Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Does peloton help

BatYisrael

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 7:50 am
does anyone here have/use a peloton?
our friends are moving for a year and asked if we want to house theirs. if anyone has experience im looking specifically not to lose weight per se but to tighten up my stomach area and wondering if this is good for that. I used to run but not for years and thought if I have this in our bedroom could maybe start exercising again. havent biked since I was little.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 10:03 am
Any tool that will help one exercise and make it part of your routine is a good thing.

The issue is whether you would be motivated by a specific tool. I am the kind of person who needed to have cardiac equipment in my home so that it became part of my routine which I didn't think about - I just did. If I had to drive to the gym, I wouldn't have done it - I knew that because I exercised at home and always had an excuse most of the time if I didn't keep strictly to my routine - for me first thing in the morning.

Pelton has a specific motivation system which relies to some extent on subscribing to their classes which you can view and people find to be motivating. If you don't subscribe, it is just an exercise bicycle - albeit a high quality one. An exercise bicycle is an excellent form of cardiac exercise as it provides a low impact form of exercise which also can be geared to one's ability - low or high in terms of programming intensity.

FWIW, I don't think biking is specifically for the core muscles. For that either you do the old fashioned kinds of exercises like sit-ups and the like or use the kind of exercise machines that use strength resistance to strengthen specific areas of the body..

However, if someone is offering to lend you an exercise bike, no reason not to take it because it is a good way to see if having a solid piece of cardiac equipment at home is a tool that gets you to exercise regularly AND it can be used for your whole family.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Jan 10 2020, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 2:14 pm
Statistically as well as from what I have observed among friends and relatives, most fitness equipment like stationary bikes and treadmills ends up as a rack for hanging clothing. YMMV of course.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 2:28 pm
zaq wrote:
Statistically as well as from what I have observed among friends and relatives, most fitness equipment like stationary bikes and treadmills ends up as a rack for hanging clothing. YMMV of course.

Which is why getting to try one for free is an excellent idea. OP can see if this is something she uses.

FWIW I got a relatively inexpensive exercise bike and made it part of my routine. I wore it out so when it broke, I immediately got an expensive piece of equipment because I knew that I had formed the habit of using it in my home.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 2:41 pm
Amarante wrote:
Which is why getting to try one for free is an excellent idea. OP can see if this is something she uses.

FWIW I got a relatively inexpensive exercise bike and made it part of my routine. I wore it out so when it broke, I immediately got an expensive piece of equipment because I knew that I had formed the habit of using it in my home.

I am with you on the exercise at home routine. It takes too long to dress and drive to the gym and meet people and exercise and go back home. You are limited on equipment, and the equipment isn't as clean as I like. The ladies don't wipe down the equipment when they are done. I also don't have to go through the gauntlet of ladies asking for rides on ther way out the door.

At home, I never have a waiting time, and the equipment is spotless.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 2:45 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I am with you on the exercise at home routine. It takes too long to dress and drive to the gym and meet people and exercise and go back home. You are limited on equipment, and the equipment isn't as clean as I like. The ladies don't wipe down the equipment when they are done. I also don't have to go through the gauntlet of ladies asking for rides on ther way out the door.

At home, I never have a waiting time, and the equipment is spotless.

A woman after my own heart. I hate the noise and distractions of the gym. At home I put on my music and look at the window and just drift off.

I can't say I "love" to exercise so I will take any obstacle as an excuse so routine is very important to me so I don't have to "decide" whether to do it or not. I just do it.

Sometimes I will sleep in my workout clothing so I just have to put socks and sneakers on to start and choose my playlist Smile

Oh yeah - that's another really nice thing about exercising at home. I can dress for extreme comfort without worrying about how I look to anyone else. I sweat a lot so working out in just a sports bra is much more comfortable than a t-shirt which gets soaked with sweat during my sessions.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 3:31 pm
You'd benefit more from a varied exercise program than from one repetitive motion. However, no exercise can "tighten up an area"--that's a myth.

BatYisrael

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 2:13 am
thanks all. I actually would prefer a gym but dont have the time (or to be frank the energy) so its prob home or nothing. ans I looove the convenience of having it in room, dont have to change three times and wear a skirt there and then workout and then change back just to showr and change again. it just takes up a lot of space so not sure worth it if will not do what I need . im not really objectively heavy just esp after second child have a nice little pouch and wondering if exercise esp cardio will help that. bottom line we sid yes to housing it ill try and update in a month or so! wish me luck!

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 2:26 am
BatYisrael wrote:
thanks all. I actually would prefer a gym but dont have the time (or to be frank the energy) so its prob home or nothing. ans I looove the convenience of having it in room, dont have to change three times and wear a skirt there and then workout and then change back just to showr and change again. it just takes up a lot of space so not sure worth it if will not do what I need . im not really objectively heavy just esp after second child have a nice little pouch and wondering if exercise esp cardio will help that. bottom line we sid yes to housing it ill try and update in a month or so! wish me luck!

Cardio won't do much for that. still good to get your cardio in. You need ab work. You could do crunches while on the bike.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 3:06 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Cardio won't do much for that. still good to get your cardio in. You need ab work. You could do crunches while on the bike.

Targeted exercise can add muscle, but it can't remove fat.

BatYisrael

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:40 pm
its not really fat it just seems like extra skin almost or just very loose.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:09 pm
BatYisrael wrote:
its not really fat it just seems like extra skin almost or just very loose.

That also can't be removed by exercise.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:53 pm
Hey I'll be glad to host it for a year lol.

I don't know if it'll help your specific area, sounds more like a loose skin issue. But if you have space in your house you may as well try it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 2:57 pm
The safest way to work your abs is with planks and standing crunches.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise