Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you have an extra freezer?
Previous  1  2

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:54 pm
I began "storing" one for a relative when we were married for four years. As payment we were allowed to use it. When that one was taken back, I bought a used one on craigslist for under $100.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:19 pm
Don't have. Would be nice.

No money, no room

Married bh 11 years

tryinghard

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 10:36 pm
We were in a temporary apartment for the first 6 months of our marriage but as soon as we moved to a normal situation, it was one of the first things I bought. Craigslist for $100

oakandfig19

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 10:55 pm
Bought a chest freezer after about two years of marriage (a year ago). It was like $150 from walmart and delivered right to my door which was so worth it. I got it originally because I moved somewhere where Costco kosher meat and chicken is cheapest so I stock up when I go as it’s like a half hour away. But now it’s also handy because I often double recipes and freeze food for later especially kugels, soups, etc.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 10:56 pm
Have 2 extra freezers
1 the person before us left it
2 someone was getting rid of theirs so we took it
(I have them in the garage

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:09 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Have 2 extra freezers
1 the person before us left it
2 someone was getting rid of theirs so we took it
(I have them in the garage

Wow!
You use both?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow!
You use both?

Yes only when I'm super geshiked

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:14 pm
When I had one child we got a 14 cubic foot freezer (2/3 of a full freezer).
About 10 years later, a cheap used second fridge with attached freezer.
Then 4 years later we also got a chest freezer.

Freezers are my friends! I make and store so much! And we stock up on certain things. I can't make a full shabbos every week.

gdgirl

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:20 pm
My husband got one for my birthday about 2 years after we got married. I really try to be prepared and always freeze extra kugels, challa, cleaned chicken and desserts, soups... especially helpful before yomim tovim. At this point we also have an extra side by side fridge/freezer because that's what came with our house but wasnt big enough for our kitchen needs so we replaced it and put that in the basement as we tried to sell but found no buyer.

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:26 pm
I bought mine after five years of marriage and I don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner. It is such a life saver. I work from 9-4 and have 4 kids. Lots of times I pull almost the entire shabbos from it. I always jokingly remind dh that Friday was not hectic cuz shabbos came from freezer but things don’t jsut magically appear in there

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:29 pm
I wish I was more comfortable freezing food, it's easier for me to make Shabbos from scratch than to figure out how to properly cool/wrap/freeze/defrost food from the freezer.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:52 pm
After pushing off for years due to tiny space we finally bought when my daughter came home from the NICU. We kept on sending over bags of (expressed) milk to my mom & it took up more than a full freezer by her!!
(from the fridge/freezer on top)
We’re still in a 1 br with 4 kids & keep it in the bedroom. At one point we kept it 8n the kitchen but it was too tight there.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 8:12 am
No. I don't need. C'v the only time I did need was c'v shiva, but then in the end we didn't even have to put at the neighbour.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 8:15 am
We bought a chest freezer not long after we moved to a house with more space. It was on sale and less than 300. We use it for doubling food for future use and for storing freezer things bought on sale. It's also useful for pesach since we can store some things in there and seal it up.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 8:19 am
I have: 2 small ones, 2 fridge freezers, and one tall freezer. I also have access to 1.5 chest freezers. I live oot so its mainly milk, meat, chicken, gefilta fish, bread. I stock up when we go to big cities. I also cook ahead a lot for yomim tovim.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 2:09 pm
No. Never had one. Talked about getting one but don't know where I'd put it if I had it. We're apartment dwellers, and even with all kids out of the house , I have to have space to accommodate the kids and grands when they visit.

It would be lovely. I could save so much money stocking up on meat, fish and poultry on our occasional visits to lakewood. But at this point I need to downsize, not acquire more things. Just as a page looks nicer and is more navigable when it has white space between paragraphs, so is a room nicer-looking and more navigable when there is space between elements and it isn't crammed to capacity.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 2:56 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
No. Never had one. Talked about getting one but don't know where I'd put it if I had it. We're apartment dwellers, and even with all kids out of the house , I have to have space to accommodate the kids and grands when they visit.

It would be lovely. I could save so much money stocking up on meat, fish and poultry on our occasional visits to lakewood. But at this point I need to downsize, not acquire more things. Just as a page looks nicer and is more navigable when it has white space between paragraphs, so is a room nicer-looking and more navigable when there is space between elements and it isn't crammed to capacity.

We spent the extra on an upright since we can't spare the space. We can even store more stuff on top.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 3:30 pm
When I bought my first house, about two years after I was married we had a side by side in the kitchen so I bought a basic fridge/freezer for the garage.

When I bought my next house, I took the one from the garage and in my kitchen I have a full fridge and a full freezer. So bh usually have plenty of space.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen