Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Some people are just so dumb
1  2  Next

Zehava

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:02 pm
Ever find yourself reading a magazine, coming across peoples anecdotes and complaints and wanting to scream some sense into those pages?
Two things that particularly get my goat is
A- people who others have the wrong perception of, for good reason usually, and they just take the resulting treatment for years without saying anything.
B- people who describe themselves as the blameless victims in a situation when it’s so clear from their language that they are anything but.
Thoughts?

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:05 pm
How, exactly , is this different from
Imamother?

Zehava

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:09 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Imamother?

Not very. But anyone can post on imamother. However I’d assume that these articles have to be vetted by editors first. And sometimes I just shake my head.
And most of these would get very indignant responses here.

imanonymous

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:10 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Imamother?

Good point Wink

lilies

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:59 pm
Zehava wrote:
Ever find yourself reading a magazine, coming across peoples anecdotes and complaints and wanting to scream some sense into those pages?
Thoughts?

It is written that way on purpose. I sometimes want to reach through the page to shake someone.
They want the outrage so people send letters to the editor and discuss it with friends and family.
Makes for more magazines being sold.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 12:02 am
At least you are not bashing anyone here on ima...

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 4:11 am
And many of those dumb people live in my house.....

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:21 am
Just walk away. Stuff like that is beneath you, and doesn't deserve your time and energy.

Zehava

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 12:29 pm
So here’s one example
Someone complains that her father-in-law is a millionaire but doesn’t support them. Only gives them random insanely expensive gifts. So people assume they’re rich. Her husband is in kollel but doesn’t get a stipend. So she takes on more jobs to support herself. People want them to donate and buy stuff etc.

A. The guy needs to get a friggin job like his father did, or at the very least speak to the kollel!
B. Don’t take on another job make your husband pull his weight!
C. Tell people!! Tell them you aren’t Rothschild instead of making up excuses and living a double life for crying out loud.
D. If you’re so holy and don’t want you’re husband supporting you, at the very least sell those expensive gifts you’re complaining about. That should cover a nice few utility bills you claim you can’t afford.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 12:40 pm
I read that too and was also seeing red lol!! I get so angry at these stories. Get a job! Tell the kollel! Why pretend that you're managing. I wonder if it's an ego thing but it makes me mad 🙄

Zehava

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 12:49 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I read that too and was also seeing red lol!! I get so angry at these stories. Get a job! Tell the kollel! Why pretend that you're managing. I wonder if it's an ego thing but it makes me mad 🙄

Right?
She says she rubs shoulders with “the elite” and everyone thinks that’s her crowd.
And she writes it as in people should be aware! Like everyone should be mind readers.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:26 pm
I didn't read the story. It's possible I'm misinterpreting things since I didn't experience the tone of the article, but here's my two sense based on what was told here.

Things are never that simple. Many times when you're family has money there are certain dynamics that are hard to work with. Not every expensive gift can be sold for a profit and many times selling gifts will offend clueless or difficult parents.
Doing what's right for you comes with a price. Many times a high one. This particular woman is not willing to pay the price.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:35 pm
Zehava wrote:
So here’s one example
Someone complains that her father-in-law is a millionaire but doesn’t support them. Only gives them random insanely expensive gifts. So people assume they’re rich. Her husband is in kollel but doesn’t get a stipend. So she takes on more jobs to support herself. People want them to donate and buy stuff etc.

A. The guy needs to get a friggin job like his father did, or at the very least speak to the kollel!
B. Don’t take on another job make your husband pull his weight!
C. Tell people!! Tell them you aren’t Rothschild instead of making up excuses and living a double life for crying out loud.
D. If you’re so holy and don’t want you’re husband supporting you, at the very least sell those expensive gifts you’re complaining about. That should cover a nice few utility bills you claim you can’t afford.

What about the woman whose husband blocked a homeowners driveway? The homeowner called them in the middle of the night to move the car cause he couldnt get in/out. She was complaining how rude he was but couldnt see that her dh did wrong in parking there to begin with.

Zehava

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:38 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
What about the woman whose husband blocked a homeowners driveway? The homeowner called them in the middle of the night to move the car cause he couldnt get in/out. She was complaining how rude he was but couldnt see that her dh did wrong in parking there to begin with.

Or the series on parental alienation with mothers complaining about ravs and therapists telling their kids to cut off with them.
Or the series now on marrying off kids which is pretty much the same thing. Mothers who claim to be “so close” to their daughters until “suddenly” the kid wants nothing to do with them.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:40 pm
Zehava wrote:
Or the series on parental alienation with mothers complaining about ravs and therapists telling their kids to cut off with them.
Or the series now on marrying off kids which is pretty much the same thing. Mothers who claim to be “so close” to their daughters until “suddenly” the kid wants nothing to do with them.

I couldn't make heads or tails of the series on marrying off kids...everyone involved came off clueless and uncomfortable. I was like, really? What in the world...?! What does it take...?!

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:43 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:

Yup that one too. I've read them all Banging head

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:55 pm
The marrying off children series did make sense to me. The scenarios were usually extreme cases (daughter avoiding all contact- cold turkey, etc). I understand why those parents were upset.

lifesagift

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 2:13 pm
Just read first page here, didnt read the article so maybe im missing something but from first few posts im thinking of someone I know like that. Shes not talking to kollel or telling her husband to take a job because really she could be happy with a typical kollel lifestyle. The problem is ppl assuming shes the millionaire which she isnt n *not even trying to be*, ppl assuming shes being supported lavishly when shes isnt by a long stretch; receiving expensive gifts when she struggles to live decently is NOT supportive at all. Theres only so many ppl you can enlighten, she cant walk around with a sign on here neck "daughter of a millionaire, not on support". Never mind her father is a selfish guy who only cares how he appears to others n frequently boasts about the expensive gofts he buys so others can continue to assume that he supports her... btm line, never assume. Loke the poster who complained about women lounging at the beach all day, you see only a sliver of the story, there isnt a person without baggage so stop making assumptions

Zehava

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 3:29 pm
lifesagift wrote:
Just read first page here, didnt read the article so maybe im missing something but from first few posts im thinking of someone I know like that. Shes not talking to kollel or telling her husband to take a job because really she could be happy with a typical kollel lifestyle. The problem is ppl assuming shes the millionaire which she isnt n *not even trying to be*, ppl assuming shes being supported lavishly when shes isnt by a long stretch; receiving expensive gifts when she struggles to live decently is NOT supportive at all. Theres only so many ppl you can enlighten, she cant walk around with a sign on here neck "daughter of a millionaire, not on support". Never mind her father is a selfish guy who only cares how he appears to others n frequently boasts about the expensive gofts he buys so others can continue to assume that he supports her... btm line, never assume. Loke the poster who complained about women lounging at the beach all day, you see only a sliver of the story, there isnt a person without baggage so stop making assumptions

When you write a public letter to a magazine you are asking for assumptions. Obviously I can only read what she wrote there.
There are only so many people she can enlighten? I should think that a kollel who is holding back a stipend, or a cheder that asks for a donation, should rank pretty high on that list.
Otherwise, if you choose to work more jobs with your husband basically making no money at all, while trying to keep up appearances. Don’t come to a magazine to cry. Take responsibility for your life.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 3:39 pm
I think most of those letters are made up by the magazines to purposefully stir up controversy to get people talking about it so non readers will start to buy. (Especially if it is the magazine I'm thinking of. I know it's not mishpacha because I have a subscription and read it weekly. The others I read only on occasion, but there is one that pretty obviously puts in made up sensationalistic stories and columns. Actually I used to have a subscription but didn't renew it when it ran out. Specifically because of this type of style and faked articles.)
So I wouldn't get too invested emotionally.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics