Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you think of prince Harry and Megan moving to Canada
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:11 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
If this were true, then why would they go on record saying that they want to move to LA? (After Trump is gone, says the Social Justice Warriors). I mean, if you want the quiet life, LA would not be on my top ten list.

Actually, LA is a very good place to hide. There are enough celebrities there that they are comparatively unimportant, a medium fish in a big pond rather than a small one.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:20 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
It’s interesting that imamothers overwhelmingly dislike Meghan.

Amother, how can you say Diana wasn’t a good model, look at all of her charity work and how she connected with the people despite her difficult life.

Diana was exceptional in her charity work. It's why she's still revered, more than two decades after her death.

She was probably a decent mother. However, she made some questionable choices as a parent - including making sensational interviews where she explicitly outlined all the ways in which her children's father had betrayed her and wouldn't be a good king, and also her affairs. I get why she did it, but from her children's perspective, that couldn't have been the healthiest thing for them to see.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:25 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
If this were true, then why would they go on record saying that they want to move to LA? (After Trump is gone, says the Social Justice Warriors). I mean, if you want the quiet life, LA would not be on my top ten list.

Please link to them saying the above. I couldn't find it. All that comes up when I google are articles full of wild guesses. 99% of current articles are the work of creative minds. They have given us no information except for the original statement by the Sussexes, the statement from the queen and some official words from their spokesperson. Everything else is purely speculation.
Meghan hasn't lived in LA for a decade. Toronto has been home for her for a long time.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:27 pm
Fox wrote:

Both the Mountbatten-Windsor clan and the Spencers are virtual poster children for family dysfunction and/or dubious parenting. Can you honestly think of a childhood issue these kids wouldn't have? Diana was the best of the lot, and she was hardly an emotionally stable figure herself.

But Meghan is a fool if she thinks she's going to put one over on the Queen. That lady has lived more history than Meghan ever studied. She's not going to be outmaneuvered by a little chit of an actress.

Totally love you, and this post makes me wish we could hang out in the basement and chat about this!

I watch The Crown, which is to actual history as fruit loops is to a balanced diet. But that being said, there's a line in the recent season that has everyone sobbing for poor, poor Prince Charles (that's sarcasm, by the way.). The Queen says something to Charles along the lines of, "No one cares about you, personally."

Okay, I found the quote:
Code:

leading to this brutal exchange with Queen Elizabeth that’s destined to give him mommy issues for the rest of his life: “Mummy, I have a voice.” “Let me let you into a secret,” she replies. “No one wants to hear it.”

And while this isn't the modern way we parent our kids, with our coddling and interfering and helicoptering. I am completely guilty of this, meeting with teachers and overorganizing playdates in an attempt to make my child more successful, etc etc ad nauseum. And yet I disagree with all the horrified gasps about the Queen's supposed quote. Even if she didn't say such a thing, we all can imagine that's her philosophy in life, and it's served her well.

I guess my question is, do you really think that the Mountbatten-Windsor parenting was so dismal? Or is it specific to a theoretical leader of the free world, to put other people before himself, and let his own desires be subject to the whim of his people? If only our politicians would figure this out, and let duty trump (ha) personal desires, I think the world would be a better place. Maybe it's not the best parenting method, but maybe the results are worth it? I don't know.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:32 pm
pause wrote:
I don't care about the rest of you post, but I blame her for choosing to marry royalty and then absconding. Don't want the life that includes being a source of entertainment for strangers? Guess what, me neither! That's why I didn't marry a royal prince, a rebbish einikel nor the son of super wealthy parents.

You make choices, you gotta live with them. If you don't, you can expect people to talk negatively about you.

You are basing your opinion on the assumption that "Megxit" is because of Meghan. We will probably never know what actually happened, but it is safe to assume that Harry plays a huge part in their decision. Since way before Meghan, he has been hinting about his unease with this lifestyle. If you would have surveyed royal followers a decade ago asking "Who is most likely to leave the royal family?", the respondents would have chosen Harry by an overwhelming margin.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:34 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

In my years of following her, she has always come across kind, intelligent and fun.
She is as imperfect a human being as any other, and deserving of the same decency and respect we would accord anyone else. I know that this thread is just good fun, but who can blame her for choosing a life that does not include being a source of entertainment to strangers around the world.

I appreciate the different perspective, but if she didn't want to be a source of entertainment, why go into the entertainment industry?

pause

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
You are basing your opinion on the assumption that "Megxit" is because of Meghan. We will probably never know what actually happened, but it is safe to assume that Harry plays a huge part in their decision. Since way before Meghan, he has been hinting about his unease with this lifestyle. If you would have surveyed royal followers a decade ago asking "Who is most likely to leave the royal family?", the respondents would have chosen Harry by an overwhelming margin.

Possibly. I don't think he'd be moving to North America though. He'd stay in close touch with his family.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

If Harry wanted to leave then he could have just left and lived a life of freedom. Why wait until he is married and has a kid to leave (at least partially since he didnt give up everything)?

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:47 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Actually, LA is a very good place to hide. There are enough celebrities there that they are comparatively unimportant, a medium fish in a big pond rather than a small one.

That may be the case for Meghan who is not an A-list actor but Harry is a British Royal who gave up his role partially so he is someone the press would be after even in LA. If they want a quiet life then maybe go to some random town in Kansas or Wisconsin where no one will recognize you or even care if they do recognize you and you can work on a farm or something. LA is far from that and they will not have any privacy if they move there (but I doubt they want privacy since Meghan wants to desperately be an A-list actor and will do anything to achieve her goals).

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:53 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I don't think any taxpayer money should go to the royal family but I'm American so my opinion doesnt count.

Harry doesn't owe anything to you. He's made it clear that he's not interested in being held to that kind of scrutiny and wants to step down. But that's not good enough for you for... reasons?

If Harry and Meghan remain public figures it's because of people like you who continue to pay them any attention.

See, I wish you'd just asked nicely why people are interested in the royal family, instead of deciding that all of us are stupid and your role in this thread is to drive the point home.

I'm a small person, as you have intelligently said. I'm not especially brilliant or popular or rich or charismatic or powerful. I'm just me. And yet I look around and there's so many people who accomplish so much in this world, and I find those people fascinating.

The interesting thing about the royal family is that they come, ready made, with all those gifts. Okay, maybe not brilliant, but they're all rich, popular, charismatic, and powerful. And they just ...received this, like manna from heaven. They didn't have to work at it. And to me, it's the best social experiment of life. What do people do with the gifts they've been given? How do they deploy them? These people have the possibility to change the world with a single sentence - that's how uniquely powerful they are. They're the ultimate "influencers".

And yet most of them are a disappointment. It's the way it is. It means that we, as a people, can mourn the loss of their wasted potential. It doesn't mean that we are bad people for recognizing that potential and being upset about it. Harry and Meghan are public figures because of laws in their country and the commonwealth that make them public figures, not because I happen to be interested in them. Harry was born the second son to the future ruling monarch of a sprawling quasi-empire. It's not like he was born to John and Betty Smith, and some weirdo decided to start filming him one day. God put them in this position, and it's up to them to take the gifts they're given and either use them or waste them. But it doesn't mean their choices are in a vacuum and don't matter. They do.

We are all born into our own circumstances, and are expected to rise to the challenges we are given. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes we fail. But it's interesting to analyze WHY people fail, just as it's interesting to analyze why people succeed. And maybe that all helps us.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:00 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
If Harry wanted to leave then he could have just left and lived a life of freedom. Why wait until he is married and has a kid to leave (at least partially since he didnt give up everything)?

What difference does it make?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:09 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:

I think he didn't really want to leave. But given his current circumstances his hand is also forced.

I dont think he ever actually knew what he wanted to do. He had the world in his hand and could have pursued almost anything he wanted to. He chose to stay in the firm. Then he married someone that didn't quite know how to make a splash without making waves.

And he was never fully in charge of his own ideals. Even the charities they started pursuing together as a couple seem more of a representative of his wife's ideals.

Here's a question. What could he pursue apart from the firm that wouldn't rely heavily on his status and celebrity? And would still be dignified way to make a livin

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:14 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:

Of course it makes a difference. Millions of dollars was spent for his wedding and housing, if he didnt want to live this lifestyle then it wasnt fair to ask the taxpayers to pay for his needs. The money could have gone to charity instead of an extravagant wedding/housing for someone who doesnt appreciate it or want it altogether. That is what we call being mentchlich or a decent human being.

By leaving before he was married he would have shown that he has a backbone and is an independent, autonomous adult. But he didnt leave until after he was married and had a kid which means that he can be easily manipulated by people like Meghan who is the mastermind behind this move (because again, Harry could have done this on his own before he married and had a child but didnt do that so he didnt really want to leave).

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:17 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I think he didn't really want to leave. But given his current circumstances his hand is also forced.

I dont think he ever actually knew what he wanted to do. He had the world in his hand and could have pursued almost anything he wanted to. He chose to stay in the firm. Then he married someone that didn't quite know how to make a splash without making waves.

And he was never fully in charge of his own ideals. Even the charities they started pursuing together as a couple seem more of a representative of his wife's ideals.

Here's a question. What could he pursue apart from the firm that wouldn't rely heavily on his status and celebrity? And would still be dignified way to make a livin

It's fun to speculate about what Harry has wanted at various times of his life - but we don't have a clue.

He's educated. He can pursue whatever he wants - I understand Harry and Meghan are launching a charity.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
- I understand Harry and Meghan are launching a charity.

This is funny. We want to live on our own. We want to be independent and make our own living. We will start a charity.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:30 pm
Of course it makes a difference. Millions of dollars was spent for his wedding and housing, if he didnt want to live this lifestyle then it wasnt fair to ask the taxpayers to pay for his needs. The money could have gone to charity instead of an extravagant wedding/housing for someone who doesnt appreciate it or want it altogether. That is what we call being mentchlich or a decent human being.

By leaving before he was married he would have shown that he has a backbone and is an independent, autonomous adult. But he didnt leave until after he was married and had a kid which means that he can be easily manipulated by people like Meghan who is the mastermind behind this move (because again, Harry could have done this on his own before he married and had a child but didnt do that so he didnt really want to leave).

So you have a problem with the money the taxpayers spent on him already.
Well guess what? He is stopping to take taxpayer money. You can't blame him for things that happened in the past based on what he was born as.

As for the rest of the money, his parents are rich so he is lucky. Lots of people like that. Lots of people are born into unimaginable wealth. That's not even remotely relevant to this conversation

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:35 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:

Well guess what? He is stopping to take taxpayer money.

Um, no he isn't.

He's living in a taxpayer funded house. He insists on taxpayer funded security, which costs about $781,000 a year. He will agree to keep doing services to the crown, that he is expected to have funded. And he wants to keep receiving money from his father's holdings, which is exempt from being taxed.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:50 pm

I don't think you understand Royal Weddings.

I don't understand 'maniuplated'. "People like Meghan" - he only has one wife. Meghan is his wife. Whatever choices he makes now - he's making as a married person. He's experiencing life in a totally different way.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:59 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I don't think you understand Royal Weddings.

I don't understand 'maniuplated'. "People like Meghan" - he only has one wife. Meghan is his wife. Whatever choices he makes now - he's making as a married person. He's experiencing life in a totally different way.

In other words, he is doing what Meghan wants (as I said, if he would have wanted it then he would have done it without her so Meghan is really behind this split). Thanks for confirming.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:02 pm
In other words, he is doing what Meghan wants. Thanks for confirming.

I truly hope you aren't being serious.
Page 8 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics