Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is this a false positive?

momof2+?

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:14 pm
A tiny backstory: my husband had a sore throat last week which resulted in 2 negative strept throat cultures. My throat has been bothering me for the past 2 days, but I am taking the wait and see approach (since I probably have what husband has...)
Meanwhile my toddler had fever friday afternoon through motzaih shabbos. Motrin brought it down, he had a runny nose, but otherwise was in the best, most energetic of moods. His fever stopped m. sHabbos, but my husband brought him to urgent care anyways. Negative strpt throat culture, no ear infection.(PA didn't even swab for flu, I guess he was too chipper)

Today, they call back that the overnight culture is positive. He hasnt had fever all day and is acting perfectly fine. I am just confused!? Does it make sense for strept throat to present like this?
Is my 'what feels like a lump in my throat' with no fever possibly strept throat too? Can I wait to see if it gets worse?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:18 pm
My pediatrician is not quick to prescribe antibiotics. But when there's a positive overnight culture she always insists on antibiotics. Untreated strep can have dangerous consequences, no matter how mild the original symptoms are. It's normal to assume you all had the same illness, but there's so much going around that it's also quite possible that you're dealing with different infections. If I were you I would assume the culture is accurate, and also get swabbed yourself.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:21 pm
As per my pediatrician, 20% of people walking around will test positive for strep.

tweety1

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:42 pm
I never heard of an overnight being a false positive. Rapid oh yes. But not overnight. Strept can be dangerous. I would treat it.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:55 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
As per my pediatrician, 20% of people walking around will test positive for strep.

For a rapid strep test not for an overnight one
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics