Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Israelis going to israel with american passport
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 9:50 am
my husband is born in israel.
we live in ny- when we got married we thought we will live in israel so I made aliyah and have israeli passport also
anyway life happened and we moved to ny.

so we live in NY for a long time and are going to israel next week for midwinter vacation.
does anyone know the law? my husband and I both have valid israeli passports but my kids dont... (only my oldest was born in israel and his israeli passport expired)
(we all have american passports)

is this a problem?
what should I do in the airport? just use our american?
thank so much

TravelHearter

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 9:56 am
Hi,
I am both American and Israeli. When I went into Israel, they let me go through with only an American passport but told me it’s a one time thing and that they won’t let again. I’m assuming that means it’s the law to have an Israeli passport as well... but that they can possibly be pushed...

sub

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 10:01 am
Depends how old the Children are. When I traveled they used to stamp their US passport with a קטין stamp. They did not have israeli passports. But this was years ago. Call the embassy and find out. Entering is not a problem, exiting israel w/o a passport is a problem. You would need a special one time permit

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 10:05 am
As much as if it were me id rather not bring it to anyone's attention I have to say that I would call the consulate and ask. I have heard years ago of people entering on american passports and then being told they would have to take care of updating when in E"Y before their return. However, the rules may have changed.
And it definitely must be addressed if any of your children are of ages that may have to do with IDF related status.
How old is your oldest son? How old are your kids?
hugs and hatzlocha

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 10:13 am
My son is 8

TravelHearter

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 10:14 am
sub wrote:
Depends how old the Children are. When I traveled they used to stamp their US passport with a קטין stamp. They did not have israeli passports. But this was years ago. Call the embassy and find out. Entering is not a problem, exiting israel w/o a passport is a problem. You would need a special one time permit

They gave me a problem entering... but that might’ve been them trying to give me a hard time

sub

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 10:39 am
TravelHearter wrote:
They gave me a problem entering... but that might’ve been them trying to give me a hard time

Yes. Entering is not the problem.

The problem is exiting. I had to get a special permit to leave because my passport had expired. My mom made an appointment in bnei berak at the office. And I took care of it there.

If your children are not registered as israelis, they could go in with another family and address but you are taking a chance. I don’t recommend that. You could end up with heavy fines and delays, just call the consulate in NY and ask for proper procedure.
212-499-5321
They are open now.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 10:43 am
So seemingly you do not have to be concerned about IDF status issues.

I would take the above advice and call and check. If theres something you can do before going it may be easier and faster and you should be able to have peace of mind.

hugs and hatzlocha

have a good shabbos

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 12:00 pm
Last time I went they didn't give me a hard time at all. Let me in and out with my American passport. I was terrified, but my husband told me to keep quiet and just move on. They had bigger concerns than me and my tichel.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 12:06 pm
The Israeli airport is so tough to exit! I'm just a regular 100% US citizen and have to endure tons of questions about where I pray and if I speak Hebrew, etc. while EXITING A COUNTY - why?

Also, if you are pulled over driving a car in Israel - the police officer spends 30 minutes trying to find out if you or your parents are Israeli citizens and you're like "No, we're American"

And once I was traveling and there was a typo on my ticket - for example said Rosenbaom in stead of Rosenbaum. US let me exit and said I should show my ticket on the way back, but Israel made an entire issue about me maybe being Israeli and trying to avoid a draft etc.

This is as a US Citizen with no family in Israel or any Israeli relatives. I cannot imagine being an Israeli Citizen and trying to pull something over...

singleagain

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 12:24 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
The Israeli airport is so tough to exit! I'm just a regular 100% US citizen and have to endure tons of questions about where I pray and if I speak Hebrew, etc. while EXITING A COUNTY - why?

Also, if you are pulled over driving a car in Israel - the police officer spends 30 minutes trying to find out if you or your parents are Israeli citizens and you're like "No, we're American"

And once I was traveling and there was a typo on my ticket - for example said Rosenbaom in stead of Rosenbaum. US let me exit and said I should show my ticket on the way back, but Israel made an entire issue about me maybe being Israeli and trying to avoid a draft etc.

This is as a US Citizen with no family in Israel or any Israeli relatives. I cannot imagine being an Israeli Citizen and trying to pull something over...

My father has told me he believes they are looking to see if you take too long to answer or are otherwise hesitant. It's not like they know the answers to questions about your synagogue or Rabbi. They are looking to see HOW you answer.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 12:25 pm
singleagain wrote:
My father has told me he believes they are looking to see if you take too long to answer or are otherwise hesitant. It's not like they know the answers to questions about your synagogue or Rabbi. They are looking to see HOW you answer.

But it makes no sense. You are exiting, not entering. It's ridiculous. I've been all over the world and have never been harrassed like that- every time I go. So stupid.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 12:27 pm
But it makes no sense. You are exiting, not entering. It's ridiculous. I've been all over the world and have never been harrassed like that- every time I go. So stupid.

A person could still be a security threat to the plane and the airport.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 12:41 pm
singleagain wrote:
A person could still be a security threat to the plane and the airport.

And every other country in the world doesn't do a good enough job?

singleagain

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 12:43 pm
And every other country in the world doesn't do a good enough job?

I'm just saying what I've heard. I don't know what other countries do or don't do and why. I'm not at all affiliated with any sort of security organization.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 12:46 pm
The laws are just different in Israel. Im Australian and when I went to Australia last year and my kids Australian passport expired I didn't bother renewing them. And we had no problem coming and leaving with our American passports.
But in Israel apparently its more strict

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 1:23 pm
Your dh will need both passports: the Israeli one to be allowed in and out of Israel and the American one to re-enter the US without going through the customs line for non-citizens. On arrival in Israel, he must get both passports stamped so that he can re-enter the US on his American one. Without that stamp showing his entry to Israel, US authorities will have to question how he's re-entering the US with no record of having been elsewhere.

Better to spend the money on the passport than take a risk. As you see from PPs, even with the right documents you can have complications; don't try to wing it without the documents.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 1:28 pm
Just to clarify, my husband and myself do have both Israeli and American passports. Its my 8 year old son that only has American

sub

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 2:06 pm
You don’t need to stamp the US passport. Because it is known that an Israeli stamp in a passport can restrict you from entering other countries.
When you enter and exit israel you receive a entrance and exit ticket with your picture. You can show that at US customs.
If your child is 8, you might not need an israeli passport. But please call and ask. Better to be prepared

sub

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 2:16 pm
BTW
If you travel often, regiter for the tsa precheck. It is definetly Worth it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics