Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Chicken soup- pieces or bones?
1  2  Next

lucky14

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 6:43 am
I always make my soup with a whole cut up chicken. They sell the chicken bones for a lot cheaper. Will it come out just as good if I get the bones instead? Is there enough meaty pieces of the bones that I could cut it off to serve in the soup? Do I just get the equivalent in weight as I usually get when I do the whole chicken?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 6:52 am
lucky14 wrote:
I always make my soup with a whole cut up chicken. They sell the chicken bones for a lot cheaper. Will it come out just as good if I get the bones instead? Is there enough meaty pieces of the bones that I could cut it off to serve in the soup? Do I just get the equivalent in weight as I usually get when I do the whole chicken?

Using backbones with necks attached makes a delicious soup. Use 3 pounds bones for an 8 quart pot.

lucky14

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:08 am
ra_mom wrote:
Using backbones with necks attached makes a delicious soup. Use 3 pounds bones for an 8 quart pot.

I'm not sure what kind of bones will be in there. Does it matter? Also is there enough "chicken" on there I can cut it off to eat with the soup? Thanks for answering btw.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:23 am
lucky14 wrote:
I'm not sure what kind of bones will be in there. Does it matter? Also is there enough "chicken" on there I can cut it off to eat with the soup? Thanks for answering btw.

I'm sure any bones will work. And there should be enough chicken to pull off.

lucky14

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:27 am
ra_mom wrote:
I'm sure any bones will work. And there should be enough chicken to pull off.

Thanks!

mizle10

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:29 am
Any bones are good. Depends where you buy they from, my bones have no chicken on them. If my kids want chicken I’ll add in 1-2 drumsticks

angelgirl

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:29 am
Carcasses without much chicken meat on, together with some stomachs and necks and some nice veggies will make a delicious soup.

Marathon

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:32 am
Bones will not give as much flavor

oneofakind

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:32 am
I find bones make a better soup than chicken pieces. It really depends on the package if you'll have enough chicken to actually eat.

tilot37354

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:35 am
lucky14 wrote:

It will be flavorful, but you won't have as much actual chicken to eat.
If you want meaty and flavorful, you can put in meat or lamb bones. It tastes delicious. Smile

Marathon

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:40 am
I put in chicken bottoms and wings

One big tip is to let the soup cook overnight and it takes the soup to the next level

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:43 am
Marathon wrote:
Bones will not give as much flavor

Actually, bones give it more flavor. Haven’t you ever heard of bone broth? But no, you won’t have chicken pieces to pollute —I mean add to — your broth.

Obviously, we prefer clear, flavorful broth. You’ll need to add other pieces if you want chicken pieces.

healthymom1

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:46 am
Bones give way more flavor than whole chicken

Marathon

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:54 am
healthymom1 wrote:
Bones give way more flavor than whole chicken

How does it make sense?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:03 am
Marathon wrote:
How does it make sense?

Because the bones, when boiled, give up the flavor and collagen. Think about it this way. Could you make chicken soup from boneless meat? No, because that’s not the source of the flavor.

Try it.

lucky14

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:06 am
OK so it's interesting to see all these responses! Do some stores sell bones with no chicken on them? I guess I'll find out what they have at my grocery!

Jewishmom8

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:10 am
I use a package of chicken necks and if I have extra I put a leg in because I like to eat the chicken but you really don't need that leg.
Soup tastes great with just necks or wings.

jfk92

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:11 am
oneofakind wrote:
I find bones make a better soup than chicken pieces. It really depends on the package if you'll have enough chicken to actually eat.

Me too! However I do cook my soup low and slow so it definitely helps develop a nice deep flavor.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:14 am
I use bones or leftover chicken. (that I have frozen from a previous week). I cook it the whole day. Overnight is a bit too strong for me. I only do that erev yom tov when cooking rings are at a premium.

lucky14

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:16 am
Marathon wrote:
I put in chicken bottoms and wings

One big tip is to let the soup cook overnight and it takes the soup to the next level

I'd be way too nervous to leave my stove on overnight. I get worried enough leaving things cooking without me in the room (especially if I go upstairs). Do you do it on the stove or a slow cooker?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics