Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Israelis going to israel with american passport
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:08 pm
My father was born in Israel, making me an Israeli citizen. I went to Israel with just an American passport without a problem. Entering is never an issue, the worst case scenario is that they won’t let you leave. But it’s rare that they will make you stay until you get an Israeli passport. I think they usually let it pass.

ccgg

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 2:18 pm
Yes, if you never registered as an Israeli citizen you can usually enter and leave uneventfully. It's when you go for an extended stay and need a long term visa that they ask about parents citizenship etc and that's when issues arise. They will require an Israeli passport, and getting one is a drawn-out affair. Long form birth certificate with letter of exemplification, Apostille, the works. This summer new requirements include letter from obstetrician who delivered the child and original discharge papers from the hospital!! (You can't make this stuff up)
I've been down this road multiple times with my children.This summer's experience was insane. I was at the consulate 4 times, and I had a lot of prior experience! If you (or your spouse) are an Israeli citizen please attend to this long before you plan to send a child to Israel for more than a quick visit.
Very new policy requires an appointment for consular services.
Also don't bring anything larger than a wallet, and a cell phone. If you have a bag they will require you to store it in a facility multiple blocks away (and pay for the privilege).
I guess we should be grateful that they take security seriously there...

sub

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 4:19 pm
CCGG
I thought an apostille is only for someone who is making עליה.

ccgg

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 4:50 pm
No, it's necessary for anyone applying for citizenship in another country. (based on international law)
Definitely required for an American applying for an Israeli passport.
First step is a long form birth certificate. That must be notarized by the State Department. Then you get the apostille. That used to be enough but now there are additional requirements.
My best advice is to try to befriend someone at the consulate and get his/her personal email address. That's what saved me.
And my daughter got her Israeli passport on Friday when her flight was the following Sunday! That was with all my background and having started the process months in advance!
More than one of her friends didn't realize on time,and now have no choice but to leave Israel multiple times during the year so as not to overstay their tourist visas...
Eretz Yisrael is truly "nikneis b'yesurim!"
Good luck!

singleagain

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 4:56 pm
Go to a misrad hapamim not in Jerusalem or tel Aviv .. And it might go faster since they are less busy

sub

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:19 pm
Ccgg
I know all this. I just went through this with my daughter who made עליה. It cracked me up that she is over 25 and needed my permission to make עליה. And the letter from the midwife. I had to go to five different offices. And a letter from the rav of our shul. And a brand new birth certificate ( her old one was not good enough).
There is one woman there ( in Manhattan israeli consulate) who is extremely helpful.
They told her that if the passport didn’t arrive she should travel with the american one. The problem always arises when exiting israel.
So if one of my children wish to apply for an israeli passport but not live there they still need the whole process? And if they are minors?

singleagain

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:27 pm
My grandfather who lived in Israel from 1947-1964 needed to get an Israeli passport when he was in his 80s (in the early 2000s) when they finally updated the computer systems to discover that he was a citizen. He couldn't leave without it. And he went to misrad hapamim in teveria which was less busy.

ccgg

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 12:28 am
Yup
Anyone who applies for a passport has to go through the whole thing.
If you end up having to go to the misrad hapnim, bring chocolate. It helps.
(To give to someone who shows signs of willingness to help. Or at least to eat for consolation if you have no such luck)
If I only had a nickel for each nugget of hard earned wisdom...

sub

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 1:21 am
Only a nickel? Inflation my dear.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 3:47 am
ccgg wrote:
Yup
Anyone who applies for a passport has to go through the whole thing.
If you end up having to go to the misrad hapnim, bring chocolate. It helps.
(To give to someone who shows signs of willingness to help. Or at least to eat for consolation if you have no such luck)
If I only had a nickel for each nugget of hard earned wisdom...

During the past few years, my encounters with the Misrad HaPnim have actually been surprisingly good. They've gotten much more efficient lately.

I have never tried giving people chocolate (seems like a weird thing to do in a place where there is no food shortage).

I find that coming prepared, having all your documentation in order and in hand, carrying exact change, bringing your own pen, etc. go very far in getting bureaucratic clerks to take you seriously and deal with you efficiently.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 4:12 am
Misrad Hapnim now makes online appointments. It goes much faster that way.
If you can, make an appointment. They do have walk ins, but those take longer.
If you arrive without an appointment, come BEFORE the opening hours. Even then there may be a line up, or even a hand written list of people waiting to get in.

With an appointment, you are in and out within forty minutes max. At least in my city.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:29 am
A few years ago I went in the afternoon. I had to go back and get another number, because they called my number before I had finished filling in the forms. I'd never seen such efficiency - and I'm not sure that I will ever again. The afternoon is generally quieter than the morning, though, even if it doesn't reach level.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:00 am
We tried to register our kids - spent many hours getting the required long form certificates, Apostille, etc and then were informed of the birth records necessary - letters from the delivering doctor, copies of third trimester bloodwork or ultrasounds- and gave up on the process. I just hope that my kids don’t have any issues going to/from when they want to learn in Israel.

ccgg

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:12 am
"Just hoping" might not be enough.
I don't usually post but am responding on this thread in the hope that my experience can help someone.
If the original records aren't available (which they aren't, because old hospital records are stored on microfilm so whatever they send you from "vital records " will be a new printout and not an original document...) insist on signing an affadavit that you are the parent, in the absence of the required records. This affadavit exists and the consulate has to give it to you. Sign and you're done.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics