Home

Toddler Napping in the Car: My Worst Nightmare
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


CHMother




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 4:26 pm
My oldest is 3, turning 4 in a few months. Since he was about 2.5, he hasn't been getting regular naps by his morah. Instead, he falls asleep on the 15+ min drive home after school. Problems? A. He doesn't fall asleep till 9/10 the earliest when he does this. B. He wakes up in a terrible mood, cranky, tired, and irritable... the works.

We considered improving his sleep schedule and we're doing our best (but I'm not going to kid myself that I have true control over him falling asleep at night), but it's also possible he's just tired from a long stimulating day at morah. I'm at my wits end. I've tried so many things to keep him awake - silly stories, loud music, children's CDs, open windows... Nothing works!! He's still falling asleep many afternoons. Any ideas??


Last edited by CHMother on Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 4:31 pm
Same with my nephew. He's 2 1/2 and falls asleep during the car ride from Morah to my house (I watch him after school till sis gets home from work. ) Right now he's out cold on the couch!

If he wakes up while I transfer him to the couch, he's in a bad mood and can scream for an hour or more.

Sometimes it works for me to just let him nap for a little - like I'll try to see if he wakes gently in like 1/2 hour or so...if it's just a little nap, he doesn't give his Mommy such a hard time going to sleep at bedtime.
Back to top

CHMother




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 4:39 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Same with my nephew. He's 2 1/2 and falls asleep during the car ride from Morah to my house (I watch him after school till sis gets home from work. ) Right now he's out cold on the couch!

If he wakes up while I transfer him to the couch, he's in a bad mood and can scream for an hour or more.

Sometimes it works for me to just let him nap for a little - like I'll try to see if he wakes gently in like 1/2 hour or so...if it's just a little nap, he doesn't give his Mommy such a hard time going to sleep at bedtime.


Yep, my DS is out cold on my couch now... Maybe I can try that, letting him nap for half an hour and then gently waking him. My biggest problem is when I need him to walk - after all, I have another son who is younger than him plus 3 bags and a public parking lot... I don't love the idea of leaving him sleeping in the car while I bring everything else in (especially since he's the type that if he wakes up and doesn't see me he'll be terrified). I also don't always have the energy to carry him.

And of course, I'm not always lucky about him not waking up during transfer and always sleeping nicely afterward.
Back to top

imorethanamother




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:36 pm
I feel like this post title is clickbait. I seriously expected to find a family that is now homeless and is sleeping in the car.

A toddler sleeping in the car on the way home? Seriously not the worst nightmare scenario. You can play engaging toddler music and encourage him to sing along. Or you can wait until they grow out of it, which they will. Or you can put your foot down and put him or her in a crib/bed at 8pm, even if he doesn't fall asleep.
Back to top

amother




Seagreen
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:37 pm
I might get bashed for this... but I would give him a lolly or winkie to keep him up in the car.
Back to top

mrsjay




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:39 pm
Just another idea maybe having an awesome snack for him on the way home show it to him as soon as u get into the car but stall for a few minutes till you give it to him.
Back to top

amother




Powderblue
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:47 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I feel like this post title is clickbait. I seriously expected to find a family that is now homeless and is sleeping in the car.

A toddler sleeping in the car on the way home? Seriously not the worst nightmare scenario. You can play engaging toddler music and encourage him to sing along. Or you can wait until they grow out of it, which they will. Or you can put your foot down and put him or her in a crib/bed at 8pm, even if he doesn't fall asleep.


Same same same. I’m picturing a homeless family.

This is so far from a nightmare.
Back to top

zaq




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:41 pm
B”H! I thought this was going to be about ima sleeping in the car because she and her toddler are homeless.

ETA looks like great minds think alike.
Back to top

MiracleMama




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:45 pm
I don't know what to respond. Just thankful that you have a real roof over your head. I was really worried by your subject heading.
Back to top

gdgirl




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:29 pm
... and I was worried that you left a sleeping kid in the car!!!
Back to top

CHMother




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:04 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I feel like this post title is clickbait. I seriously expected to find a family that is now homeless and is sleeping in the car.

A toddler sleeping in the car on the way home? Seriously not the worst nightmare scenario. You can play engaging toddler music and encourage him to sing along. Or you can wait until they grow out of it, which they will. Or you can put your foot down and put him or her in a crib/bed at 8pm, even if he doesn't fall asleep.


Everything you said is ridiculous. "My worst nightmare" is a commonly used expression and not to be taken as "people are dying and everyone's crying." I had no intention of click-baiting anyone, I just tried to express myself as concisely as possible.

Why do you even think about people being homeless and sleeping in the car? And how exactly, in your mind, does that fit under the topic of "parenting preschoolers"? I think you're just the type of person who likes to hear sob stories about other people, in which case I have nothing to apologize for (unless you want me to apologize that I'm not homeless... Banging head).

And yes, my child ruining my entire night multiple times a week and 1.5 years of no success improving the situation is kind of a big deal. No need to start comparing my troubles to the troubles of homeless people - a simple, "wow that sounds hard," would be just fine.

Like I said, I tried music and singing etc. I can wait until he grows out of it, but meanwhile I'm having a serious struggle - is it a sin to try and find an alternative solution?? And I do put my foot down, I put him to bed between 7-7:30 and he is awake and causing tumult until 10 o'clock anyway. Are you suggesting I physically restrain him? I hope not.
Back to top

amother




Powderblue
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:07 pm
CHMother wrote:
Everything you said is ridiculous. "My worst nightmare" is a commonly used expression and not to be taken as "people are dying and everyone's crying." I had no intention of click-baiting anyone, I just tried to express myself as concisely as possible.

Why do you even think about people being homeless and sleeping in the car? And how exactly, in your mind, does that fit under the topic of "parenting preschoolers"? I think you're just the type of person who likes to hear sob stories about other people, in which case I have nothing to apologize for (unless you want me to apologize that I'm not homeless... Banging head).

And yes, my child ruining my entire night multiple times a week and 1.5 years of no success improving the situation is kind of a big deal. No need to start comparing my troubles to the troubles of homeless people - a simple, "wow that sounds hard," would be just fine.

Like I said, I tried music and singing etc. I can wait until he grows out of it, but meanwhile I'm having a serious struggle - is it a sin to try and find an alternative solution?? And I do put my foot down, I put him to bed between 7-7:30 and he is awake and causing tumult until 10 o'clock anyway. Are you suggesting I physically restrain him? I hope not.


Sigh. Why do we think of people sleeping in cars? Because it’s a reality for a lot of people. A lot of people.
Back to top

CHMother




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:09 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I don't know what to respond. Just thankful that you have a real roof over your head. I was really worried by your subject heading.


Gosh you guys are hopeless.
Back to top

CHMother




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:11 pm
mrsjay wrote:
Just another idea maybe having an awesome snack for him on the way home show it to him as soon as u get into the car but stall for a few minutes till you give it to him.


Thank you for that idea, next on my hit list!
Back to top

amother




Emerald
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:14 pm
CHMother, there was an imamother who was planning on sleeping in her car. As in, every night, instead of inside a home. She posted asking about best features for sleeping in a car. That might explain some of the reactions you received.
Back to top

CHMother




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:20 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Sigh. Why do we think of people sleeping in cars? Because it’s a reality for a lot of people. A lot of people.


I didn't say it isn't. I know it's a problem. But why would you assume that "sleeping in the car" means "living in a car"? Why does your mind go there first? Especially when the topic is parenting...
Back to top

Frumme




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:21 pm
It may be possible that you're waking him up during a bad part of his sleep cycle (thus why he is waking up super cranky after a 15 minute nap).

It may be a bit annoying, but maybe try sitting in the car with him until he's been asleep for 30 minutes in total (as opposed to fighting his nap). Some toddlers are very sensitive to the exact amount of sleep they get and it's surprising how much 10-15 extra minutes makes of a difference. He might still be up until 9 but at least he'd be in a better mood hopefully!
Back to top

CHMother




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:23 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
CHMother, there was an imamother who was planning on sleeping in her car. As in, every night, instead of inside a home. She posted asking about best features for sleeping in a car. That might explain some of the reactions you received.


Got it. Topic changed.
Back to top

amother




Crimson
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:37 pm
honestly my thought was that toddler fell asleep, you forgot about child and left him/her there aka worse nightmare- forgetting a child in car.
Back to top

mrsjay




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:03 pm
CHMother wrote:
Thank you for that idea, next on my hit list!


I’ve done the singing ...peekaboo, food usually works the best I always have emergency snacks in the car this I would call an emergency! I totally feel you my sleep is everything ...it’s either normal sleep or check me into a psych ward.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers

Related Topics Replies Last Post
In Miami for vacation need Dr for toddler
by amother
7 Today at 8:54 am View last post
Toddler eats all day!
by amother
32 Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:39 pm View last post
Need to get a car from Lakewood to Flatbush
by DVOM
2 Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:14 pm View last post
Tel Aviv with toddler
by ggdm
8 Mon, Jan 20 2020, 6:33 pm View last post
by ggdm
Toddler has strange rash chest
by Angel
0 Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:16 am View last post

Jump to: