Home

How would you spell chezki, chesky, cheski
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Poll

How would you spell
Chezki
 17%  [ 22 ]
Cheski
 3%  [ 5 ]
Chesky
 79%  [ 102 ]
Total Votes : 129


amother




OP
 

Post  Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:22 pm
Please,
Back to top

amother




Coral
 

Post  Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:28 pm
Hard name to pronounce
Back to top

amother




Olive
 

Post  Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:38 pm
Definitely with a Z as opposed to an S, as the correct Hebrew spelling is with a Zayin.
Back to top

HonesttoGod




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:39 pm
Id go with a z for the same reason as above.
It’s spelled ches zayin kuf yud in Hebrew. So in English that would be chezky or chezki
Back to top

amother




Bronze
 

Post  Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:40 pm
In the US the most common spelling is with an S
Back to top

amother




Pink
 

Post  Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:15 pm
I'd spell it Chesky or Chezky. It is with a zayin in Hebrew, but that can translate to either an s or z in English (like the s in the word "is," which sounds like a z).

I have two cousins with this name. One spells it Chesky, the other Cheskie.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post  Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:27 pm
My hub spells his name "chesky.".
Back to top

smss




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, Jan 11 2020, 11:12 pm
Chezky. From Yechezkel right? With a zayin?
Back to top

malki2




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, Jan 11 2020, 11:17 pm
Chezky. Definitely with a z because of the zayin.
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Jan 12 2020, 12:18 am
I think Chezky is the best
Back to top

banana123




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:28 am
The question is whether you should write Chezky or Chezki.
Of course you don't put an s in a name that doesn't have an s in it.
It's יחזקאל; not יחסקאל. Why would you purposely misspell it?
Back to top

banana123




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:29 am
dankbar wrote:
I think Chezky is the best

I agree.
Back to top

amother




Pink
 

Post  Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:51 am
banana123 wrote:
The question is whether you should write Chezky or Chezki.
Of course you don't put an s in a name that doesn't have an s in it.
It's יחזקאל; not יחסקאל. Why would you purposely misspell it?


Because the zayin in Hebrew can be spelled with either an s or a z in English.

Think of the word "is" - the s sounds like a z.
Back to top

banana123




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:00 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Because the zayin in Hebrew can be spelled with either an s or a z in English.

Think of the word "is" - the s sounds like a z.

That's almost always only at the end of a word, or the last sound of the last syllable.

And it's only s as z - the opposite does not work. There's never a z that can be pronounced as s. If Chesky had a samech, you'd have a point. It has a zayin, though, so it would never (properly) be pronounced with an s. Maybe some accents make it sound like an s, but it's never a true s and should not be spelled that way (if we are discussing the best/ proper spelling anyhow).
Back to top

bsy




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:02 am
Chezky
Back to top

amother




Pink
 

Post  Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:05 am
banana123 wrote:
That's almost always only at the end of a word, or the last sound of the last syllable.

And it's only s as z - the opposite does not work. There's never a z that can be pronounced as s. If Chesky had a samech, you'd have a point. It has a zayin, though, so it would never (properly) be pronounced with an s. Maybe some accents make it sound like an s, but it's never a true s and should not be spelled that way (if we are discussing the best/ proper spelling anyhow).


However, when you say the name, it can sound like either an s or a z.

Does the name sound more like "Chesky" or "Chezky" when pronounced?

English spelling of Hebrew words is up to the personal preference of the one writing it. There's no one "right" way. You can spell it phonetically as opposed to the "technically" correct way.

I see R' Chaskel Levenstein's name spelled with an s all the time. I'm assuming Chaskel also comes from Yechezkel.
Back to top

banana123




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:29 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
However, when you say the name, it can sound like either an s or a z.

Does the name sound more like "Chesky" or "Chezky" when pronounced?

English spelling of Hebrew words is up to the personal preference of the one writing it. There's no one "right" way. You can spell it phonetically as opposed to the "technically" correct way.

I see R' Chaskel Levenstein's name spelled with an s all the time. I'm assuming Chaskel also comes from Yechezkel.

Yes but he is pronouncing it Chaskel - so it is obviously an accent thing. He changed the e to an a and the z to an s. So he writes it as he pronounces it. And chances are in Hebrew it's written חסקל/חצקל.
But if you are asking how to write חזקי, then the answer is Chezky/ Chezki/ Hezky/ Hezki.
There are also Chatzkies, where the z sounds like a tzaddik and the e turns to an a. That's still not the same as חזקי, though. It's like asking "how do you spell חני - Chani/ Chanie/ Chany" and then saying, "well some go by Chanchky" - sure they do, but it's not the same nickname so it's not comparable.

This just bugs me because so there are also samechs/sins in davening that are widely pronounced as zayins...
Back to top

amother




Blush
 

Post  Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:28 am
Chezky , is also for Chizkiyahu.
Back to top

mazeltov




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:16 am
Chezky
Back to top

amother




Babyblue
 

Post  Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:38 pm
Definitely chezky
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names

Related Topics Replies Last Post
How do you spell 1 Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:16 am View last post
by nchr
If you could have ONE Harry Potter spell.......
by debsey
47 Fri, Aug 09 2019, 5:08 pm View last post
Any other photographers here? I'm having a dry spell...help!
by amother
27 Tue, Jan 29 2019, 5:29 pm View last post
How do you spell Tehilla in Hebrew?
by amother
9 Wed, Oct 10 2018, 2:29 pm View last post
How to spell in English?
by gnomey
17 Wed, Apr 04 2018, 9:46 pm View last post

Jump to: