Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How much is this used gown worth?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:10 pm
Want to buy a gown from my friend. She bought it for 650 and wore it 2 times. What’s a fair price to pay?

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:12 pm
half

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:44 pm
Her asking price, maybe around $400?
Since you can wear it and resell it.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:49 pm
Don't count on being able to resell. It's very hard to sell a used gown.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:52 pm
on the site thred up I got ripped off and got pennys for what I sent in they dont even take gowns

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:55 pm
"Worth" is a relative term. Just look at the prices for various things on Ebay.

There's the original price, there's what the seller thinks it's worth, and then there's what the buyer is willing to give. Rarely do all of these things line up with any sort of predictable formula.

I once listed a pair of earrings, that I usually sell on my website for $25.00, with a starting bid of $1.99. Nobody bid. I relisted them a week later, and a bunch of people bid. The final selling price was $79.00!

It only took me a few minutes to make the earrings, and the materials were not very expensive or hard to find.

So, what were the earrings worth? Would it make a difference if I'd made 100 pairs, or if they were one of a kind?

The market decides in the end.

agreer

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:43 pm
Is it a designer name?

If not, a used gown is worth nothing.

If it saves you the hassle of buying your own gown, then that's worth something, to each her own.

I wouldn't pay more than $200 for a used gown.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:45 pm
agreer wrote:
Is it a designer name?

If it saves you the hassle of buying your own gown, then that's worth something, to each her own.

This is so disappointing to hear. My custom gown was $1650 and is sitting in my closet for 7 years already. I plan to sell it one day...

Fabulous

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:46 pm
If it’s super beautiful usually 300-400. If just nice, around 200-300

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:06 am
She wore it twice?
I can't imagine paying more than $350.

rae

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:13 am
Usually half what she paid, once it’s worn. Especially if she wore it twice. If it’s in good condition, prob. $300-$350. Def not more unless it’s a designer price that she got a great deal on.
I think $300 would be fair.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:31 am
agreer wrote:
Is it a designer name?

I don’t get this is? It’s only worth nothing if no one wants it. If somebody wants that color, size and style then it’s worth nothing to them.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:41 am
I wouldn't pay more than $250 for a gown that was worn twice. And you probably won't be able to resell it if it was worn 3 times.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:41 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
This is so disappointing to hear. My custom gown was $1650 and is sitting in my closet for 7 years already. I plan to sell it one day...

I don't think you'll have any luck selling such an old gown.

meme6

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:41 am
There’s actually a Jewish used gown place on Instagram instagowns people have sold lots of used gowns through them! The longer a gown since I’m the closet the less valuable it is.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:56 am
I would say $200-$300

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:15 am
Probably less than half than what she paid for it.
Of someone customer made a beautiful gown with high quality material (lace, feathers, etc) and well made (tailored, etc) and paid $2000, yes j could see myself paying $500, and I could definitely see others pay $1000. It's still a great deal for a beautiful gown.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:38 am
Many times the embellishments are falling off on used gowns....

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 1:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Want to buy a gown from my friend. She bought it for 650 and wore it 2 times. What’s a fair price to pay?

The guideline, in consignment, is 25% to 40% of retail. So between $150 and $250.

Its used. Its last year's style, or maybe 2 years ago. And things go on sale ALL the time. This $495 Halston gown is now $161. https://www.bergdorfgoodman.co.....85305

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 1:31 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I don’t get this is? It’s only worth nothing if no one wants it. If somebody wants that color, size and style then it’s worth nothing to them.

I can walk into any store, or any seamstress, and get a brand new gown that's exactly what I want. I'm not going to pay even close to that for someone else's gown that they already wore, that's probably not exactly what I want.

That's the beauty of buying used, though. Its a lot cheaper. If it weren't, I'd buy new.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics