Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Chizuk for those who fall behind in learning schedule

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:08 pm
Help me out please ladies.

I lost track of where I was up to & just redid about 5 blatt. I am on Niddah 49 & determined to catch up.

But I really want to start Nach Yomi too, right now I'm in the middle of the intros.

My only nechama is that if you do a bit more than 1 day's worth on most days, eventually you catch up. I do that s/t with parsha, which some years I just gave up if I wasnt feeling well & missed a few days. Now I just try to do each day's aliyah & sometimes double up if need be to catch up.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Help me out please ladies.

I lost track of where I was up to & just redid about 5 blatt. I am on Niddah 49 & determined to catch up.

But I really want to start Nach Yomi too, right now I'm in the middle of the intros.

My only nechama is that if you do a bit more than 1 day's worth on most days, eventually you catch up. I do that s/t with parsha, which some years I just gave up if I wasnt feeling well & missed a few days. Now I just try to do each day's aliyah & sometimes double up if need be to catch up.

you want chizuk from us?? I think you just gave me some much needed chizuk!! Or more like a helpful smack on the head Wink I've been trying for years just to do SOME aliyos each week with Rashi, thinking that's a reasonable goal, to finish chumash with rashi in a few years. And you do it all every week, PLUS DAF YOMI? and now Nach?? no chizuk from me sorry, just awe Heart

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:31 pm
Quote:
And you do it all every week, PLUS DAF YOMI? and now Nach??

The parsha with Rashi, if you do one aliyah most nights, takes less than ten minutes.

Daf Yomi I started last cycle & finished Shabbos way way behind e/o else. Thought I was not going to be able to do it. Then someone here mentioned that Chullin was starting, & I've learned parts of Chullin (full confession: I went to a modern school & learned Gemara for several years) so I thought I'd try again.

And I mostly kept up until about Succos. So I am now only a month or two behind.

And I haven't really started Nach yet, but they're only about 20 min a day or so.

A day when I'm in the car I get a lot done. A day when I spend some time in the kitchen I get a lot done. Other days, not so much.

I finally began to suspect as a Bubbie that I may be ADD. So I can't just listen to a shiur. I have to either drive or cook, or take notes (Shabbos I did very thoroughly like 1000 pages of notes) or do needlework, or play solitaire while I listen....

(Also remember I'm a Bubbie so usually not taking care of kids (unless they need some help). What else should I do with my time besides wasting time on-line?)

Aylat

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:07 pm
Yep, you're an inspiration OP!

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:28 pm
For me if I fall behind I do less detail. Like listen to a 5 minute shiur rather than go through the whole thing in detail. I prefer that.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:29 pm
Is nach yomi starting now? Anyone got a short shiur?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 3:46 am
OP, my hat is figuratively off to you!
BH I do listen to a lot of substantial stuff, not just talk radio. There is so much to listen to! And sometimes I'll want to spend tat 20 minutes in the car listening to machshava, or finishing up something else. So I have to really do some prioritizing, and set some realistic goals. Realistic goals for me, because we all have our individual definitions.

Hatzlacha!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:26 am
OP, you are truly amazing. Here I was, so proud of myself because I just now caught up on Daf Yomi after falling behind at the end of last week. You are in the process of making up so much more!

In Berakhot bottom of 8a and top of 8b, there is a discussion about some tannaim and amoraim who tried to read ahead or make up when they fell behind in reviewing the parasha, שנים מקרא ואחד תרגום. And even though it’s clear that it’s best to do the learning together with the kahal, Rabbanit Farber emphasized in her shiur that the main thing is when one falls behind is just to catch up (rather than skip) and get to the point when you’re with the kahal again. You are doing this, and it’s wonderful. Go OP!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics