Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
School and at home

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 1:10 pm
child gets tutoring in school through p3. Younger elemetary. School wants child to see a school councler for social issues at school. I ask the school if I could go through my insurance and have her see somone on friday or sunday. the days she has off. the school said its a school issue so it wouldn't help. I think seeing a social worker may stigmatize her more also. what do you think?

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 1:13 pm
You absolutely can use a private therapist. My son has been seeing one out of school for 5 years. They work on school related issues mainly. Social skills, impulse control etc.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 1:14 pm
If you’ll follow through with outside help then push back. Schools don’t like sending to someone outside of school because often parents don’t stick with it. Offer to have the therapist speak to school counselor and sign appropriate release.

As a social worker I see it’s very hard for parents to commit to external therapy unless the issues are very severe/ affect the home but for those that do stick it’s very effective (possibly more than my work, definitely different)

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 1:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
child gets tutoring in school through p3. Younger elemetary. School wants child to see a school councler for social issues at school. I ask the school if I could go through my insurance and have her see somone on friday or sunday. the days she has off. the school said its a school issue so it wouldn't help. I think seeing a social worker may stigmatize her more also. what do you think?

Child is ALREADY being pulled out for P3 and the school wants to pull out MORE?? I’m with you, do it on Friday or Sunday. They can’t exactly tell you that you’re not allowed.
Also, it may be easier to deal with school-related issues NOT in school.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 3:23 pm
They sometimes have a quota of how many special students they need to have & might get more funding that way. They might be looking at what's more for their benefit.

Unless with social issues, they want to work within schoolframe to help her interact with her peers in school but that has to involve other kids while in therapy session.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 5:04 pm
dankbar wrote:
They sometimes have a quota of how many special students they need to have & might get more funding that way. They might be looking at what's more for their benefit.

Unless with social issues, they want to work within schoolframe to help her interact with her peers in school but that has to involve other kids while in therapy session.

Regardless of what’s best for the student? That’s just sad :-(

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 8:06 am
In all honesty, I would do both in-school social worker and private social worker.

Especially in younger elementary, you cannot go wrong with too much help. Help is less stigmatized in younger grades and the social worker should be able to help him navigate the school environment.

I would also use a private social worker to navigate larger social issues and to help with the general picture.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children