but just wanted to point out- depending on the ages of your other children and your storage options it might actually be worthwhile investing and iyh you can have some items on hand when the grandchildren come.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:56 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Dont get a swing. My baby hated it as well as many of my friends babies
My baby loved the play mat
A bouncer is also a great thing to have
exersaucer takes up a ton of space and they get bored very quickly in it

Every baby is different mine lived in swing and I had to get rid of it about 8 months when the motor died and he was trying to wiggle out straped in when he woke up I have the hardest time with naps after letting bit go it was the only place he let me put him down.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:58 am
Re your age. If there is a big gap between your older kid(s) and this one, then things that are foldable and practical could bli ayin hara be used for grandkids.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics