Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pulling my baby out of her babysitter
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:25 pm
Simple1 wrote:
In an emergency, they would put the babies in a port a crib (with wheels) and roll them out.

In NJ, the legal daycare ratio is 1:4.

I've always sent to our JCC daycare. It has porta cribs also in the infant rooms, and all of the classrooms (ages 0-5) have their own door going immediately outside. In the infant rooms, the cribs are near the door. The guaranteed ratio is 1:4 for infants, but in practice most of the time it's 1:3 or better. Seems as or more secure than my own home.

banana123

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:50 pm
gamanit wrote:
When choosing a babysitter you should ask her what her emergency plan is. She should have some idea what she would do. Unless you're treating the babies like dolls you should be able to find a configuration that will be safe for up to five minutes or so.

What type of emergencies are likely to happen depends on your area. There aren't ever any serious earthquakes where I live and no threat of missiles/sirens at the moment. I guess there's also the risk of a gas leak or flood.

Combustible vs. not combustible isn't only about whether or not it's a frame building but also regarding which sheetrock (if any) was used for the construction. You can find this information out by looking up the certificate of occupancy or other building related documents. The building I'm referring to was built with brick and concrete.

Agree 100%. And thank you for explaining.

banana123

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:53 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
No. Extreme safety requirements for babysitters raises the cost and leads to financial stress.

So how do you define "extreme safety requirements"? More than what is legally required? Or more than those operating illegally (and cheaply) provide?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 6:17 pm
I babysit from he, and speaking from that side PLUS being a mother of 2, I would NEVER be comfortable with so many kids, with only one adult!!!! That's nuts! Especially when kids are so young!!!

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 6:29 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I hope you’re getting paid well!

13 an hour. I love the kids though, even though I'd make more doing other things. I just TRY to keep it to part time so I don't completely burnout.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 6:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What’s the legal ratio in NYC?

I believe the legal ratio for non-legal daycares (if that wording makes sense) is 1:3

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 6:39 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I babysit from he, and speaking from that side PLUS being a mother of 2, I would NEVER be comfortable with so many kids, with only one adult!!!! That's nuts! Especially when kids are so young!!!

What would you say is an ok ratio?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What would you say is an ok ratio?

Babies, aka under 2yo, 3kids per adult. I've done 4 (for 6mo,1yo, and 2 2yo) and realized it was nuts! And so easy to have a mishap and not catch it in time so I only did it one day.

I've done 5 at a time, but the youngest was 2 and oldest 9, so that's no big deal.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics