Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Chicken soup- pieces or bones?
Previous  1  2

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:18 am
lucky14 wrote:
OK so it's interesting to see all these responses! Do some stores sell bones with no chicken on them? I guess I'll find out what they have at my grocery!

Yes.

Marathon

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:19 am
lucky14 wrote:
I'd be way too nervous to leave my stove on overnight. I get worried enough leaving things cooking without me in the room (especially if I go upstairs). Do you do it on the stove or a slow cooker?

One the stove. The fire is on very low.
Or I put up the soup in the afternoon and let it cook till before I go to sleep

emmes

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:26 am
When I don't want to use chicken bottoms, I use almost double bones than usual and I add a few wings. That will also give you moist peices to serve with the soup. The peices of chicken that are on the bone tend to be more dry.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 12:33 pm
Bones. I fill up my pot and then cover with water. Cook on low for up to 24 hours until all the collagen is melted. If it gels when cold, even better. You can also add water if too strong. I finish with fresh veg once bones are out and make chicken balls with dark ground chicken.

gold2

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 12:35 pm
I cook a whole chicken in the soup together with onion, garlic, and other veg. Gives it the best chicken flavor no salt needed at all unless you add too much water. I use the whites in the weekday for suppers there are loads of really good things you can make with them. It's really not expensive as we eat all the chicken

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 12:55 pm
Bones add calcium, boneless doesn’t. To extract more calcium, add a splash of lemon juice or vinegar.

I use whatever is available and cheap. If chicken wings are on sale, I use them. If back bones are cheap, I use them. I strip off and save the skin from the chicken I cook and make broth out of that together with vegetable trimmings. I’ll save up meatless bones that fell away from the chicken after it was cooked—they won’t make a soup by themselves, but the more “stuff” added the richer the soup will be.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 9:02 am
When making broth, I always use bones. Add some white or apple cider vinegar at the beginning, and it will pull all of the calcium out of the bones and into the broth. The vinegar will boil off so you won't taste it, and you'll get all the goodness out of the bones.

When you strain your broth, you can then reheat it with fresh carrots, celery, and pieces of leftover roast chicken. I find chicken cooked in the soup ends up really tasteless, because you lose the flavor it the broth. Bake the chicken meat separately, and season the way you like it.

This method gives you the best of both worlds, with maximum flavor and nutrition. Always make a double batch, so you can freeze it for a rainy day.

(When I'm really sick with a cold, I add some sriracha sauce and serve it over rice. That way I get a full meal with no fuss, and the hot sauce clears my sinuses. )
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics